TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

teslaweather.com Update

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by PattyChuck, Apr 2, 2014.

1. PattyChuck

PattyChuck P6703 VIN4080

teslaweather.com is now location aware!

I'm not sure if anyone is even using this site anymore, but with the addition of geolocation in 5.9, you don't have to manually enter your zip code any more. If you get out of the car, the browser now automatically reloads whatever page you last had open when you push the brake pedal and/or just open a door. The site will also refresh every couple of minutes while you drive, so if you cross from one weather reporting station boundary to another, it will update both the radar image and the weather automatically. If it loses your location, the site will continually try to refresh until it gets a lock.

Props to Tesla, their browser only asks you once if you're cool with a site being location-aware.

This is a bare-bones site, not nearly as fancy or in-depth as some of the other options out there. I'm a hobby web designer using brute-force-it-until-it-works code, so don't look under the hood too closely!

2. Amped Plants

Amped Plants Member

I love this web page and have it favorited. Thank you!

3. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Pilots use it A LOT :)

4. WeazL

WeazL Moderator - Hawaii

Nice feature for those in the continental US. Over here in Hawaii, it shows us a regional map of the west coast. :(

5. PattyChuck

PattyChuck P6703 VIN4080

Yeah, sorry about that :redface: The site where I'm getting the info from does not have satellite imagery for Hawaii (or, more specifically, anything outside the Continental US) in an easy-to-grab way. I'll dig in a bit deeper and see if I can find a suitable fix.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha! That's ironic. I originally wrote the PHP script that parses the METAR data when I was working toward getting my PPL. That was several years before I got a Tesla, but I figured I'd just recycle the old code and make it fit. I don't fly anymore, but glad to know it's being put to good use outside of the car lol!

6. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

I use the site on road trips...it is quite useful.

7. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

Love your site! Clean, simple and looks awesome!

8. JaredBanyard

JaredBanyard Member

I hope my open source code helped you out ;)

9. PattyChuck

PattyChuck P6703 VIN4080

Honestly, I haven't a clue what you're talking about. Open source code for what, exactly?

10. liuping

liuping Active Member

It looks nice, unfortunately location correct for me. I'm in Carlsbad,CA and the Metro Region Area shows LA every time. It labels the map correctly, so it knows where I am, but the map itself is for LA

11. PattyChuck

PattyChuck P6703 VIN4080

This is because the site where I'm getting the Metro radar does not have an image for the San Diego area. The closest metro radar image is in LA. There are only two available images for CA... the area around LA and the area around San Francisco. :redface: