Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got this disappointing text just now:

Tesla Update - We currently expect your Model Y to be ready for delivery 3 - 6 weeks from today. We'll continue to provide updates as your estimated timing gets closer.

Please note that this timeframe is an estimate and may shift in either direction.

This is an automated message. For more information or to chat with us, please visit tesla.com/deliveryday

I got the same text just now except they're saying 2-4 weeks. I'm in Alberta. Config is blue performance Y with white interior, FSD, and tow hitch.

I got the same text just now except they're saying 2-4 weeks. I'm in Alberta. Config is blue performance Y with white interior, FSD, and tow hitch.

I'm bummed, I ordered on July 12th (LR AWD 20" w/ tow hitch) with the estimated 4-8 week delivery window. Now, 3 weeks in, I just got a text pushing things out 5-8 weeks from today. So it seems that the initial 4-8 weeks that they were suggesting is more like 8-12 weeks. I kind of wish we hadn't sold our car the other day... good thing we have another car. My fault for jumping the gun I guess.

Hi, everybody. I have updated the question about the Delivery Preparation Email based on the text posted here by @LNL_HUTZ. I copied it below.

@LNL_HUTZ, yes that is the Delivery Preparation Email. Even if it wasn't before, it definitely is now after I changed the question to match your email. Cheers.

It's interesting that Tesla's email asks people to finalize their checkout. Is finalizing checkout a new term? This creates the impression that buyers haven't actually completed the checkout until they complete these steps. I'm not sure whether that's officially the case or not but I want to make sure the survey uses the same terms Tesla uses during the purchase process. They keep making changes. Therefore let me know if you see any question where we should update the wording. Thanks.

Congratulations on your Model Y order & welcome to the Tesla family! It has been a pleasure working with you.
As discussed, before we can schedule your delivery appointment you will need to complete the following steps in your Tesla account:

1. Enter your home address & select your delivery location
2. Enter your Registration Information
3. Upload your Driver’s License
4. Indicate whether you will be trading in a vehicle (if yes, add the VIN, mileage & payoff amount)
5. Select your payment method & complete the credit application if you intend to finance with Tesla
6. Email me a photo of your current auto insurance, so I can upload it to your account
7. Lastly, press the blue “Submit” button at the bottom of the page to finalize your checkout

By the way, I'm pretty sure those updated delivery timelines (4-8 weeks, etc) mean they will do everything humanly possible to deliver all cars they can by the end of Q3. Tesla really wants to reach 500K deliveries this year and they have a pretty good chance, I would say 95% chance. Therefore, they want to maximize Q3 deliveries. Sometimes they even have bonuses for delivery staff in the US if they hit certain quarterly targets. If you are interested in quarterly/yearly Tesla deliveries or delivery estimates, you can follow me on Twitter here. My last estimate for Q3 2020 was 145K here. I'm working on an update.

Last edited:
It looks like production has resumed:

u6ZoKkb.png

Reactions: seangoggin
t's interesting that Tesla's email asks people to finalize their checkout. Is finalizing checkout a new term? This creates the impression that buyers haven't actually completed the checkout until they complete these steps. I'm not sure whether that's officially the case or not but I want to make sure the survey uses the same terms Tesla uses during the purchase process. They keep making changes. Therefore let me know if you see any question where we should update the wording. Thanks.

@Troy So I obviously don't know what the transaction used to look like, but this was definitely the impression I formed too--the order didn't seem to become "final" until I entered the information, including the financing application. It is a lease, which conceivably could have something to do with it, right? Have you given thought to adding a column for cash/loan/lease?

Reactions: Troy
Hi, folks. I'm thinking of removing the 'Finalize Checkout Email' column, formerly known as 'Delivery Preparation Email' column. It looks like it almost always shows 0, 1, or 2 days after ordering. Let me know if there is something else we should track that happens before delivery.

What else would you like to ask other Model Y buyers that you might find useful to know?

I ordered 7/25, received a phone call about a match that was at another store on Tuesday, and will be picking up tomorrow. vin at 25***, production date 7/20. PUP, Grey/Black. I am/was worried about being a reject as well, but I was told it was assigned but the person can not take it due to finances.
I was also under the impression that the VIN #s are not in chronological order, isn't that accurate?

I received pictures of the car and it is still wrapped in plastic, so those that are getting a car much quicker and think it's a reject, that is not the case, at least for me.

I’m really disappointed in Tesla. Today is the 8 week mark since placing my order on 6/12/20 and with the exception of one call to apologize for the delay and say they are working on it, I’ve had radio silence to any of my inquiries. My loan approval is expiring. So now if/when they finally do get a car I’m going to have to take another hard inquiry hit on my credit.

Order is a blue performance non-upgrade with 20” inductions and FSD.

On the bright side, I still get to enjoy my 2016 S 90D a bit longer.

NY:
I got the standard text saying car will be ready in 3-6 weeks on 8-6-20. This morning I got a text saying the car is ready to be picked up and I need to schedule the pickup by tonight. Apparently the cars can stay on ground for only 3 days, so I have only Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday pick up options only.

So if you get the 3-6 week text it means you are already matched for a car and it is on its way to pick up location. Hope this helps some of you.

• Informative
I got the "5 to 7 weeks" text yesterday. According to the local sales manager, the factory supposedly switched from export production to domestic within the past week. He was expecting to see increased local delivery volume before the end of the month as a result.

Coincidentally, if anyone is looking for a sleeper (performance model without the performance package upgrade, meaning 19" wheels and regular brakes and suspension), they had one available to buy at Corte Madera yesterday.

I got the "5 to 7 weeks" text yesterday. According to the local sales manager, the factory supposedly switched from export production to domestic within the past week. He was expecting to see increased local delivery volume before the end of the month as a result.

Coincidentally, if anyone is looking for a sleeper (performance model without the performance package upgrade, meaning 19" wheels and regular brakes and suspension), they had one available to buy at Corte Madera yesterday.

they offered me that car a week ago. Vin is 11xxx