Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw someone from the same area as me, who had almost identical config, got their VIN 4 days after ordering?!?!? What the hell is going on? I am about to cancel my order and order again cause maybe I will get it faster. Tesla's internal order management system SUCKS!

Just saw someone from the same area as me, who had almost identical config, got their VIN 4 days after ordering?!?!? What the hell is going on? I am about to cancel my order and order again cause maybe I will get it faster. Tesla's internal order management system SUCKS!
Is there something you didn't complete on your order page?

May have to call Tesla and ask what is going on.

Ordered 9/24 (Blue Black , FSD, 19 in)

9/30 - 2020 VIN assigned. Too early as I wanted it around Oct 22 so rejected VIN.
10/5 - 2020 VIN assigned. Rejected too early and its a 2020 VIN.
10/15 - 2020 VIN assigned. Rejected as its a 2020 VIN.
10/20 - 2021 VIN assigned (666xx). Made full payment. Not sure if its in factory or in Burbank CA for pickup on 10/22. LOL !!

Reactions: dc_h
Is there something you didn't complete on your order page?

May have to call Tesla and ask what is going on.
Nope. Insurance uploaded, $0 dollars owed. My manage order page just says “Next Steps” and has “Insurance” with a check mark next to it since I uploaded it already. I asked my SA multiple times already if my account had some hold or I was missing something and he assures me it’s all good. My SA has been been pretty awesome but his answer to all my questions is usually just “No rhyme or reason” so idk what to think at this point.

I’ve test driven the Audi etron. It’s fun. Only problem is taking it on road trips. Audi does offer that you can loan an ICE vehicle for road trips while they hold your etron. Haha.
Wife and usually rent a car for long road trips and when I’m not working from home because of COVID, my daily commute is like 15 miles total so the smaller range doesn’t really matter to me. I’m excited to have heated steering wheel, ventilated and massage seats, 360 view camera, heads up display, and all the other cool features Tesla shoulda put in the Y.

For anyone else thinking of canceling and re-ordering...

There is a loose rumor that if you ordered before the 7-day return policy went away that they will still honor the policy since it was in place at the time of order.

Just something to keep in mind, I'm sure this rumor will be proved or disproved at some point.

EDIT: Also, if someone has not contacted you from the local sales center (store, dealership, whatever you want to call it) you might want to reach out to them. I got a text about 10 minutes after placing my order from my sales associate (or whatever you want to call them). If your not happy about your order taking so long, reach out to this person and make sure nothing is hung up in the system. There was one sales associate that was frequenting the Model Y FaceBook group that unfortunately got let go but it seemed like orders would easily get tripped up or hung up in the system. He was going in and fixing whatever the issue was. Your local person should be able to look into this as well. For example, we rejected the car they offered us on 01 August, long story short not taking a brand new car that needs to be repainted, we went back into the queue. After a few weeks, still no VIN, deliveries still seemed to be going kinda bad. We discussed it and decided to wait until after the first of the year. So I called our sales associate and he was able to put our order on hold until 01/01/2021. We wont VIN match until after that date.

Reactions: alexcue
I agree... i was getting pissed that people got matched much sooner than me. Just started asking my TA, "hey, what's going on" take a look at this database so you don't think I'm BSing you. I see what you guys do across the country.

At 30 days time and 1 day after checking in, again, with him. Bingo I was matched. Now that was a busy match day for VIN's but I'm pretty sure he made sure I was on that batch. I wasn't aggressive with him, just let him know I was watching and getting upset at getting passed over.

Reactions: imola.zhp
For anyone else thinking of canceling and re-ordering...

There is a loose rumor that if you ordered before the 7-day return policy went away that they will still honor the policy since it was in place at the time of order.

Just something to keep in mind, I'm sure this rumor will be proved or disproved at some point.

EDIT: Also, if someone has not contacted you from the local sales center (store, dealership, whatever you want to call it) you might want to reach out to them. I got a text about 10 minutes after placing my order from my sales associate (or whatever you want to call them). If your not happy about your order taking so long, reach out to this person and make sure nothing is hung up in the system. There was one sales associate that was frequenting the Model Y FaceBook group that unfortunately got let go but it seemed like orders would easily get tripped up or hung up in the system. He was going in and fixing whatever the issue was. Your local person should be able to look into this as well. For example, we rejected the car they offered us on 01 August, long story short not taking a brand new car that needs to be repainted, we went back into the queue. After a few weeks, still no VIN, deliveries still seemed to be going kinda bad. We discussed it and decided to wait until after the first of the year. So I called our sales associate and he was able to put our order on hold until 01/01/2021. We wont VIN match until after that date.
I've been texting with my SA about it for couple weeks and he assures me my account is fine. He tells me every time that there is "no rhyme or reason" to the way VIN's get assigned and its basically pure luck. I called another service center today trying to get some different answers and he said my account is fine and he doesn't know anything either. Just seems like no one knows anything.

Reactions: imola.zhp
I've been texting with my SA about it for couple weeks and he assures me my account is fine. He tells me every time that there is "no rhyme or reason" to the way VIN's get assigned and its basically pure luck. I called another service center today trying to get some different answers and he said my account is fine and he doesn't know anything either. Just seems like no one knows anything.

Sorry to hear that, and I didn't intend to make you explain further, I just wanted to try to put some pointers out there. I'm glad you tried all options before canceling.

In one of the FaceBook groups there was a guy that was so frustrated he canceled his order. Then he placed the same order and got VIN matched almost instantly. I'm not certain he did not have something hung up with his first order and I'm not certain he tried reaching out, but canceling and re-ordering worked for him. He lost $100, but I believe he was leasing a different brand and the lease was coming up quick.

Sorry to hear that, and I didn't intend to make you explain further, I just wanted to try to put some pointers out there. I'm glad you tried all options before canceling.

In one of the FaceBook groups there was a guy that was so frustrated he canceled his order. Then he placed the same order and got VIN matched almost instantly. I'm not certain he did not have something hung up with his first order and I'm not certain he tried reaching out, but canceling and re-ordering worked for him. He lost $100, but I believe he was leasing a different brand and the lease was coming up quick.
I have honestly thought about doing that. Placing a new order and then see which one comes through first and cancel the other.

Yes, it sucks!!! have been waiting for 4 weeks and no VIN. Someone in my area got the same configuration for a few days.

Ordered Sept 30 from Ottawa, ON, Canada. I never heard from a SA so I used Tesla chat Tuesday night. The chat person was super helpful, they talked to someone internally and then got my SA to call me while as I was on the call. Two days later got my VIN. 646xx for delivery Nov 9

• Helpful
Reactions: dc_h
First road trip fail! We are expecting delivery of the new MY in a couple of weeks. My wife wants to drop off some boxes to a friend in Livingston, AL. We live near Auburn and a pretty direct route to Livington goes through Montgomery and Selma. It is 180 miles and expected to take 3 hours. So 6 hours round trip. I say that should not be a problem and went to my A Better Routeplanner app. So, Livingston is in the boonies in west Alabama and bereft of any fast charging stations. For the outgoing leg, the Planner took us through Birmingham and Tuscaloosa and a trip time of 3 h 53m. The return leg took us to Meridian MS (about 40 miles west of Livingston) requiring a 98% state of charge and a travel/charge time of 5 h 36 mins. This made the round trip approx 9.5 hrs. Wife says hurrumph and points at her Prius making her point! The dogs are disgusted at missing out on their new ride and looking at me sideways while I sit in a corner and contemplate electrons. Sigh....

Ordered 9/24 (Blue Black , FSD, 19 in)

9/30 - 2020 VIN assigned. Too early as I wanted it around Oct 22 so rejected VIN.
10/5 - 2020 VIN assigned. Rejected too early and its a 2020 VIN.
10/15 - 2020 VIN assigned. Rejected as its a 2020 VIN.
10/20 - 2021 VIN assigned (666xx). Made full payment. Not sure if its in factory or in Burbank CA for pickup on 10/22. LOL !!
Who were you dealing with when you were making these changes....Tesla Service Center or your SA? How was their response to so many 'rejections'?

First road trip fail! We are expecting delivery of the new MY in a couple of weeks. My wife wants to drop off some boxes to a friend in Livingston, AL. We live near Auburn and a pretty direct route to Livington goes through Montgomery and Selma. It is 180 miles and expected to take 3 hours. So 6 hours round trip. I say that should not be a problem and went to my A Better Routeplanner app. So, Livingston is in the boonies in west Alabama and bereft of any fast charging stations. For the outgoing leg, the Planner took us through Birmingham and Tuscaloosa and a trip time of 3 h 53m. The return leg took us to Meridian MS (about 40 miles west of Livingston) requiring a 98% state of charge and a travel/charge time of 5 h 36 mins. This made the round trip approx 9.5 hrs. Wife says hurrumph and points at her Prius making her point! The dogs are disgusted at missing out on their new ride and looking at me sideways while I sit in a corner and contemplate electrons. Sigh....

Sadly there are still a number of "charging deserts" in the southeast that are like this. It has gotten a lot better in the last couple of years, though.

Reactions: kylegbraund

Will you drop boxes off and leave or will you visit for several hours? If you visit for several hours, an extension cord and standard charging could add miles while you visit.

Last edited: