Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to follow up with this, I called and found out that I was being matched up with a vehicle that was "born" on March 8. I said I wasn't interested, and the salesperson was understanding of that and said he'd unmatch me from that vehicle. I suppose I'm now at the back of the line.

At least I didn't lose my $100 deposit, I guess.

Glad you got it worked out, but it’s a shame you are at the end of the line again. It’s negligent they keep trying to pawn off that piece of crap on customers.

Reactions: CO_MY
If I lived close to the center, I would probably would have gone to see it. But damn, March 8. Pre pandemic relic. lol
You're on the wrong side of Baltimore I'm afraid. It was coming from Alexandria, VA, I was told. Might still be loaded up on a truck headed here as we speak for all I know.

Hell, now that I've declined it, you can probably place an order for a blue/black PUP and I'm sure they'll bring it right to you so you can take a gander :p

Regarding that March 8 MY they tried to sell me, I went and had a look myself since I happened to be in the area. Wasn't horrible looking by my standards, but it wasn't great either. I couldn't really look at the passenger's side or the notorious hatch hinge area because I couldn't fit back there (too tight for a wheelchair user like me). Probably would have declined it even if it was new, but idk maybe not. I wouldn't have been thrilled, that's for sure.

Whole car looked all dusty and dirty, like something from Mad Max. Someone had washed it once before, but it was a basic rag-wash, which left swirl marks. Also there were some remnants of leftover wax, I think.

Rotors were quite rusty from sitting for so long. I guess the image of the spoiler doesn't really show it, but apparently the glue melted and smeared everywhere, creating sticky spots (look atop the spoiler). Also there was a scuff on the P/S fender/headlight area, resulting in lost paint (again, crappy photo doesn't show it well). Hood was kind of wonky: dipped low on the D/S but looked normal on the P/S. Doors were acceptable imo, except for that awful alignment at the rear of the D/S passenger's door.

Someone must have bought this car and then returned it. It had over 100 miles on it, and it had a Virginia state inspection sticker on it.

Other things of note: salesman tried to tell me there was no difference between the early March MYs and the current production ones, so I called him on his BS and explained the significant changes. He was like "oh, I didn't know you cared about those things." Pfft, nice try...

Also, unbeknownst to me, I was being designated as unable to receive a new vehicle until Sept. 10 because I wasn't approved to purchase a car (ordered Aug. 15). Weird because I had said on the website that I would be paying cash/bank check in-full on day of purchase. They never even contacted me about this to tell me there was an issue. The salesman I talked to said he fixed it though and approved me. Pick-up date was initially scheduled for Sept. 10. Seems weird.

Attachments

• IMG_20200905_112648.jpg
    IMG_20200905_112648.jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20200905_112746.jpg
    IMG_20200905_112746.jpg
    602 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20200905_112804.jpg
    IMG_20200905_112804.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20200905_112819.jpg
    IMG_20200905_112819.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20200905_112844.jpg
    IMG_20200905_112844.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20200905_112943.jpg
    IMG_20200905_112943.jpg
    802.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20200905_112949.jpg
    IMG_20200905_112949.jpg
    478.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20200905_113057.jpg
    IMG_20200905_113057.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 73
Excellent report! I think Tesla should disclose when the car is a prior return and the work that it had done, but then they would probably have to sell those as used, at a discount. Not surprised about the salesman's attitude. The majority of prospective buyers probably don't know or care. The same probably goes for the salespeople.

Hi everybody. I added this new tab: VIN range by VIN month.

Here is what it shows:
1 person who found out their VIN in September said it was in the 1,000 range
1 person who found out their VIN in September said it was in the 38,000 range
7 people who found out their VIN in September said it was in the 39,000 range

Like the 'VINs per day' chart, this one also updates dynamically each time somebody adds their data.

@Maryland, I hope that issue gets resolved and you have a great purchase experience.

It looks like this:
NS80ZJw.png

Just to follow up with this, I called and found out that I was being matched up with a vehicle that was "born" on March 8. I said I wasn't interested, and the salesperson was understanding of that and said he'd unmatch me from that vehicle. I suppose I'm now at the back of the line.

At least I didn't lose my $100 deposit, I guess.

bummer, but glad
Hi everybody. I added this new tab: VIN range by VIN month.

Here is what it shows:
1 person who found out their VIN in September said it was in the 1,000 range
1 person who found out their VIN in September said it was in the 38,000 range
7 people who found out their VIN in September said it was in the 39,000 range

Like the 'VINs per day' chart, this one also updates dynamically each time somebody adds their data.

@Maryland, I hope that issue gets resolved and you have a great purchase experience.

It looks like this:
NS80ZJw.png
crushing it Troy, thanks for the data.

I think Tesla should hire you, just saying.

Reactions: Troy
Regarding that March 8 MY they tried to sell me, I went and had a look myself since I happened to be in the area. Wasn't horrible looking by my standards, but it wasn't great either. I couldn't really look at the passenger's side or the notorious hatch hinge area because I couldn't fit back there (too tight for a wheelchair user like me). Probably would have declined it even if it was new, but idk maybe not. I wouldn't have been thrilled, that's for sure.
Great update, thanks! To clarify my earlier post, my assigned VIN actually did arrive early. The SA I spoke with who said another buyer's financing fell through and they were offering me that vehicle might have been right but I got multiple calls from other SA's telling me my previously assigned vehicle with the VIN I was expecting was officially on the lot.

I can't make it work to pick it up early but really excited to get my eyes on it Wednesday.

Hopefully it's a quick trip for the queue for you again Maryland.

Frustratingly, it looks like I was re-matched with the same car again.
  • Was notified on Thursday about setting up a delivery date. VIN assigned same day.
  • Found out on Friday that the VIN was March 8. Told them I wasn't interested. Sales rep. said he'd remove the VIN from my account.
  • On Saturday, the VIN seemed to be removed from my account, but the delivery date was still there. Since I was in the area, I went to the dealership to get things straightened out. Salesman said he'd take care of it. He confirmed the pickup date will be canceled.
  • Today (Sunday) the same VIN is assigned again, plus it now says "Please pay off your remaining balance prior to delivery."
I'll have to contact them whenever they're open.

I'll add, their phone lines must be setup terribly. First time I called, I was put on hold. No music or anything, so I had no idea the call was ended while I was on hold. Was holding the phone to my ear for no reason for about 6 minutes lol. Second call, I was put on hold, and then 12 minutes later I was matched with a fellow customer asking me how to attach the front license plate holder. Third call I managed not to be placed on hold, so things went successfully.

Sometimes all you can do is laugh.

• Funny
Reactions: LNL_HUTZ and dc_h
Frustratingly, it looks like I was re-matched with the same car again.
  • Was notified on Thursday about setting up a delivery date. VIN assigned same day.
  • Found out on Friday that the VIN was March 8. Told them I wasn't interested. Sales rep. said he'd remove the VIN from my account.
  • On Saturday, the VIN seemed to be removed from my account, but the delivery date was still there. Since I was in the area, I went to the dealership to get things straightened out. Salesman said he'd take care of it. He confirmed the pickup date will be canceled.
  • Today (Sunday) the same VIN is assigned again, plus it now says "Please pay off your remaining balance prior to delivery."
I'll have to contact them whenever they're open.

I'll add, their phone lines must be setup terribly. First time I called, I was put on hold. No music or anything, so I had no idea the call was ended while I was on hold. Was holding the phone to my ear for no reason for about 6 minutes lol. Second call, I was put on hold, and then 12 minutes later I was matched with a fellow customer asking me how to attach the front license plate holder. Third call I managed not to be placed on hold, so things went successfully.

Sometimes all you can do is laugh.

After rejecting a model y, I can tell you that every time I log in that the "accept delivery" button always presents itself. Called Tesla and they told me that although I'm back in the queue, that button will remain there until I get matched up again.... very annoying.

Did they remove the VIN though? I still see a VIN and a delivery date.
I had to call and have them remove the VIN. They were supposed to do that when I rejected, but they didn't? You shouldn't be able to see the VIN after you reject it once they unlink it. At least that's what they told me. However, you will still see the option to "accept delivery on [today's date]" always. Which is annoying.

• Helpful
As we await our expected Sept. 17 delivery date, we dropped into (no appointment) the Tesla Store at the Florida Mall in Orlando, just to get a few questions answered and to actually see what a Y looks like. It was really a wonderful experience. Our SA was there, and she took a bunch of time to walk us around the Y that they have on the showroom floor. My wife sat in the driver's seat as we both got a detailed step-by-step run through of the display panel and controls, and she hooked us up for a test drive in a car that she had waiting for us out in the parking lot. My wife and I had a glorious test drive alone -- without a sales person! We took the time to verify all of the pre-delivery details, and she found that our car was already built, and is riding a train out of California, headed to Birmingham, where it will be turned south for the ride to Orlando. It was born on August 28th at 1:15:05 am. She said that they may be delivering our car a couple of days early...if we're up for it. Ohh Yeah!

Here's a really odd note, and sign of the times: In the midst of this pandemic, the mall was packed close to capacity with (mostly masked or visored) shoppers. While we were in the Tesla Store, a very rowdy bunch of chanting Black Lives Matter protestors marched boisterously down the hall of the mall. Our SA locked the store's doors. Our SA said that previously, protesters has vandalized some cars out in their lot, but one of them had come to the store to warn the Tesla folks get their cars out of the lot before anything bad happened. Welcome to "The Twilight Zone!"

Also, while I was laying on the floor of the store, looking at the infamous nuts on the Y's lower ball joints, a senior SA (might have been the manager?) struck up an interesting and intelligent conversation about the incidents reported on this forum regarding missing nuts. He said that they were taking the reports very seriously, and I told him that I was too! The SA took photos of the beautiful delivery checklists that I got from this forum, and we discussed the option to refuse the delivered car if it was not acceptable to us. They did not try to cover up anything or mislead me about the QC issues that have been experienced.

We then drove to the Eatonville, FL Tesla Service Center (just north of Orlando) to scope the place out, and mentally prepare for Delivery Day. The Center was closed by the time we got there, but the visit was very insightful. I highly recommend this to all prospective buyers, because the more you know in advance, the more likely you will have a positive outcome. My wife and I strolled the entire parking lot -- examining the cars in various states of repair, as well as brand new cars that are awaiting new owners. We're ready for delivery!