Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree and disagree at that same time.

1. I am confident I looked at this car with a bigger microscope than any other car I’ve ever purchased because their reputation and my awareness of it trained me to do so. On my list of demands that Tesla correct, there are at least two “Panel alignment“ issues that I think are not acceptable, but are also displayed on our other car (Mazda), which we happily accepted off the lot and didn’t even consider to be an issue;
2. The least expense Tesla is still a premium dollar value car - they should get it right. They’ve been in the game long enough to correct fit and finish issues AND understand customer expectations.

To me, this is similar to their entire approach re: delivery. I complained to anyone that would listen to me this week when my VIN dropped that clearly they just want to hit sales targets, they give no information, the just don’t care. It’s obvious (and was) because tons of other people who ordered after me had my same exact configuration, but had a delivered car. By the luck of living in California, I wasn’t prioritized because Tesla doesn’t care about being fair to first come first serve on the order front. Top down, they believe the corporate goal is deliver more cars regardless of issues or fairness during the order process - or that is the proof that appears to be in the pudding.

All of that said - they know their product is better than the next guy’s - fit an finish and other issues aside. I doubt it will change until the other automakers have a competitively priced EV which is also comparatively awesome. Good luck with that immediately. I think they are just delivering from a position of relative arrogance, understanding that some panel gaps are minor to most people in comparison to how much better of a driving machine it is than anything else I’ve ever driven. That said - to force a customer to reject a delivery for major issues - not excusable.

Here ends my stream of conscious diatribe. Having only had the car for a few days, I’m not ready to give a full review yet. Initial impressions, I like the car itself a whole lot better than my prior BMW, and that includes some fit and finish issues.
I completely agree. Yes-quality issue microscopes are the effect of the prior lack of QC on Tesla's part. And I couldn't agree more with arrogance part. Product in super high demand gives them leverage and just like any other big corporation, they use it.The whole process is a killjoy for sure and is forgotten the minute people get the car. Or so I hope.

Hello all. Ordered on Sat 4/3 a MY SR Black ext/white int, 19", 5 seater. No VIN yet. Says May 29-Jun 10 expected delivery date range.
Orlando-Eatonville Tesla.

I test drove a MY with 20" tires since I kept reading about the "harsh" ride and so on. It was soft and wonderful (and I drove it in different modes, mostly Sport) but I am coming from a Mini Cooper S Countryman driven in sports mode with run-flats so talk about harsh (and noisy) ride, lol! After relieving myself of any worries about harshness (and those were 20" tires!) I was immediately in love. I hope that late May/June delivery will mean even less build qualities (knock on wood) and perhaps maybe some new stuff but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Hello all. Ordered on Sat 4/3 a MY SR Black ext/white int, 19", 5 seater. No VIN yet. Says May 29-Jun 10 expected delivery date range.

I test drove a MY with 20" tires since I kept reading about the "harsh" ride and so on. It was soft and wonderful (and I drove it in different modes, mostly Sport) but I am coming from a Mini Cooper S Countryman driven in sports mode with run-flats so talk about harsh (and noisy) ride, lol! After relieving myself of any worries about harshness (and those were 20" tires!) I was immediately in love. I hope that late May/June delivery will mean even less build qualities (knock on wood) and perhaps maybe some new stuff but I'm not holding my breath on that.
Oops, LR, not SR. I was a bit excited typing.

I took delivery on the 1st. I did a careful walk around the car and saw no material defects or anything requiring any additional work. I did not have any device to measure panel gaps, but it seemed as good or better than any car I've ever taken delivery of. Volvo and BMW are the other high end brands. On the other hand, the joy of driving the Y is off the charts. I'm sorry to hear other peoples sales reps were not easy, mine were awesome. It was touchless, but they were in touch all the way and treated my like a hero. I've sent a couple neighbors their way recently as well and they have had great experiences as well.
Good luck to everyone still waiting. I expect Tesla to keep raising the bar on production quality and delivery experience. I expect our new delivery center made a big difference for me. Our new delivery center is a mile from my house and 2-3 times the size of the site 10 miles down the road.

I took delivery on the 1st. I did a careful walk around the car and saw no material defects or anything requiring any additional work. I did not have any device to measure panel gaps, but it seemed as good or better than any car I've ever taken delivery of. Volvo and BMW are the other high end brands. On the other hand, the joy of driving the Y is off the charts. I'm sorry to hear other peoples sales reps were not easy, mine were awesome. It was touchless, but they were in touch all the way and treated my like a hero. I've sent a couple neighbors their way recently as well and they have had great experiences as well.
Good luck to everyone still waiting. I expect Tesla to keep raising the bar on production quality and delivery experience. I expect our new delivery center made a big difference for me. Our new delivery center is a mile from my house and 2-3 times the size of the site 10 miles down the road.

Thanks for sharing your experience and congratulations on your new ride.

Oops, LR, not SR. I was a bit excited typing.
Update: delivery dates changed today. Now it says expected delivery: April 27 - May 17

• Informative
Reactions: dc_h