Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered MYLR Wht/ Blk, Tow on 7-14 with EDD of 10-18 to 10 -29. I received my VIN (2021) early this morning. My concern is taking delivery of 2021 when 2022 model year VIN's may begin as early as next week? SA's don't really know (or won't say) when the model year will actual switch over but history indicates it will happen by end of month October. Is there a way to delay (get another VIN) without getting pushed back to the end of the line?

Ordered MYLR Wht/ Blk, Tow on 7-14 with EDD of 10-18 to 10 -29. I received my VIN (2021) early this morning. My concern is taking delivery of 2021 when 2022 model year VIN's may begin as early as next week? SA's don't really know (or won't say) when the model year will actual switch over but history indicates it will happen by end of month October. Is there a way to delay (get another VIN) without getting pushed back to the end of the line?
Considering that we are past the middle of October and Tesla has yet to file a 2022 VIN entry with the NTSA, I would not count on any cars being produced in 2021 as being 2022 models. Could it happen, sure, but it's not looking like the switch over will happen in the immediate future. If I were a gambler, I would think that the switch over will not happen until Jan 1st or at least until Austin is producing cars which again l, is unlikely to happen until Q1 2022. (Berlin is at least 2 months ahead of Austin and Berlin is not going to be producing any cars until Nov or Dec at the earliest.)

Could you pass on this VIN and wait for another or put your order in hold? Yes if you must have a 2022 MY. But count on being pushed into calendar year 2022 for delivery. That's not a guarantee but a good possibility.

Reactions: SpaceShipDrvr

See below…

Considering that we are past the middle of October and Tesla has yet to file a 2022 VIN entry with the NTSA, I would not count on any cars being produced in 2021 as being 2022 models. Could it happen, sure, but it's not looking like the switch over will happen in the immediate future. If I were a gambler, I would think that the switch over will not happen until Jan 1st or at least until Austin is producing cars which again l, is unlikely to happen until Q1 2022. (Berlin is at least 2 months ahead of Austin and Berlin is not going to be producing any cars until Nov or Dec at the earliest.)

Could you pass on this VIN and wait for another or put your order in hold? Yes if you must have a 2022 MY. But count on being pushed into calendar year 2022 for delivery. That's not a guarantee but a good possibility.

Prior to Model Year 2021, with few exceptions, anything built with in the year was that year model.
Model Year 2021’s, however, started on or about October 1 2020, and we’re being delivered to customers late October 2020.
Model Year 2022 is anybody’s guess, but some consistency would be nice moving forward. That’s a lot to ask from Tesla though and in the grand scheme of things might not really matter when resale time comes. If you go to the back of the line it could be months on end before you get your 2022.

See below…

Prior to Model Year 2021, with few exceptions, anything built with in the year was that year model.
Model Year 2021’s, however, started on or about October 1 2020, and we’re being delivered to customers late October 2020.
Model Year 2022 is anybody’s guess, but some consistency would be nice moving forward. That’s a lot to ask from Tesla though and in the grand scheme of things might not really matter when resale time comes. If you go to the back of the line it could be months on end before you get your 2022.
WIth the 3, I thought 2020 models started on Nov 2019 the year before too?

Well the morning started out great with an email asking me to select my delivery time this Friday or Saturday. Since I work nearby my local Tesla store, I decided to wonder around the packed parking lot, while large numbers of new Model Y's were arriving. As I was looking for my VIN in the large maze of other White colored new Model Y's, my heart sank when I came across one that had sustained damage to the front left lower bumper and then soon realized that vehicle had my assigned VIN. Someone or something had hit the left side front bottom bumper / air dam pretty hard during transit and it damaged / scraped the paint in many places and possibly cracked the bumper below the right fog light (there was a Tesla generated damage report document placed on the front dash indicating the vehicle has sustained damage in logistics). I do not want to accept a new vehicle that already has to go to body shop to get repainted that will definitely not be same as factory, along with delay in getting the vehicle. I walked into the store to talk with a SA. The very smug SA's response was "the VIN has been assigned to you and we can't give you another VIN. If you don't accept, we cancel the order and you'll need to reorder". Needless to say, I was not happy after waiting 4 months and they assigned me a VIN to a Tesla documented damaged vehicle and then say I have to accepted it (after repairs) or my order will be canceled. Tonight, I sent a formal compliant to Tesla, with pictures, in hopes they will do the right thing and issue me another VIN and new delivery within a reasonable time. The SA's attitude was beyond horrible! I sure hope this "take it or leave it attitude" is not reflective of how Tesla is beginning to treat it's customers? I'm still hopeful Tesla will do the right thing and offer me another similar configured Model Y within a reasonable time frame or I will not be joining the Tesla family after years of saving and waiting.

Well the morning started out great with an email asking me to select my delivery time this Friday or Saturday. Since I work nearby my local Tesla store, I decided to wonder around the packed parking lot, while large numbers of new Model Y's were arriving. As I was looking for my VIN in the large maze of other White colored new Model Y's, my heart sank when I came across one that had sustained damage to the front left lower bumper and then soon realized that vehicle had my assigned VIN. Someone or something had hit the left side front bottom bumper / air dam pretty hard during transit and it damaged / scraped the paint in many places and possibly cracked the bumper below the right fog light (there was a Tesla generated damage report document placed on the front dash indicating the vehicle has sustained damage in logistics). I do not want to accept a new vehicle that already has to go to body shop to get repainted that will definitely not be same as factory, along with delay in getting the vehicle. I walked into the store to talk with a SA. The very smug SA's response was "the VIN has been assigned to you and we can't give you another VIN. If you don't accept, we cancel the order and you'll need to reorder". Needless to say, I was not happy after waiting 4 months and they assigned me a VIN to a Tesla documented damaged vehicle and then say I have to accepted it (after repairs) or my order will be canceled. Tonight, I sent a formal compliant to Tesla, with pictures, in hopes they will do the right thing and issue me another VIN and new delivery within a reasonable time. The SA's attitude was beyond horrible! I sure hope this "take it or leave it attitude" is not reflective of how Tesla is beginning to treat it's customers? I'm still hopeful Tesla will do the right thing and offer me another similar configured Model Y within a reasonable time frame or I will not be joining the Tesla family after years of saving and waiting.
If they don't assign you a new VIN. Just call up tesla, or chat with them online saying you would like to put your order on hold for a month. Once that happens, you will be unpaired from that vin and your tesla online account will show your order is on hold. You'll see a button that says you're ready to release the hold.

Wait a day or so, then click the button that says you're ready to release the hold, and wait for a new VIN. Just keep track of the old vin and make sure your new vin is indeed new.

Man, there are many of us absolutely dying to receive a VIN and here we have someone willingly tossing it back. FML

I sure hope this "take it or leave it attitude" is not reflective of how Tesla is beginning to treat it's customers? I'm still hopeful Tesla will do the right thing and offer me another similar configured Model Y within a reasonable time frame or I will not be joining the Tesla family after years of saving and waiting.
Dude, Tesla has been annoyed that it actually has to deliver cars to customers for YEARS now!

Got my VIN today! It's a 2021. Order placed on 8/26 for a MYLR, 5-seat, midnight silver metallic, white interior, 20" Induction, and tow hitch. Delivery window down to 11/8 -14th!

Honestly, if I showed up and found significant damage, I'd request a new VIN too. My SA stated that placing the order on hold will get a new VIN and must be done in two months. No increase in price or anything like that. We're going ahead as I'm tired of waiting for a 2022 and just need the car delivered. Crossing my fingers that it's good on delivery.

Reactions: alexgr
Someone's going to enjoy my car, I passed up on it so I can get the tax credit next year.
How did you do that? I refused my delivery last week because the model Y was damaged in transit. I was told I may have to wait a month or more for new VIN and two days later a new VIN. I have a feeling a number of customers are delaying or even canceling orders due to possibility or $7500 or up t $12000 tax credit by simply waiting 62 days. I'm on the fence and not what to do? It could be a really bad quarter for Tesla given the HUGE credit for EV purchases that passed in congress. Incentives don't apply on any purchase made before Jan 1, 2022.

How did you do that? I refused my delivery last week because the model Y was damaged in transit. I was told I may have to wait a month or more for new VIN and two days later a new VIN. I have a feeling a number of customers are delaying or even canceling orders due to possibility or $7500 or up t $12000 tax credit by simply waiting 62 days. I'm on the fence and not what to do? It could be a really bad quarter for Tesla given the HUGE credit for EV purchases that passed in congress. Incentives don't apply on any purchase made before Jan 1, 2022.
Just ordered MYLR with estimated delivery in June next year, with hope for the tax credit, and with the goal to replace it with CT in 2023 (?) getting one more tax credit. Also, I believe that if the tax credit law is passed the prices will creep up again. Anyway, I hope that June 2022 is not in December 2021 on Elon's calendar. I also hope that Congress will give us a big fat credit for years to come. 😇

I ordered a Red, Performance, White Interior, Tow Hitch on 10/29/2021 and received a VIN in 5 hours. I had to call and delay as we have a lease and do not want the car until January. I also think I might qualify for a Tex Credit that is large enough to not want to lose, assuming Congress votes on it.

Reactions: Tabor
I ordered a Red, Performance, White Interior, Tow Hitch on 10/29/2021 and received a VIN in 5 hours. I had to call and delay as we have a lease and do not want the car until January. I also think I might qualify for a Tex Credit that is large enough to not want to lose, assuming Congress votes on it.
OMG, there is no demand. :oops: #TSLAQ

Seriously, I ordered MY this weekend because
(1) no CT in sight
(2) MY LR declared delivery time moved to June-Septemeber
(3) Congress is hopefully about to give us a HUGE incentive to buy EVs
(4) By June, I thought, MY will use both front and rear casts.
(5) By June, I thought, MY will come with 4680 and the range will improve.

Now, impoverished by $250, I get the delivery window of March 10-April 7. This is 2-3 months ahead of June...
If #3 is not happening - I lost $250 (but I knew it)
If #4&#5 are not happening - I will try to delay delivery, or change configuration if it becomes available as a different configuration.

Incentives don't apply on any purchase made before Jan 1, 2022.
It’s my understanding that incentives are valid if delivery is taken after Dec 31, 2021 — I think the exact language was “acquired” after this date. I hope that’s the case as I ordered mine in October but delivery is expected in March. I would appreciate clarification on this point if anyone knows for sure.