Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslive charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kipernicus

Model S Res#P1440
Dec 2, 2009
Belmont, CA
Curious, why would we need shuttle service to the factory when:
1) There will be a bunch of Model S's available
2) Those staying overnight will need their cars charged up, and there doesn't seem to be anything at the Crowne Plaza according to the apps. Where but the Factory could accommodate so many Teslas?

Not everyone will be driving. One of the TESLIVE committee members is working out charging options with the hotel.
For those of us travelling across multiple states, this is a big "todo" on the planning list.

So much so that I may have to take my other vehicle if I don't plan enough in advance.

As an example, if/when some of us arrive with low two-digit remaining range it would be nice to have a way to reserve a charge spot -- even at 110V/12A.

For those of us travelling across multiple states, this is a big "todo" on the planning list.

So much so that I may have to take my other vehicle if I don't plan enough in advance.

As an example, if/when some of us arrive with low two-digit remaining range it would be nice to have a way to reserve a charge spot -- even at 110V/12A.

So setting aside that we know that someone on TESLIVE is working out charging options (meaning, more info to come) ... good god, man! Bring up all the charging options on Recargo or PlugShare or whatever for the area! You'll get charged. I'm driving in and will probably stop right before I get there and top off so that charging isn't an issue. Make it work!

So setting aside that we know that someone on TESLIVE is working out charging options (meaning, more info to come) ... good god, man! Bring up all the charging options on Recargo or PlugShare or whatever for the area! You'll get charged. I'm driving in and will probably stop right before I get there and top off so that charging isn't an issue. Make it work!

From Tesla store @ Bellevue...

Google: 834 mi., 12 hr 53 min
Bing: 835 mi., 12 hr 9 min

Napkin calculations...

Assuming the incredibly-unlikely-for-highway rated mileage (265), that's around 3 full charges.

Say you go with 40A charger (WTB Chademo!) -- which is better than the 30A I usually see -- that's ~9.5 hours for each charge, so an additional 28.5 hours for charging.

So let's say 40 hours. So that's basically 2 days to get there and 2 days to get back. In my other vehicle, the vacation days don't add up so quickly. Vacation days aren't something I toss casually. Just sayin'.

From Tesla store @ Bellevue...

Google: 834 mi., 12 hr 53 min
Bing: 835 mi., 12 hr 9 min

Napkin calculations...

Assuming the incredibly-unlikely-for-highway rated mileage (265), that's around 3 full charges.

Say you go with 40A charger (WTB Chademo!) -- which is better than the 30A I usually see -- that's ~9.5 hours for each charge, so an additional 28.5 hours for charging.

So let's say 40 hours. So that's basically 2 days to get there and 2 days to get back. In my other vehicle, the vacation days don't add up so quickly. Vacation days aren't something I toss casually. Just sayin'.

At least one charge will be while you sleep, so remove that from the equation. And if you attend the conference, your car could be anywhere nearby charging. But if you feel it won't work for you, then you definitely shouldn't do it.

If you rollback to post 3, my request was simply to tell us early rather than late about any charging opportunities that are being established specifically for the event. From there it's just elaboration on why it matters. Cheers.

If you rollback to post 3, my request was simply to tell us early rather than late about any charging opportunities that are being established specifically for the event. From there it's just elaboration on why it matters. Cheers.

Sorry! I am overwhelmed with messages, etc. (No surprise there.) So the TESLIVE committee member arranging charging said that communication about additional charging opportunities would be announced no later than 6/12. Also note that on the registration page, you are asked how many miles of charge you anticipate needing. The purpose of that is to assist in organizing necessary charging for the non-locals.

There's also a few sites on Recargo nearby that might be unoccupied on the weekend. If you're ok with leaving your car there overnight, I or someone else that's local can help shuttle people to/from the hotel. Also, Blinkmap shows a bunch at various Cisco buildings, but I don't know if you need a badge to get in.

http://www.recargo.com/sites/7020
http://www.recargo.com/sites/2971
http://www.recargo.com/sites/7255
http://www.recargo.com/sites/5318
(note I have not personally scouted these out)

The last few times I've been through San Jose I've used the Gilroy Supercharger and the Santana Row Roadster charger. If going to SJ in the morning then returning in evening, I'd prolly just get coffee in Davis on the way there and back. Only need an extra 40 miles or so for me.

In addition, when desperate, I've used a 30A charger along 680.

Still considering whether to go or not, but I'm not worried about charging at this point. It really is just a matter of picking your rest stops.

Pic from north side of admin building

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373229782373.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373229782373.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 128