Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslive Sunday drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see from the volunteer thread that the details of the drive still need to be worked out.
Was wondering if it would be fun to do what the Westport, CT EV group did with a scavenger-hunt clue rally?

Can aaron.s or anyone else who was there provide more details about how it worked?

Maybe easier to just publish a route so cars won't get lost?

Hi Kipernicus, All -

I will be attending Teslive!

My return flight doesn't leave until 11pm Sunday night, so I'd *love* to ride shotgun with someone who plans on taking the Sunday drive!

The Westport EV Road Rally was about 38 miles and instead of the usual turn by turn directions, they used clues that the navigator (you need one!) and driver had to figure out. These clues may have been visual ones (noticing a particular road sign or number that ended up being a house number on a mailbox) or Jeopardy like questions that resulted in an answer that ended up being a street name to turn on.....

It was a lot of fun -- and if someone is willing to put in the effort of figuring out a course and then coming up with the clue questions, I think it would be a very enjoyable outing for everyone!

Aaron

Like TEG, I was thinking of Skyline blvd and and the nice twisty roads there.

Option 1: End at PA hq, where there are potentially more chargers but no food options. Maybe we (a) get a food truck to show up, or (b) shuttle ourselves somewhere like the Rosewood Sand Hill.
route1.JPG

Option 2: End at Menlo Park, with less charging but we can walk to restaurants
route2.JPG

I am, however, concerned that Skyline blvd, Page Mill, Sand Hill etc are rather narrow and curvy, and MS is wide, and there are lots of bicyclists on the weekend and we don't want to be a hazard.

If charging at destination is not really an issue (Gilroy is only 50 miles away for those going south. Those going north don't have it as easy, but San Rafael service center has an HPWC and is also 50 miles away) then we can end wherever.

Since we have done many drives with many cars in our TESLA LA Club group, it would probably be very hard to try to keep the group together with a scavenger hunt type drive. One of our members works for a production company and she has been gracious enough to bring about 25 walkie-talkies to our drives so all of the drivers can stay in radio contact. I'm pretty sure she is attending Teslive and she might be willing to bring them for the event too.

... 25 walkie-talkies to our drives so all of the drivers can stay in radio contact. I'm pretty sure she is attending Teslive and she might be willing to bring them for the event too.

I think she has been "borrowing from work" or at least from a supplier that she rents from., so a long weekend might be harder. Of course I should not speak for her.

I am, however, concerned that Skyline blvd, Page Mill, Sand Hill etc are rather narrow and curvy, and MS is wide, and there are lots of bicyclists on the weekend and we don't want to be a hazard.

Ah, Page Mill. When the dealer let me test drive a Roadster in 2011, my son and I chased a brand new, red Corvette up Page Mill. When we got back to the dealer, I bought the Roadster, and my son put down a deposit on a Model S. Hmmm.... we wondered if the Corvette was owned by Tesla, 'Hey, we got two more, Elon!'

I've driven that on weekends a few times. It's not a concern as long as you go up on Page Mill. That way you don't get stuck behind bicyclists going downhill full speed. Skyline is nice, a good stretch is fairly straight, coming down towards Woodside is more of a winding road but not a problem with bicycles.

Another thought: where Skyline crosses La Honda Road, take a left onto 84 all the way to Highway 1. You'll end up on Highway 1 at San Gregorio state beach. Then take Highway 1 north to Half Moon Bay and then 92 east will get you back onto Skyline. Adds 43 miles and probably 90 minutes to the drive, but it's a very nice route to take.

image.jpg

Picture of San Gregorio beach on a very windy day from inside my car.

image.jpg

Hi Kipernicus, All -

I will be attending Teslive!

My return flight doesn't leave until 11pm Sunday night, so I'd *love* to ride shotgun with someone who plans on taking the Sunday drive!

The Westport EV Road Rally was about 38 miles and instead of the usual turn by turn directions, they used clues that the navigator (you need one!) and driver had to figure out. These clues may have been visual ones (noticing a particular road sign or number that ended up being a house number on a mailbox) or Jeopardy like questions that resulted in an answer that ended up being a street name to turn on.....

It was a lot of fun -- and if someone is willing to put in the effort of figuring out a course and then coming up with the clue questions, I think it would be a very enjoyable outing for everyone!

Aaron

Hi Aaron--I plan to participate in this drive assuming I can do it and still have about 150 miles of charge left to get home later that day. I'd love to have you ride shotgun with me. My S is a silver Sig Performance (VIN 461) and I love it!

Hi Aaron--I plan to participate in this drive assuming I can do it and still have about 150 miles of charge left to get home later that day. I'd love to have you ride shotgun with me. My S is a silver Sig Performance (VIN 461) and I love it!

weccman

Count me in -- and thanks!!!!!

Will you be attending Teslive?

Aaron