Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Teslogic — Mobile Instrument Cluster for Tesla Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much does it block the air vents? I live in a really hot climate and the last thing I want is impeded airflow from the AC system. It is going to be 107F here this week.

You could probably do a test of sorts, on the install video here:

It shows how the mount/phone sit, you could probably rig something temporary to get a sense of how the air is affected by a phone. Heck, you could almost hold it about where it mounts and fiddle with the vent position, see if you're still getting pretty direct airflow.

I bet it's not too bad given where I feel the air exiting the vents and the size of a typical phone.

How much does it block the air vents? I live in a really hot climate and the last thing I want is impeded airflow from the AC system. It is going to be 107F here this week.

Since it's just your phone - I would say likely not much. You can test by holding your phone on top of the steering wheel, but this can also be mounted honestly wherever you like since it's Bluetooth.

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
Did some testing with placement of my smartphone, several small tablets (7", 10"). It appears that the most practical device to use is a "standard" size smart phone, tablets too large for practical viewing through the steering wheel. The numbers in the demo are good enough for this size screen, at proper placement distance. Additionally, the device needs to be, at least 1/2" off of the dash to allow some airflow from the front vents, making the smartphone the best option - for my liking.

I would prefer to use one of my old phones as a permanent device, as repetitive positioning may be a task, but am hesitant due to potential for phone battery overheating issues from prolonged exposure in the direct sunlight. Have experienced battery swelling from overheating on the charge pad in hot weather in the past. A similar size powered monitor with Bluetooth would be nice, but have yet to find one.

Vendor stated that the transmitters are currently available, but wont ship until end of July...

I would prefer to use one of my old phones as a permanent device, as repetitive positioning may be a task, but am hesitant due to potential for phone battery overheating issues from prolonged exposure in the direct sunlight. Have experienced battery swelling from overheating on the charge pad in hot weather in the past. A similar size powered monitor with Bluetooth would be nice, but have yet to find one.
Either a small towel over the phone or a windshield sunscreen, combined with cabin overheat protection might be sufficient to protect the battery. Or use a normal phone mount and put the phone away when facing the hottest situations.

Did some testing with placement of my smartphone, several small tablets (7", 10"). It appears that the most practical device to use is a "standard" size smart phone, tablets too large for practical viewing through the steering wheel. The numbers in the demo are good enough for this size screen, at proper placement distance. Additionally, the device needs to be, at least 1/2" off of the dash to allow some airflow from the front vents, making the smartphone the best option - for my liking.

Vendor stated that the transmitters are currently available, but wont ship until end of July...
We will ship now, but it will reach you around the end of July. Sorry if I've confused you.

I'm interested in wireless charging or magsafe. Otherwise, is the cable just routed?

Any experience with how much battery the phone/Tesla would use?
Now we do not have a charger in the kit, but we’re working on our own mount with wireless charging. And these are also good recommendations on chargers:
I don't think they address charging the phone, the data connection is via bluetooth, so there's no need for a physical connection. Their mount is just a magnetic, physical mount. You could run a lighting cable over from the center console, or whatever, and there's a few aftermarket mounts that use MagSafe:

But I hear you about a single vendor solution.

Reactions: TomT

Yes, that's right:

You could probably do a test of sorts, on the install video here:

It shows how the mount/phone sit, you could probably rig something temporary to get a sense of how the air is affected by a phone. Heck, you could almost hold it about where it mounts and fiddle with the vent position, see if you're still getting pretty direct airflow.

I bet it's not too bad given where I feel the air exiting the vents and the size of a typical phone.

Due to the location and size of the phone, it should not really block it.

Think that I'm sold here...admittedly from the UK.
Will look for a Brodit charge mount and see if would fix beh

Pulled the trigger on one of these. Wife loves it and the demo app looks pristine. The UI is just like Tesla’s and is beautiful. The other third party displays I’ve seen have just had UGLY UI—no thanks.
Yep.
Ordered one too.
Not 100% convinced on the holder but that can soon be swapped out.

Reactions: TomT
Yep.
Ordered one too.
Not 100% convinced on the holder but that can soon be swapped out.
I’ll likely pick up the TAPTES one, just checking if there’s an alternative. Found some much cheaper on AliExpress that I will look into further.

Here’s one:
US $16.20 30% Off | Magnetic Wireless Car Charger Mount Adsorbable Smartphone Holder For Tesla Model 3 X S Y Cradle For xiaomi Drop-Shipping

Last edited: