Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslogic vs. S3XY Buttons dash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got really really annoyed with the delays in pairing from Teslogic (takes ~2min usually before it starts working), so I decided to compare against the S3XY buttons dash functionality.

* I prefer the Teslogic dash data layout, once it's connected
* S3XY Button's dash connects instantly, and has the right range numbers.

Re: I prefer the Teslogic dash. Screenshots all come from the vendor pages:
1673458483865.png

The blue circle there is actually an analog speedometer... I've seen claims it's an efficiency gauge, but it moves proportional to speed not energy consumption, so I only buy that from the perspective that "energy efficiency" is just another way of saying "speed". :) Also notice the speed limit sign. Compare to the S3XY Dash display (screenshot of their webpage, because the image of the dash they're using has a transparent background, and so doesn't paste right). As I've posted in the Teslogic dedicated thread, the range numbers provided are all AFU. The one in the upper right (shown as a percent here instead) does NOT match the range the car shows... S3XY gets this right. Notice the highway range is longer than the city range: that's not true for EVs in general, and not true for my car in specific. Teslogic: Swap those?

1673457571422.png

I didn't quite resize it to scale, but got kinda close. You can notice that the speedometer readout is smaller: yep. All the text is smaller, and there's no "old man" mode. Yep, it's all hard to read at a glance at normal dash distances. But IMHO the biggest sin is the blue arc: that's not a speedometer, that's the gas-pedal position. So it's constantly moving and being bright, attracts attention. Gas Pedal position is just not that important, thanks.

The S3XY dash shows you the standard range number, and doesn't invent other range numbers to compare against. You can turn on stats-for-nerds to get battery temp on the main page (Teslogic puts it on an alternate "racing" dash), but only as text. Product suggestion: put battery temp as an optional guage on the right, where there's plenty of space? Consider that for more of the "Stats for nerds" as an alternate to text?

Not shown: both turn add in a green gradiant on the relevant side when your turn signals are on, which is quite nice. Teslogic changes that to red if the car thinks there might be something in your blindspot, I've not used S3XY-dash long enough to know if it has the same behavior.

Other notes: Teslogic costs $200, comes with a mount to glue to your dash (better looking/integrated now then when I got mine), and you can add a charger for $40. It's IMHO harder to install, but not hard to install...

Just the S3XY Buttons commander&OBD Adapter is $150, but you'll need to figure out your mounting solution on your own. For the same $200, you can get the commander, adapter, and two buttons, which are also useful.

@dimitar.ns : Can I interest you in
* Enlarging the speed number, and making the font a slimer/less chunky one.
* eliminating the accelerator position indicator, and putting analog speedometer in that area

And also maybe add some of the nerd info as gauges on the left instead of text on the right? Specifically I care about battery temp, for use when trying to navigate to a charger to make sure the battery temp's gotten up.

Hi, @kilpatds thanks for your comments, suggestions, and comparison.
Have in mind that we didn't spend much time on our Dashboard so far and it's still in Beta to show what it's capable of. We will start improving it later this year and implement most of your suggestions as they are already on our roadmap. Everything like enlarging the text, new gauges, new styles/screens, and more customizations will be implemented. We keep all the feedback from our customers and try to implement as much as possible with the new updates as you can see from our release notes history.
Thanks for the suggestions. Stay tuned for new versions!

Hi, @kilpatds thanks for your comments, suggestions, and comparison.
Have in mind that we didn't spend much time on our Dashboard so far and it's still in Beta to show what it's capable of. We will start improving it later this year and implement most of your suggestions as they are already on our roadmap. Everything like enlarging the text, new gauges, new styles/screens, and more customizations will be implemented. We keep all the feedback from our customers and try to implement as much as possible with the new updates as you can see from our release notes history.
Thanks for the suggestions. Stay tuned for new versions!
I noticed that Teslogic shows the turn signal in red if there is a car in the blindspot. Could the S3XY app do the same thing? Is it on the roadmap? I would love to see that Included.

Agree with above ppl, I have been looking for a display for blind spot monitoring. @dimitar.ns It will be even better if you can do this like Candash. Constant blind spot monitoring, not just when turn signals are on. Only problem wich candash is no real support and company behind it, more opensource help yourself type.

also will be nice if the speed display change color when over the speed limit. from yellow->orange->red based on how much over the speed limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually participated on a french forum in a design proposal for the s3xy button dash, can't wait to see the final result :)

I offerer those kind of design, hoping final design will be better than mine of course but hoping to be able to have this kind of design similar to the tesla UI from the main screen as a base idea

I would love if the S3XY button Commander/Dash looked similar to the above (Fender's example). I'm a big fan of the S3XY buttons in my car, but the dash layout is bigger on "style" than function in my opinion. It looks cool, but the simpler, OE style would definitely be my preference, and one of the things I liked about the Teslogic when deciding which way to go.

If they can update the dash to that style, and get the feedback into the OE systems for button presses (show heated seats status, show chill/sport, etc.) the product would be nearly perfect (for me). Even as-is it's pretty great. :)

I really (really) like "analog" gauges for things like a speedometer. When you want thing-A to be close to Thing-B, analog gauges are best. So ... I want an analog speedometer, with a tick mark for the current speed limit... look up the speed limit online if you can't get it from the CAN bus. :)

I've really grown to like the S3XY Dash's showing of the two motors separately. It's not important, but it's nifty to see that sometimes it only uses the rear for regen, sometimes both, sometimes only the front, etc. You can also sometimes see it regenning from the front while powering from the rear, usually in "actually, I'd like to heat up the battery" situations, but still. I'd never have seen that on a unified discharge/charge gauge.

That said, I really want to see battery temps (also as an "analog" gauge, with tick marks for best-charging, too-hot, and too-cold (limited regen)