TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesloop Experience...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jevan43, Feb 4, 2017.

1. jevan43

jevan43 Member

X-Posted from Yelp. I genuinely hope that nobody else experiences anything similar...

Well I guess I ended up being the anomaly; at least I sure hope so.

My father and I needed to head from Irvine to Las Vegas to pick up a vehicle. As a Tesla owner, I was familiar with Tesloop and was excited that I might finally have a suitable opportunity to use their service.

So about 3 weeks out I went online to book the trip, yikes--the dates were not yet available online so I emailed them and asked them when their schedule for January would be available. I received a prompt reply that they'd be available within "the next couple of days."

Seeing as though there are only 3 seats available per day from Irvine to Las Vegas (at the time, this could have since changed) I was eager to book the reservation but without a definitive date it forced me to have to continually check he website to see if the date had been made live and bookable--this ended up being more than "a couple of days" and in general not the best of customer experiences.

Fast forward to our travel day....today.
    Scheduled for pick up at 8:30am at the McDonalds located at Main and McArthur by JWA.

7:25am: Phone call from Tesloop: "We're super sorry but the driver is running late and won't be there until closer to 9."

8:00am: Text from Tesloop: "I'll have an exact ETA momentarily for you. Thank you for your understanding!"

I don't live at McDonalds so naturally I had to find transportation to the pick up location. Was on my way there in an Uber...

8:35am: Phone call from Tesloop: "Hey we're so sorry we have refunded you, our driver won't be there until closer to 9:30am."

So here I am sitting at a McDonalds. The cascading effect this will have on my day is absolutely terrible. I've had to reschedule with the parties I am doing business with in Las Vegas at considerable inconvenience.

Oh wait, here we go:

9:09am: Text from Tesloop: "Hello Justin, I am very sorry about the delay this morning. Your pilot, Alison, is heading to you now and should arrive to the McDonald's just before 10am this morning."

So now it's going to be basically 10?!! I'm going to end up being kicked out of this McDonalds, because they have anti-loitering signs posted everywhere.

UPDATE: This all took place on 1/25/17 it is now 2/4/17..I wanted to wait until things shook out before passing final judgement on my experience. The refund they promised me? Never came. I ended up being late to my appointment in Las Vegas then made me late to get back and screwed my day as a domino effect as I am sure you could imagine.

I connected with Rahul the CEO on LinkedIn and while I won't share his exact words here, out of privacy, he profusely apologized, acknowledged that to use his words "they blew it."

Yes, yes they did. Hopefully I receive the refund they promised me soon.

Oh, our driver, Allison--TERRIFIC. 5 stars for her.

2. cpa

cpa Active Member

Maybe Allison had to wait an hour for an open stall at Fountain Valley, and then the charge rate never exceeded 58kWh. That could easily chew up two hours of time.

(Not trying to pile on here. But it seems congestion and slow rates are becoming more the norm. :( )

3. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

Tesloop should know this and divert to the nearby Santa Ana Supercharger which is probably equidistant from the Irvine McDonalds.

Maybe Tesloop should have offered a Happy Meal. LOL

4. jevan43

jevan43 Member

I was told that the issue had to do with scheduling the driver. What makes little sense to me though was the continuous inaccurate updates as to her ETA.

If they are having this much trouble at this size I can't possibly see how they are going to be able to scale. Also all it takes is a competitor to come along and actually provide legitimate customer service to displace any advantage they think they currently have.

5. cpa

cpa Active Member

Jevan43, the explanation sounds about right. The one Teslaloop driver that I saw at the Indio Supercharger at 8AM one day was female and around 23-24 years of age. I suspect that Teslaloop employs a number of individuals part-time; perhaps a few others on call. Perhaps the scheduled driver flaked out for whatever reason, and it took a lot of time to find someone on call who was willing to work for the day.

It is not that unusual for small businesses who rely upon a number of younger people part-time or as needed to wind up with no one wanting to work on a given day.

• Like x 1
  6. jevan43

jevan43 Member

If that is the case than they are admittedly coming to market with an inferior service. One that places you at the mercy of potentially flaky younger people.

Sure flying has its potential delays and hassle, other car services and bus rides do as well but at least by doing business with them you're not relying on whether or not your driver "feels like working today."

You also raise an interesting thought..perhaps many of Tesloop's drivers are fairly young. That may call into question their driving experience, hours behind the wheel, and overall judgement. Maybe not the best people with whom to put one's life in the hands of.

7. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Nah, I'm sure they just let Autopilot do all the work, nothing to worry about.

8. jevan43

jevan43 Member

I was in a classic MS.