Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesloop Model X at 350,000 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That just doesn't seem like enough for tires.
How many folks are getting 50k out of tires on and S or X?

I will replace my 2nd set of tires soon. My MS has 100,000 miles. First Michelin Pilot Sport A/S lasted 55000 miles. Costco says I should be good for another rotation or two so I am expecting this set to be replaced at about 110,000 miles

Last edited:
Reactions: StealthP3D
Pretty sure they're using Nexen tires, with a high mileage warranty, but not exactly a high performance tire.

And replacing the brakes at the equivalent of 10-20 years of normal (not livery) mileage is pretty good, certainly better than my BMWs.

I'd been planning to get the extended warranty when I hit 50k, but I think I might skip it. Between the initial cost and mandatory maintenance, it's probably not worth it, especially they didn't even have minor repairs before 100k miles.

I am not sure. 13% battery degradation is pretty big. Wish someone had a similar mileaged car that had been charged mostly on HPWCs so we could compare degradation.

I would be totally fine if my battery degraded by only 13% after driving 350,000 (supercharged) miles.

I had roughly 8% at 35,000 miles. So 13% doesn't seem bad at all to me.

I can't see the video right now but if I put it in mileage terms of a lowly 75D that's still 206 miles of range. If it's a 90D (P or not) then it's even more impressive considering the known degradation issues on those.

Hard to believe you could do it for $200 since rotors are suppose to be replace with brake service according to the BMW service manual. This is become more and more the standard procedure for cars since they make the rotors thinners (and lighter) so they cannot tolerate being lathed/resurfaced.

Depends on the quality of rotors. You can buy rotors for as little as $25/piece. I just did the brake system on my Audi with the brembo system; it cost me $140 for rotors, $70 in pads, and about $20 in brake fluid so I could flush the lines. Even when I upgrade - on an old Subaru I went with performance rotors and pads it was about $400 in parts.

Last edited:
Depends on the quality of rotors. You can buy rotors for as little as $25/piece. I just did the brake system on my Audi with the brembo system; it cost me $140 for rotors, $70 in pads, and about $20 in brake fluid so I could flush the lines. Even when I upgrade - on an old Subaru I went with performance rotors and pads it was about $400 in parts.

Got it. I always try to use OEM parts on brakes or any drivetrain components. I think the last time I did the BMW 3 series they were about $160 each.

Got it. I always try to use OEM parts on brakes or any drivetrain components. I think the last time I did the BMW 3 series they were about $160 each.

Rotors and pads aren't that bad to go non-OEM. Most of them end up sourcing them anyway, so if you find out the supplier you can get the parts for a fraction of the price. You can get some good Brembo's for about $67/piece. Depending on type the price starts creeping up if you get them drilled, slotted, special coated, cryo treated etc. But I typically ball park a high quality brake replacement to be about $100/corner for a DIY and about $200-$250/corner for a OEM dealer installed.

I've tracked a number of rotors/pad combinations and found the majority of failures are either installation related (failure to bed, clean, are common) or driver related (overuse of brakes) While they exist, rarely are failures hardware related (ie, seperation of the rotor) in my experience.

But eithe way, $1600 for just rear brakes seems really high. A brake job is roughly 2 hours book time (and that's for all four!) The labor rate would have to be assumed to be at or over $300/hour to get the math to work - which would be absurd.

Rotors and pads aren't that bad to go non-OEM. Most of them end up sourcing them anyway, so if you find out the supplier you can get the parts for a fraction of the price. You can get some good Brembo's for about $67/piece. Depending on type the price starts creeping up if you get them drilled, slotted, special coated, cryo treated etc. But I typically ball park a high quality brake replacement to be about $100/corner for a DIY and about $200-$250/corner for a OEM dealer installed.

I've tracked a number of rotors/pad combinations and found the majority of failures are either installation related (failure to bed, clean, are common) or driver related (overuse of brakes) While they exist, rarely are failures hardware related (ie, seperation of the rotor) in my experience.

But eithe way, $1600 for just rear brakes seems really high. A brake job is roughly 2 hours book time (and that's for all four!) The labor rate would have to be assumed to be at or over $300/hour to get the math to work - which would be absurd.

Isn't Tesla labor rate $250/hr?

Isn't Tesla labor rate $250/hr?

I have no idea, I haven’t needed their labor. But I think average dealer labor rates are about $150/hr with markups in higher cost metro areas.

So $250 that would seem high, but that would still equate to $1100 in parts for a pair of rotors and pads. Maybe throw in a pair of new calipers? The red ones are on their shop for $2300 for four. So I guess if they replaced rotors, pads, and calipers then it would be in line.

Perhaps it varies by market, but my local SC is $150/hr labor rate, which is comparable to other dealers in the area.

I'm also impressed by the 13% degradation at 350,000 miles. That's 1362 full battery cycles at rated range, so likely at least 1500 full cycles considering real world efficiency. That impressive for any battery, let alone one subject to constant fast charging. Degradation is scary in a BEV because we start with a fixed range and long recharge times, but what condition do you think the engine/transmission of an ICE would be at 350k miles?

What I was most concerned about with long term ownership was expensive electronics repairs, screens, MCUs, door motors and such. Now, I may be lured into a false sense of security because some of the electronics systems are more likely to fail due to age than mileage and I might get more value out of a 100k mile warranty that lasts me 6 years (I'll definitely hit 100k before the 8 year mark). Other things like the FWDs though probably had more cycles in their first year than I will ever hit.

I've owned a good number of high end BMWs that I wouldn't even consider keeping past the extended warranty. This Model X sounds like it may surprise me (pleasantly).

I have no idea, I haven’t needed their labor. But I think average dealer labor rates are about $150/hr with markups in higher cost metro areas.

So $250 that would seem high, but that would still equate to $1100 in parts for a pair of rotors and pads. Maybe throw in a pair of new calipers? The red ones are on their shop for $2300 for four. So I guess if they replaced rotors, pads, and calipers then it would be in line.

I needed their labor to replace the windshield wiper blades since they were the only source and were looking at some other issues at the time.

I'm terrified to ask. How much did they charge you for wiper blades + labor?

Luckily on the S it's available elsewhere. $15 and 10 minutes was all it took.

I don't have the bill (company lease), but it was something in $80 range. I was a bit shocked. My family owns a service shop and I worked their for a decade and can't every remember seeing wipers for more than $15. And we threw in installation!

I've owned a good number of high end BMWs that I wouldn't even consider keeping past the extended warranty. This Model X sounds like it may surprise me (pleasantly).

My previous 335i at 4 years old spent more time in the shop than the road one summer.

Like you am really pleased to see how well the Tesloop Xs are holding up. Am skipping the extended warranty. Ours has only done 19K so far but no issues that shouldn't have been sorted before handover.

Looking fowards to many more miles with our car :).