TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesloop's 200K miles Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ApauloThirteen, Sep 29, 2016.

1. ApauloThirteen

A (long distance taxi/car hire) company ran a 2015 200K miles.

Key points:
    6% battery degradation after 200K miles, charged to 100% every day.
    No other major maintenance issues
    Didn't replace brakes.

Tales from a Tesla Model S at 200k miles

So charging to 90% and running 200K+ miles shouldn't be a problem

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  2. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

Wow... daily 100% charge with 6% degradation at 200,000 miles. That's awesome.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

That is amazing battery performance and hopefully other media will pick up on this story and report it.

I found this part of the article interesting, quote:
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Then, just as the car hit 200,000 miles, the range estimator became inaccurate. Though the car didn’t actually lose any range, the estimator would say it could go another ten miles—and then power down. Tesla looked into the issue, and told Tesloop that there’s a battery chemistry state that high-mileage cars go into, and the software isn’t properly compensating for that change. There will be a firmware update in three months that will take care of the discrepancy, but Tesla just replaced the battery to solve the problem. “We got our 6% range back with the new battery,” Sonnad said with a laugh. “But had the firmware been updated, we’d be fine and plugging along.”
    ------------------------------------------------------------

• Love x 3
    • Like x 1
  4. ApauloThirteen

#4 ApauloThirteen, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    Hmm say they ran it about one year, 6 days a week: (200,000/312 days --> 641 miles per work day). So half of the charging miles were gained at a supercharger.

Almost wish Tesla would've let them run it to 300K miles or buy the car from them and run it another 100-200K miles+.

• Like x 1
  5. 1tsla

1tsla Member

that's great! I'm hoping to use mine to 300k. :) btw, I have 181 miles so far.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 2
  6. PtG62901

PtG62901 Member

• Informative x 1
  7. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

That is awesome! I am highly confident these cars could go a 500,000 miles with the right service performed. And with the motors about the size of a paint can, what's the big deal about just pulling it and dropping a rebuilt one in after that.. right?

• Like x 1
  8. tls

tls Member

My usage pattern has me range-charging about every other time I drive the car (we go about 300 miles/week, but in a pair of long trips and one short trip -- more like 400-450/week during ski season). From my very limited and nonscientific understanding of Li-Ion battery performance, I've believed the key was to not leave the car in a high charge state for significant lengths of time.

It looks to me like Tesloop's usage will achieve that same thing. They may charge to 270 miles, but then they immediately drive to Bairstow: problem solved.

Is my understanding accurate?

9. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

You're assuming that only charging/discharging cycles effect the battery health. Its quite possible that there is a time component as well, particularly time at high state of charge. Keep in mind this car is only a year old.

• Like x 1
  10. BLKTSLA

BLKTSLA Member

Exactly! Getting to 6 figure miles is something I expected a Tesla to do no problem, it's the time factor that everyone is curious about. How well does the car hold up over time both being used aggressively like Teslaloop and lightly being used over a few years and 100k+ miles, that's the true test of endurance for an auto and a lithium-ion battery.

11. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    Great news! It's still going so we should see another 200,000 added in another year or so. For the Ranger Chargers among us, we need to remember to use teh car immediately after the charge, just as does Tesloop.

I know a South France taxi driver who runs his MB taxi for 400,000 km before switching. Tesloop experience seem favorable to tesla exceeding that handily, with much lower running costs. There is a Quebec City tesla-driving taxi driver, IIRC, who has been having similar great results. I wonder how the Amsterdam fleet is doing?

12. mhpr262

mhpr262 Member

I am pretty certain it is. Also, there is very little degradation due to age.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Also says
    "“We did have a few things go wrong,” Sonnad said. At about 30,000 miles, the car was relaying messages to Tesla HQ that the motor was operating at low power. “Tesla called us up and told us that,” Sonnad said. “We didn’t notice any problems. It was super fast.” But Tesla had the company bring the car in, and it replaced the front motor."

I would be curious to hear more details as to any other repairs done and on any other vehicles in their fleet.

I don't see any details other than the bottom of a blog entry from last year at Blog
    "P.S. after getting back the invoice, I see that Tesla Service also: Discovered a minor air leak in a door at high speeds. Fixed the handle and mounting of the door handle causing this. Replaced the front facing camera. Serviced the radar. Performed a front end alignment. Washed the car. Delivered the car back to us and took back their loaner. All at no cost."