Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesloop's 200K miles Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6% battery degradation after 200K miles, charged to 100% every day.
That is amazing battery performance and hopefully other media will pick up on this story and report it.

I found this part of the article interesting, quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------
Then, just as the car hit 200,000 miles, the range estimator became inaccurate. Though the car didn’t actually lose any range, the estimator would say it could go another ten miles—and then power down. Tesla looked into the issue, and told Tesloop that there’s a battery chemistry state that high-mileage cars go into, and the software isn’t properly compensating for that change. There will be a firmware update in three months that will take care of the discrepancy, but Tesla just replaced the battery to solve the problem. “We got our 6% range back with the new battery,” Sonnad said with a laugh. “But had the firmware been updated, we’d be fine and plugging along.”
------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm say they ran it about one year, 6 days a week: (200,000/312 days --> 641 miles per work day). So half of the charging miles were gained at a supercharger.

Almost wish Tesla would've let them run it to 300K miles or buy the car from them and run it another 100-200K miles+.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
That is awesome! I am highly confident these cars could go a 500,000 miles with the right service performed. And with the motors about the size of a paint can, what's the big deal about just pulling it and dropping a rebuilt one in after that.. right?

Reactions: PtG62901
My usage pattern has me range-charging about every other time I drive the car (we go about 300 miles/week, but in a pair of long trips and one short trip -- more like 400-450/week during ski season). From my very limited and nonscientific understanding of Li-Ion battery performance, I've believed the key was to not leave the car in a high charge state for significant lengths of time.

It looks to me like Tesloop's usage will achieve that same thing. They may charge to 270 miles, but then they immediately drive to Bairstow: problem solved.

Is my understanding accurate?

You're assuming that only charging/discharging cycles effect the battery health. Its quite possible that there is a time component as well, particularly time at high state of charge. Keep in mind this car is only a year old.

Exactly! Getting to 6 figure miles is something I expected a Tesla to do no problem, it's the time factor that everyone is curious about. How well does the car hold up over time both being used aggressively like Teslaloop and lightly being used over a few years and 100k+ miles, that's the true test of endurance for an auto and a lithium-ion battery.

Great news! It's still going so we should see another 200,000 added in another year or so. For the Ranger Chargers among us, we need to remember to use teh car immediately after the charge, just as does Tesloop.

I know a South France taxi driver who runs his MB taxi for 400,000 km before switching. Tesloop experience seem favorable to tesla exceeding that handily, with much lower running costs. There is a Quebec City tesla-driving taxi driver, IIRC, who has been having similar great results. I wonder how the Amsterdam fleet is doing?

From my very limited and nonscientific understanding of Li-Ion battery performance, I've believed the key was to not leave the car in a high charge state for significant lengths of time.

It looks to me like Tesloop's usage will achieve that same thing. They may charge to 270 miles, but then they immediately drive to Bairstow: problem solved.

Is my understanding accurate?
I am pretty certain it is. Also, there is very little degradation due to age.

Also says
"“We did have a few things go wrong,” Sonnad said. At about 30,000 miles, the car was relaying messages to Tesla HQ that the motor was operating at low power. “Tesla called us up and told us that,” Sonnad said. “We didn’t notice any problems. It was super fast.” But Tesla had the company bring the car in, and it replaced the front motor."

I would be curious to hear more details as to any other repairs done and on any other vehicles in their fleet.

I don't see any details other than the bottom of a blog entry from last year at Blog
"P.S. after getting back the invoice, I see that Tesla Service also: Discovered a minor air leak in a door at high speeds. Fixed the handle and mounting of the door handle causing this. Replaced the front facing camera. Serviced the radar. Performed a front end alignment. Washed the car. Delivered the car back to us and took back their loaner. All at no cost."

Using 265 RM, that 11.6% degradation? That seems high, isn't it?

A little... but I think a large chunk of that is a calculation error. I usually only charge to ~60% SOC which is really good for longevity by really bad for the pack knowing what it's capacity is. Every road trip my range goes up 3 or 4 miles as the pack balances. I've not had any degradation in the last year.

A little... but I think a large chunk of that is a calculation error. I usually only charge to ~60% SOC which is really good for longevity by really bad for the pack knowing what it's capacity is. Every road trip my range goes up 3 or 4 miles as the pack balances. I've not had any degradation in the last year.
Ah. I was wondering if that might be the case. You should do a full charge then run it down to 15% or so and do a 90 or 100% charge again just to see where you really are.. I know a lot of us would love to know! ;-)