Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesmanian dog seat cover for Tesla Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Tesla friends:

We took delivery a couple of weeks ago and found that our dog was completely uncomfortable in the backseat. We were using a cotton canvas backseat apron (well, that's what I call it!) that I'd made for our old Prius and it was slipping around a bit on the new vinyl seats. We weren't sure what was bothering the pooch -- was it the sliding around, the distance between the rear and front seats, the sounds, the suspension, the glass roof? We had a suspicion that it was because she was sliding around a little, but we weren't sure. We looked up reviews and decided to order the Tesmanian dog seat cover (hammock, really) because it sounded like it could help with the sliding and the big gap between the seats. We received it in a few days. We installed it (well, 'install,' ha ha, not exactly difficult), added the dog bed and pillow I'd made for the Prius, and the next day took our first road trip up the coast. The dog is super happy back there thankfully! And it was only $50. Here are some of the features I really appreciate:

1) the bottom is rubberized, so it doesn't slip around on the vinyl seats;
2) the front center piece is mesh and has a zipper, so you can easily pass treats or water or whatever to the pooch in the back seat;
3) there are two pockets behind the driver's seat that are perfect for holding a dog bowl and poop bags;
4) there are velcro slits to attach a doggie seat belt;
5) the sides by the doors have zippers so you can unzip it when the dog is getting in the car (protects the paint too!);
6) When the sides are zipped up, it is a nice little house for the pooch, which certainly makes her feel more secure.

We also got the Mighty Paw dog seat belt that connects to the child seat loop. It works great and I think it helps her feel settled in, actually. We don't have a problem with her running or jumping out of the car, but with the seat belt, we know that she won't go flying if we get rear-ended or in another kind of accident.

Anyway, hope this helps anyone who is thinking of getting these dog accessories.

Here's a link to the seat cover: Pets Dog Seat Cover for Tesla Model Y & Model 3
And the seat belt: Safety Belt - Dog Car Safety Belt

(Photos: left one is of a nervous Peanut on our old apron; the right one is of a relaxed Peanut sleeping after we put in the Tesmanian cover)

before.JPG
after.JPG

Last edited:
Hey Tesla friends:

We took delivery a couple of weeks ago and found that our dog was completely uncomfortable in the backseat. We were using a cotton canvas backseat apron (well, that's what I call it!) that I'd made for our old Prius and it was slipping around a bit on the new vinyl seats. We weren't sure what was bothering the pooch -- was it the sliding around, the distance between the rear and front seats, the sounds, the suspension, the glass roof? We had a suspicion that it was because she was sliding around a little, but we weren't sure. We looked up reviews and decided to order the Tesmanian dog seat cover (hammock, really) because it sounded like it could help with the sliding and the big gap between the seats. We received it in a few days. We installed it (well, 'install,' ha ha, not exactly difficult), added the dog bed and pillow I'd made for the Prius, and the next day took our first road trip up the coast. The dog is super happy back there thankfully! And it was only $50. Here are some of the features I really appreciate:

1) the bottom is rubberized, so it doesn't slip around on the vinyl seats;
2) the front center piece is mesh and has a zipper, so you can easily pass treats or water or whatever to the pooch in the back seat;
3) there are two pockets behind the driver's seat that are perfect for holding a dog bowl and poop bags;
4) there are velcro slits to attach a doggie seat belt;
5) the sides by the doors have zippers so you can unzip it when the dog is getting in the car (protects the paint too!);
6) When the sides are zipped up, it is a nice little house for the pooch, which certainly makes her feel more secure.

We also got the Mighty Paw dog seat belt that connects to the child seat loop. It works great and I think it helps her feel settled in, actually. We don't have a problem with her running or jumping out of the car, but with the seat belt, we know that she won't go flying if we get rear-ended or in another kind of accident.

Anyway, hope this helps anyone who is thinking of getting these dog accessories.

Here's a link to the seat cover: Pets Dog Seat Cover for Tesla Model Y & Model 3
And the seat belt: Safety Belt - Dog Car Safety Belt

(Photos: left one is of a nervous Peanut on our old apron; the right one is of a relaxed Peanut sleeping after we put in the Tesmanian cover)

View attachment 675938View attachment 675939
Thanks for the info and for sharing Peanut! She's adorable.

Thanks for the info and for sharing Peanut! She's adorable.
Thanks! She's a sweetheart. We found her when she was 2 months old on the streets of a small village in Oaxaca, Mexico. She had mange and worms and was an absolute tiny mess! Only weighed 2 pounds even though she was 2 months old. That was six years ago and now she's the luckiest dog alive, ha ha. Here's a pic on the day we found her:

IMG_0022.JPG

Hi, we have a large greyhound and a 7 year old kid. Could you use the Tesmanian dog seat hammock and undo the centre zip and only have it hooked over one front seat so that you could have your kid taking up one seat and your dog taking up 2 seats? Thanks

Reactions: Gellie and Nolakai
Thanks! She's a sweetheart. We found her when she was 2 months old on the streets of a small village in Oaxaca, Mexico. She had mange and worms and was an absolute tiny mess! Only weighed 2 pounds even though she was 2 months old. That was six years ago and now she's the luckiest dog alive, ha ha.

Bless your heart! I think all animals we adopt or rescue are lucky :) We rescued a dog and two cats and you can see the love and gratitude in their eyes when they look at you, they know they were saved. It makes me choke up just typing about it! 😇

Reactions: Gellie and Nolakai
Anyone with white seats using the dog cover? The tesmanian site has a disclaimer about possible staining of the white seats, and recommends ceramic coating the white leather before using the dog cover. Has anyone experienced that?
It stained our white seats. 😐 I’ve just decided to live with it. Left golf ball looking dimples on it. I doubt the ceramic would stop it.

I thought about getting the Tesmanian Dog cover a few months ago when it was new but didnt hear or saw anyone reviewing it. I ended up getting another off brand Amazon dog cover/seat/ basket which contained my pup to only one side of the back seat so my passengers didnt have to sit on a dog cover as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0899.JPG
    IMG_0899.JPG
    487.1 KB · Views: 185
  • Love
Reactions: cancoi and Nolakai
Hi, we have a large greyhound and a 7 year old kid. Could you use the Tesmanian dog seat hammock and undo the centre zip and only have it hooked over one front seat so that you could have your kid taking up one seat and your dog taking up 2 seats? Thanks
I think you could do this. I've thought about cutting out the zippered mesh center panel altogether. It zips up only on one side. I've unhooked one side for an adult to sit in the other seat without a problem. Might make more sense to get one that is only for one side, though, if you're traveling with both kid and dog most of the time.

I thought about getting the Tesmanian Dog cover a few months ago when it was new but didnt hear or saw anyone reviewing it. I ended up getting another off brand Amazon dog cover/seat/ basket which contained my pup to only one side of the back seat so my passengers didnt have to sit on a dog cover as well.
Oh what a cutie! That looks like an awesome little basket. I think our pooch is too big for that, but that looks super useful.

Can anyone recommend a ”non sling‘ type that just covers the full rears seats(one piece) that can be easily removed?
I made one for our last car. It was quite simple. I bought black canvas and cut it to size and made two straps to go over the back headrests. I called it our car 'apron' because that's what it looked like. Worked great! Our pooch got nervous riding in the Tesla on it, though, because there is such a bigger gap between the front and back seats.

I would strongly recommend using a proper sized dog carrier placed in the trunk over using the back seat for your Pup. If not please use a dog harness with a short lead with this cover.
I also posted about using a seatbelt with this cover -- there are two velcro openings in the cover to attach the dog seatbelt directly to the child carseat hooks in the backseat. The seatbelt has a carabiner that attaches to the ring on her harness. You can see it attached in the 'relaxed Peanut' photo of her laying down. I assume that most backseat covers come with slits for seatbelts, but I'm not sure.

Reactions: S3XY1138