Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesmanian Model Y spoiler matte black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife surprised me and got me the matte black spoiler. She kept telling me not to waste money on car parts and then surprised me with an order. I just received the package and upon inspection for $150, the quality was a lot better than I expected. The matte finish is well painted and really goes well with my matte black emblem and the stock black lower rear diffuser. The fitment is spot on and is soft enough to flex a little to conform to the trunk but firmer than cheap polyurethane bumper plastic.

I can’t wait to install it tonight when I put the baby to sleep.

36056499-18D8-484F-8825-1EEA0F6EFD41.jpeg
A89EC5C3-498A-4592-8873-3E4AEED6569E.jpeg

It's on now! Was super easy. I saw that they provided some Chinese adhesive promoter. After reading some other threads about it and checking with some websites, I decided to forgo using the adhesive promoter. Another thread of a poor old chap used an adhesion promoter on his spoiler on a model S and it left glue residue seeping out, eventually it damaged his paint when he removed the spoiler. For me, I rather have this thing come off slightly and then re-apply with a stronger 3M VHB than use some unknown chemical that can damage paint, especially when I want to remove the spoiler some day.

Overall, it installed real easy and there are no gaps between the top of the trunk and the spoiler where it meets. I mean, zero, they really got this thing fabricated well. The end tails on the passenger side was spot on with no lifting, but the driver side had maybe 2-3mm of lifting before applying the adhesive backing tape. But the spoiler is significantly much easier to work with being ABS plastic and it flexes than the stiff carbon fiber. I can see now why the OEM carbon fiber and RPM Tesla CF spoiler continues to have problems at the corners, but the ABS is way more forgiving.

I had previously installed a carbon fiber lip spoiler just like this on a BMW 335i trunk and that spoiler also had a problem since I remember one side would lift real badly before the install because the CF was just molded wrong. I used 3M VHB on that as well and didn't use any adhesive promoter and the that spoiler never gave me any problems for 8 years. But that spoiler had 1 inch width of tape to work with.

IMG_8951.JPG

Last edited:
What a nice surprise from your wife! My husband to get an aftermarket spoiler. I am trying to convince him to get the $150 Tesmanian spoiler but he's insistent on RPM's carbon fiber. His argument is that carbon fiber will last longer, looks better, and plastic will crack. I'm not sure if what he said is correct but I question if it's worth it to spend more than twice as much more for RPM's carbon fiber (after taxes and shipping fees). You mentioned you have installed carbon fiber spoiler on another car - is there a visible difference that one is carbon and the other is not? Do the Tesmanians feel just as sturdy and nice as RPM's?

What a nice surprise from your wife! My husband to get an aftermarket spoiler. I am trying to convince him to get the $150 Tesmanian spoiler but he's insistent on RPM's carbon fiber. His argument is that carbon fiber will last longer, looks better, and plastic will crack. I'm not sure if what he said is correct but I question if it's worth it to spend more than twice as much more for RPM's carbon fiber (after taxes and shipping fees). You mentioned you have installed carbon fiber spoiler on another car - is there a visible difference that one is carbon and the other is not? Do the Tesmanians feel just as sturdy and nice as RPM's?

I don't know about the Tesmanian made version's overall quality, but quality of carbon fiber (CF) varies greatly. Also, some people, possibly your husband, just like the look of CF better than matte or gloss black plastics. I have a CF on my S that is 4 years old. It is gloss CF, and was made very well (and quite $). If you do not periodically apply some amount of UV protection to CF, it will fade, no matter the quality. I apply a protector to mine every few months, and I still see some signs of fade. CF will likely NOT crack if made properly. Plastic can if it sees enough stress, although I doubt that would be an issue here.

• Informative
Reactions: AprilMay
I don't know about the Tesmanian made version's overall quality, but quality of carbon fiber (CF) varies greatly. Also, some people, possibly your husband, just like the look of CF better than matte or gloss black plastics. I have a CF on my S that is 4 years old. It is gloss CF, and was made very well (and quite $). If you do not periodically apply some amount of UV protection to CF, it will fade, no matter the quality. I apply a protector to mine every few months, and I still see some signs of fade. CF will likely NOT crack if made properly. Plastic can if it sees enough stress, although I doubt that would be an issue here.

The spoiler that comes with the Model Y Performance is the only one I've seen and really like the way it looks so will aim for something similar in appearance. I will go with black in a matte finish. Thanks for the info on fading of carbon fiber. I was not aware of that issue but it's helpful to know it needs UV protection should we go with carbon CF. What product are you using for UV protection?

The carbon fiber spoiler I had on my BMW had two advantages and not a great example since:
1) It was fully painted to match the BMW alpine white color on the top side and then clear coated. On the bottom side, it was kept the carbon fiber look but clear coated at the paint shop altogether. The carbon side never faded but that may be because the backside is never exposed to much sun.

2) Secondly, this spoiler sat on top of the trunk of the BMW. So unlike the Tesla where it is curved and attaches at two angles, the BMW spoiler attaches more securely by gravity and by a thicker and wider surface area.

Here's a picture it.:
bmw.JPG

By the way, here is the pictures of the final install of the Tesmanian matte black spoiler. Initially, I was turned off by the idea of an "ABS spoiler" that was matte black, but I can say the quality is very good. I also figured that since the car already comes with so much matte black of everything else stock like the rear diffuser, the window trim, and my emblems, I just don't see a place for the carbon fiber weave look. Secondly, carbon fiber weave can only be seen up close 5 ft away or closer. Majority of the time, people will just see a black spoiler, ABS matte black or CF black, especially a spoiler that is so thin like on the Model Y.

I don't really care if it fades in 5 years. It is so cheap that in 4 or 5 years, this thing will be like $80 bucks wholesale and one can just replace it again. By the way, I reiterated that I did not use the adhesive promoter. I really don't think it is needed. The provided double sided tape is already quite strong. Clean the surface 3 times over with 70% isopropyl alcohol and do not touch it again with your oily fingers, and it should be good to go.

The matte black spoiler matches the matte black on the emblem and window trim very well.

4.JPG

1.JPG

3.JPG

2.JPG

Thanks for all the pics and going into more detail about the spoiler. I like it for the same reasons you pointed out. I'm getting the same MY in white paint and think the small black matte spoiler goes so well with the black matte chrome deletes on the car. The rims on the inductions are also matte black so I feel aesthetically, the matte black spoiler balances everything out. Wish me luck convincing my husband that Tesmanian is the way to go. Now he's saying it won't last as long as carbon fiber and fade quicker. However, it sounds like both materials fade anyways so I might as well go for the more affordable option. It's not a big deal or expense to replace the ABS plastic so long as I get a good 4 years or so out of it.

BTW, your spoiler install looks great!

The carbon fiber spoiler I had on my BMW had two advantages and not a great example since:
1) It was fully painted to match the BMW alpine white color on the top side and then clear coated. On the bottom side, it was kept the carbon fiber look but clear coated at the paint shop altogether. The carbon side never faded but that may be because the backside is never exposed to much sun.

2) Secondly, this spoiler sat on top of the trunk of the BMW. So unlike the Tesla where it is curved and attaches at two angles, the BMW spoiler attaches more securely by gravity and by a thicker and wider surface area.

Here's a picture it.:
View attachment 621686

By the way, here is the pictures of the final install of the Tesmanian matte black spoiler. Initially, I was turned off by the idea of an "ABS spoiler" that was matte black, but I can say the quality is very good. I also figured that since the car already comes with so much matte black of everything else stock like the rear diffuser, the window trim, and my emblems, I just don't see a place for the carbon fiber weave look. Secondly, carbon fiber weave can only be seen up close 5 ft away or closer. Majority of the time, people will just see a black spoiler, ABS matte black or CF black, especially a spoiler that is so thin like on the Model Y.

I don't really care if it fades in 5 years. It is so cheap that in 4 or 5 years, this thing will be like $80 bucks wholesale and one can just replace it again. By the way, I reiterated that I did not use the adhesive promoter. I really don't think it is needed. The provided double sided tape is already quite strong. Clean the surface 3 times over with 70% isopropyl alcohol and do not touch it again with your oily fingers, and it should be good to go.

The matte black spoiler matches the matte black on the emblem and window trim very well.

View attachment 621687
View attachment 621688
View attachment 621689
View attachment 621690

My spoiler is being delivered tomorrow. With it being cold outside my garage is usually in the mid 50’s, should I wait until is warmer to install? I was concerned the tape wouldn’t cure if it is too cold. Thanks!

Love it, but torn between the matte black or go body color in Deep Blue Metallic? Are there any TEMP restrictions re installation mentioned. Its always kind of cold these days (garage can drop to 45 degrees) or should I wait for warmer temps?
Just installed my spoiler today in matte black on my DBM. I'll post pics soon. Personally I like the contrast of having different than body color. I plastidipped my rear emblems too to match.

How do people find the quality of the Tesmanian. Just got my midnight silver. Was torn between same colour or matte black. Finally ordered matte black.

I mean it seems fine to me? Its essentially a long piece of (what I assume) is..plastic. The shape/fitment/look/quality of adhesion on the installed double face tape seems fine two weeks later post install.