Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesmanian Model Y spoiler matte black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my matte carbon fiber spoiler from RPM back on October 28 and still no spoiler. Coming up on 3 months now and the order still reads as "unfulfilled". I contacted them a few times and they said they had to get new molds and the spoilers should be shipping soon. Who knows. I'll give them a few more weeks then cancel the order if there's still no progress.

The carbon fiber spoiler I had on my BMW had two advantages and not a great example since:
1) It was fully painted to match the BMW alpine white color on the top side and then clear coated. On the bottom side, it was kept the carbon fiber look but clear coated at the paint shop altogether. The carbon side never faded but that may be because the backside is never exposed to much sun.

2) Secondly, this spoiler sat on top of the trunk of the BMW. So unlike the Tesla where it is curved and attaches at two angles, the BMW spoiler attaches more securely by gravity and by a thicker and wider surface area.

Here's a picture it.:
View attachment 621686

By the way, here is the pictures of the final install of the Tesmanian matte black spoiler. Initially, I was turned off by the idea of an "ABS spoiler" that was matte black, but I can say the quality is very good. I also figured that since the car already comes with so much matte black of everything else stock like the rear diffuser, the window trim, and my emblems, I just don't see a place for the carbon fiber weave look. Secondly, carbon fiber weave can only be seen up close 5 ft away or closer. Majority of the time, people will just see a black spoiler, ABS matte black or CF black, especially a spoiler that is so thin like on the Model Y.

I don't really care if it fades in 5 years. It is so cheap that in 4 or 5 years, this thing will be like $80 bucks wholesale and one can just replace it again. By the way, I reiterated that I did not use the adhesive promoter. I really don't think it is needed. The provided double sided tape is already quite strong. Clean the surface 3 times over with 70% isopropyl alcohol and do not touch it again with your oily fingers, and it should be good to go.

The matte black spoiler matches the matte black on the emblem and window trim very well.

View attachment 621687
View attachment 621688
View attachment 621689
View attachment 621690

Where did you source the matte black Tesla emblems?

I ordered my matte carbon fiber spoiler from RPM back on October 28 and still no spoiler. Coming up on 3 months now and the order still reads as "unfulfilled". I contacted them a few times and they said they had to get new molds and the spoilers should be shipping soon. Who knows. I'll give them a few more weeks then cancel the order if there's still no progress.

Cancel and go through tesmanian.com . Mine shipped the next day both and was delivered the following day (I'm in socal and they are in pamona so it's close) rpmtesla sucks IMO with wait times. Had the same thing happen to me for the black matte emblems .. waited a month . Finally ordered from Mr emblem and it got shipped the next day..

How do people find the quality of the Tesmanian. Just got my midnight silver. Was torn between same colour or matte black. Finally ordered matte black.
What color did you end up going with? I also have a midnight silver metallic Y and am wondering if the same color or contrasting matte black would look better. I think the matte black looks great with the white Y but not sure MSM since it's so similar in color. Thanks.

It's on now! Was super easy. I saw that they provided some Chinese adhesive promoter. After reading some other threads about it and checking with some websites, I decided to forgo using the adhesive promoter. Another thread of a poor old chap used an adhesion promoter on his spoiler on a model S and it left glue residue seeping out, eventually it damaged his paint when he removed the spoiler. For me, I rather have this thing come off slightly and then re-apply with a stronger 3M VHB than use some unknown chemical that can damage paint, especially when I want to remove the spoiler some day.

Overall, it installed real easy and there are no gaps between the top of the trunk and the spoiler where it meets. I mean, zero, they really got this thing fabricated well. The end tails on the passenger side was spot on with no lifting, but the driver side had maybe 2-3mm of lifting before applying the adhesive backing tape. But the spoiler is significantly much easier to work with being ABS plastic and it flexes than the stiff carbon fiber. I can see now why the OEM carbon fiber and RPM Tesla CF spoiler continues to have problems at the corners, but the ABS is way more forgiving.

I had previously installed a carbon fiber lip spoiler just like this on a BMW 335i trunk and that spoiler also had a problem since I remember one side would lift real badly before the install because the CF was just molded wrong. I used 3M VHB on that as well and didn't use any adhesive promoter and the that spoiler never gave me any problems for 8 years. But that spoiler had 1 inch width of tape to work with.

View attachment 621390
Whats the width of 3m vhb did you use and did you apply it to top and bottom? Tia!

It's on now! Was super easy. I saw that they provided some Chinese adhesive promoter. After reading some other threads about it and checking with some websites, I decided to forgo using the adhesive promoter. Another thread of a poor old chap used an adhesion promoter on his spoiler on a model S and it left glue residue seeping out, eventually it damaged his paint when he removed the spoiler. For me, I rather have this thing come off slightly and then re-apply with a stronger 3M VHB than use some unknown chemical that can damage paint, especially when I want to remove the spoiler some day.

Overall, it installed real easy and there are no gaps between the top of the trunk and the spoiler where it meets. I mean, zero, they really got this thing fabricated well. The end tails on the passenger side was spot on with no lifting, but the driver side had maybe 2-3mm of lifting before applying the adhesive backing tape. But the spoiler is significantly much easier to work with being ABS plastic and it flexes than the stiff carbon fiber. I can see now why the OEM carbon fiber and RPM Tesla CF spoiler continues to have problems at the corners, but the ABS is way more forgiving.

I had previously installed a carbon fiber lip spoiler just like this on a BMW 335i trunk and that spoiler also had a problem since I remember one side would lift real badly before the install because the CF was just molded wrong. I used 3M VHB on that as well and didn't use any adhesive promoter and the that spoiler never gave me any problems for 8 years. But that spoiler had 1 inch width of tape to work with.

View attachment 621390
Hi. Did whats the width of

View attachment 621390
Hi. What's the width of 3m vhb did you use and did you apply it to top and bottom? Tia!

Wasn't planning on placing a spoiler on the car but my wife opened the trunk while in the garage... oops. It happens, but I hadn't even put 1,000 miles on it yet so was hopeful the Tesmanian matte black spoiler might conceal the damage. Hypothesis proven correct! WooHoo! Haha. I actually kind of like it. I know someone else who paid $1,800 to fix their trunk with similar damage. For $150, I'm happy. Lemonade out of lemons, right?!

Spoiler-1.jpeg

Attachments

• Scratched.jpeg
    Scratched.jpeg
    275 KB · Views: 253
  • Spoiler-2.jpeg
    Spoiler-2.jpeg
    406.2 KB · Views: 174
  • Spoiler-3.jpeg
    Spoiler-3.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 173
  • Spoiler-4.jpeg
    Spoiler-4.jpeg
    694.2 KB · Views: 180
Wasn't planning on placing a spoiler on the car but my wife opened the trunk while in the garage... oops. It happens, but I hadn't even put 1,000 miles on it yet so was hopeful the Tesmanian matte black spoiler might conceal the damage. Hypothesis proven correct! WooHoo! Haha. I actually kind of like it. I know someone else who paid $1,800 to fix their trunk with similar damage. For $150, I'm happy. Lemonade out of lemons, right?!

View attachment 694134
That’s exactly what happened to me but my kid opened it on our garage. Is that matte black or solid black? I have white too and I really like the look of yours.

Reactions: Klau2
That’s exactly what happened to me but my kid opened it on our garage. Is that matte black or solid black? I have white too and I really like the look of yours.
Sorry for the late reply. It's matte black. It's holding up real well and I'm taking it as a blessing in disguise. I think it looks really nice. Let's just say I was less than happy when I saw that scratch but all good in the end. :)

Reactions: Grovester
There’s a Black Friday sale on this spoiler. Comes to about $56 before tax. I’m trying to decide between solid black and matte black. Any opinions? I have the matte black induction wheels. So matte black may match that better. On the other hand, solid black may match the rear window better.

Anyone seen both?

Code CS30 gives you 30% off for Black Friday.

There’s a Black Friday sale on this spoiler. Comes to about $56 before tax. I’m trying to decide between solid black and matte black. Any opinions? I have the matte black induction wheels. So matte black may match that better. On the other hand, solid black may match the rear window better.

Anyone seen both?

Code CS30 gives you 30% off for Black Friday.
Thanks for that information. I went with the black one.