Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tessie App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for an app to track the amount of charge I do at home from the wall mount charger. I need to track all the electricity used in my Tesla but I need a way to separate it from the outside charging (destination, supercharger, etc.).

Will Tessie show me on a monthly basis how much was charger at home?
It shows you every Charge Event don't know if it can aggregate them but it allows you to compare cost to ICE which is very reassuring, 15,000 Miles and I've saved £3K compared to Petrol, partly because Public Charging is still free where I live in Scotland.

Looking for an app to track the amount of charge I do at home from the wall mount charger. I need to track all the electricity used in my Tesla but I need a way to separate it from the outside charging (destination, supercharger, etc.).

Will Tessie show me on a monthly basis how much was charger at home?
Yep. Can see costs by time and location. Last month at home, all time anywhere, etc.

I really only need to track the costs at home. This will save me needing to put some type of meter on the wall charger. Thanks!
Yep, it’ll do that for you. You’ll need to set up a tagged location as ‘home’ and add your cost per kwh to the location.

After you’ve done this it’ll show in the ‘Charging’ section. Using the Analytics feature you can filter by location and then choose what period you want to report on.

Yep. Can see costs by time and location. Last month at home, all time anywhere, etc.

Yep, it’ll do that for you. You’ll need to set up a tagged location as ‘home’ and add your cost per kwh to the location.

After you’ve done this it’ll show in the ‘Charging’ section. Using the Analytics feature you can filter by location and then choose what period you want to report on.

I can see that in the app and have set it at home. Will see in the morning what kind of data it show. Thanks.

I have the new refresh model S. In the app it states I have 87.1kw of useful battery capacity. I thought this had 97-100kw?
The initial number isn't totally accurate, but it shouldn't be way off either. Tessie will hone in on the number over time as you charge. The bigger the charge, the more accurate the number. With several charges it should be >99.9% accurate (it should match physical analysis tools hooked up to the car.)

You can check it the next time you charge: If you charge from 90% to 100%, and the car says it added 10 kW, you'd have a 100 kW battery, roughly speaking.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
The initial number isn't totally accurate, but it shouldn't be way off either. Tessie will hone in on the number over time as you charge. The bigger the charge, the more accurate the number. With several charges it should be >99.9% accurate (it should match physical analysis tools hooked up to the car.)

You can check it the next time you charge: If you charge from 90% to 100%, and the car says it added 10 kW, you'd have a 100 kW battery, roughly speaking.

Played with it last night and made it into 3 charging sessions so I could look at the data:

65-67%: 1.67kWh added
67-85%: 16.23kWh added
85-89%: 3.45kWh added

Sound right?

Tonight I will get home at about 65%. Will charge and see what it does.

Played with it last night and made it into 3 charging sessions so I could look at the data:

65-67%: 1.67kWh added
67-85%: 16.23kWh added
85-89%: 3.45kWh added

Sound right?

Tonight I will get home at about 65%. Will charge and see what it does.
Yep, looks right! Averages are used to guarantee accuracy.

Usable battery capacity is more of an art than a science, because the battery is constantly changing, Teslas have a built in buffer (up to 5 kWh depending on the model), and some car calculations include this buffer and some don't. For some in-car calculations, this buffer is included - like energy added or maximum range. For other in-car calculations, like recent trip energy or the battery hitting 0%, it's not. Tessie's calculation includes the buffer, but you're not actually supposed to use it (by driving past 0%.)

It's kind of a huge mess, but Tessie tries to make it easy. :)

Yep, looks right! Averages are used to guarantee accuracy.

Usable battery capacity is more of an art than a science, because the battery is constantly changing, Teslas have a built in buffer (up to 5 kWh depending on the model), and some car calculations include this buffer and some don't. For some in-car calculations, this buffer is included - like energy added or maximum range. For other in-car calculations, like recent trip energy or the battery hitting 0%, it's not. Tessie's calculation includes the buffer, but you're not actually supposed to use it (by driving past 0%.)

It's kind of a huge mess, but Tessie tries to make it easy. :)

Charged to 100% to start the day. Took the interstate to burn extra power to the office today.

65-100%: 30.05kWh added

Thoughts?

Hi guys tried a search but can’t seem to find the answer. Does anyone know the best way to set petrol prices at 1.40 per litre, I know I can go to settings>fuel price but the options seem confusing from then. Thanks

I used this site which is updated regularly and seemed pretty accurate (accepting prices vary from city to city):

Hi guys tried a search but can’t seem to find the answer. Does anyone know the best way to set petrol prices at 1.40 per litre, I know I can go to settings>fuel price but the options seem confusing from then. Thanks
Simplest way to set cost per litre is to change the efficiency type in Settings > Fuel Comparison to km/L or L/100km. Then enter the km/L or L/100km efficiency for the car (you can Google the ratings pretty easily for most cars.) Nick77's method works too.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
The car doesn't store any historical data, so any time spent paused/not monitoring is data you can't get retrieve later. If you're not driving/charging during the time it's paused you won't lose anything meaningful.

The car does not store historical data but the app does, correct? How do we clear or pause that collection of data?

If I disable monitoring in settings, it states data will be lost. Does that meant all history or just during this disabled period?

Last edited:
The car does not store historical data but the app does, correct? How do we clear or pause that collection of data?

If I disable monitoring in settings, it states data will be lost. Does that meant all history or just during this disabled period?
Yeah, disabling monitoring in settings is the way to go. It's just talking about during the disabled period - the language is improved in the next update to be much clearer.