Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tessie App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ooo well spotted. Didn't know about that. My sub is up in september and yeah thats only 4 years worth and then profit. So providing that James and co keep Tessie going its a bargain. There constantly seem to be more and more updates and features and i've been super happy with it up until now.

• Love
Reactions: James@Tessie
I was contemplating tessie, but then found teslamate...

Then when I think about people paying for tessie:

kekw-kek.gif

Sounds great if you plan on keeping the same car forever.

It is a personal subscription not restricted to one vehicle.
I was contemplating tessie, but then found teslamate...

Then when I think about people paying for tessie:

kekw-kek.gif

Meh, horses for courses. As far as I'm aware Teslamate doesn't support google assistant? 1st word problem but thats basically the feature I use the most with Tessie.

Plus...it just works. If Tesla changes something with the api, I'm not the one that has to figure it out and update stuff. I just like the simplicity ;)

It is a personal subscription not restricted to one vehicle.

Meh, horses for courses. As far as I'm aware Teslamate doesn't support google assistant? 1st word problem but thats basically the feature I use the most with Tessie.

Plus...it just works. If Tesla changes something with the api, I'm not the one that has to figure it out and update stuff. I just like the simplicity ;)
It works for now. If Tesla killed off the API they’d all stop working and your $200 has gone forever

And with the API changes, any security breach by any 3rd party and your car can be located and driven away irrespective of mfa or pin2drive.

There’s simply no need to pay anyone or give away your car keys.

Reactions: Alan J
It works for now. If Tesla killed off the API they’d all stop working and your $200 has gone forever

And with the API changes, any security breach by any 3rd party and your car can be located and driven away irrespective of mfa or pin2drive.

There’s simply no need to pay anyone or give away your car keys.

Yes the data protection thing is and has always been, my biggest concern with all this.

But that said, who's to say Tesla's security is any stronger? I mean you constantly see adverts about protect your data, don't open phishing emails, install a million different firewall and anti virus softwares....and then Microsoft get hacked and lose all your data. Or your bank does. Or some other A list company.

At this point it just seems if its gonna happen, its gonna happen regardless of how much you try to avoid it.

Yes the data protection thing is and has always been, my biggest concern with all this.

But that said, who's to say Tesla's security is any stronger? I mean you constantly see adverts about protect your data, don't open phishing emails, install a million different firewall and anti virus softwares....and then Microsoft get hacked and lose all your data. Or your bank does. Or some other A list company.

At this point it just seems if its gonna happen, its gonna happen regardless of how much you try to avoid it.
True, and having a proper IT department and the ability to pay for proper pen testing etc isn’t a guarantee to protection, but half of these apps appear to be written in somebodies bedroom. It’s not worth the risk for me

True, and having a proper IT department and the ability to pay for proper pen testing etc isn’t a guarantee to protection, but half of these apps appear to be written in somebodies bedroom. It’s not worth the risk for me
I got into coding as a black-hat hacker when I was 9 years old, and consult professionally across industries on software and hardware security, so I can and do appreciate the security concern - it was built from scratch with security and data privacy in mind.

Conceptually it's more secure than services like mint.com, which store your bank credentials in plaintext. Tessie doesn't have any passwords for anything at all, so there's nothing to steal, brute-force or phish. MFA is on by default and everything is stored encrypted in Google data centers and encrypted in transit.

Obviously, nothing on the internet is 100% perfect or secure, but I do hear you and take enormous strides at making it the most secure product that is technically achievable.

While true, there's literally shedloads of step by step instructions where only copy paste is needed
Unfortunately the open source community copy and paste instructions in general, not just Teslamate have a habit of assuming existing permissions or dependencies inherited from previous or existing installations, or the process changes over time and without an in depth understanding it gets very frustrating. Have lost so much hair in participating in the open source world for both work and pleasure! Am a Teslamate user btw.

Unfortunately the open source community copy and paste instructions in general, not just Teslamate have a habit of assuming existing permissions or dependencies inherited from previous or existing installations, or the process changes over time and without an in depth understanding it gets very frustrating. Have lost so much hair in participating in the open source world for both work and pleasure! Am a Teslamate user btw.
I mean there is one with Google servers where you do not have to kind of install and set up locally, hence no such issues. and it guides you from scratch :/

One big benefit of Tessie is the customer service. My phone bricked last week and I've been going through the tooth-pulling of transfering my mobile service and all the associated accounts to a new phone. It's been a major hassle and time suck, in large part due to the fact that my previous phone wasn't available to get all the "we just texted you a verification code" for my various accounts. Long story short, I sent an email to Tessie Support and within a few minutes James got me into Tessie on my new phone. Tessie was an outlier, and it seems like I've been going in circles with chat bots trying to get human help with everyone else.

(Here's a lesson learned, BTW. It's a hundred times easier to transfer to a new phone if your old phone is functional. So if you have any doubt about the serviceability of your current phone, consider replacing it while it's still working.)