Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tessie is talking to someone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just went into my router and looked at my client list and it shows the Tesla is both receiving and transmitting in the 500 Mbps range. It varies a bit as I watch it.

She is talking to someone and they are talking to her.

I tried pasting the ip into Firefox and it wouldn't connect.

Is there a way to stop this constant communication?
Maybe that's why she has insomnia.

Just went into my router and looked at my client list and it shows the Tesla is both receiving and transmitting in the 500 Mbps range. It varies a bit as I watch it.

She was trying to download the map & upload your driving data to the mothership. That’s normal with a Tesla.

A firmware download can go around 500-2000MB.
A map update: 2-6GB. If it fails, it will retry again again. Mine went nearly 20GB in the past for a single map update.
Upload: 200-400MB daily with 100-150miles autopilot for me.

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl

I doubt it's 500mbps, wifi is not quite that fast. You likely have a rounding issue. Maybe 500kbps? Our Model S downloads about 1MB per day, uploads about the same during normal operations (no updates, etc).

I doubt it's 500mbps, wifi is not quite that fast. You likely have a rounding issue. Maybe 500kbps? Our Model S downloads about 1MB per day, uploads about the same during normal operations (no updates, etc).
Well the router says " 584 Mbps " which is megaBITS NO MEGABYTES. Shows it has been doing that for 29 hours and some minutes. My wi-fi is on 24 hours a day.

I suppose it's possible my ASUS router has lost it's mind but I hope they taught it how to count right.

Post a screenshot , I'd love to see how the interface looks.
upload_2019-3-19_9-16-56.png

WiFi can certainly be that fast... I don't know what kind of radios Tesla uses, but > 500mbps 802.11ac? All day.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 12.24.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 12.24.52 PM.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 8124660482.png
    8124660482.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 45
That's the possible transmit/receive rate, the speed that the link can currently support - based on how good a reception you have between the AP and the car. However, it doesn't mean that the car is actually sending data at that rate.

Of course - but just as a sample (see the speedtest also attached), I can routinely transmit >500mbps up/down. Actual throughput in the real world is usually roughly half the tx/rx rate.

I wouldn't expect the Model 3 to be shouting at a full 1300mbps+. Totally unnecessary.

That's the possible transmit/receive rate, the speed that the link can currently support - based on how good a reception you have between the AP and the car. However, it doesn't mean that the car is actually sending data at that rate.

It says TX rate which means that IS the rate it is transmitting at. It changes as I watch it. It goes up and down on both Transmit and Receive.

It < DOES > mean that is the transmit speed. Why else would the router show that?

It says TX rate which means that IS the rate it is transmitting at. It changes as I watch it. It goes up and down on both Transmit and Receive.

It < DOES > mean that is the transmit speed. Why else would the router show that?

That's the transmit channel width; that isn't really indicative of the actual throughput. 802.11 is a half-duplex protocol, and subject to channel contention, packet collisions, "noisy neighbor" problems and a myriad of other things that affect actual effective bandwidth.

So yes - it's negotiated a high channel bitrate; that doesn't mean the actual effective throughput is near that. It's usually about half, give or take.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl

Wi-Fi rates vary from router speeds, too. A hard wired device will show a faster speed than a speed test on my iPad. If I go upstairs the iPad speed rate drops again.