Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tessie off peak defrosting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate that in July I’m thinking ahead somewhat… 😂

… But, I’ve just noticed that the latest version of Tessie has automation options to do various things. I think defrosting the Model 3 in winter normally will be annoying because if the car is plugged in it will pull the charge needed to defrost from the wall rather than the battery. I won’t want this because by the time I leave for work I’ll be into my far more expensive on peak tariff.

So I was thinking, in winter if I set up Tessie to start defrosting the car at 4:30am, then stop defrosting at 5am when my off peak rate stops, would the car still be defrosted by 6-6:30am when I leave for work? I don’t mean will the interior still be warm, that doesn’t bother me as it warms up quickly inside anyway. I mean will ice on the windscreen still be gone or do you think it would freeze back over again during the 1 and a half hour period after defrosting stops?

I guess that would depend on the weather? Moisture in the air? Rain, outside temperature including wind chill. Some days it maybe fine and other days I’d suspect that 90 - 100 mins would be enough for the glass to cool down and re-freeze.

We can set our charger to only charge during off peak and therefore won’t provide power out of those times. The car will have to use its battery even though it’s plugged in. Do you have the functionality with your charger?

I guess that would depend on the weather? Moisture in the air? Rain, outside temperature including wind chill. Some days it maybe fine and other days I’d suspect that 90 - 100 mins would be enough for the glass to cool down and re-freeze.

We can set our charger to only charge during off peak and therefore won’t provide power out of those times. The car will have to use its battery even though it’s plugged in. Do you have the functionality with your charger?

Afraid not. I have the Tesla charger so all the off peak settings are controlled by the car and it seems to ignore them for defrosting/climate.

I wish there was a “climate from battery” toggle option somewhere.

I mean, the alternative to all this is for me to wander out to the car in my PJs on a cold morning and unplug it, before manually triggering ‘defrost’… but who wants to do that? 😝