Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tessler" or "Tezzler"?

How do you pronounce "Tesla"?

• TeSSla

Votes: 135 82.8%
  • TeZZla

Votes: 28 17.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I interviewed 10 girls at a local hair salon to find the true way of pronouncing Tesla. Here are the results
Funny to see this old thread resurrected. @databen concludes that it's pronounced Tezla because that's how Elon says it as a cofounder of the company. But of course Elon wasn't with Tesla when the company was named.

Reactions: mpt
I wrote this in another thread, I will write it again here.

If "Tesla" was just a made up name, I'd say you have to go with Elon's pronunciation. His company, he gets to define the name, HOWEVER, "Tesla" was a real flesh and blood person, who has his own pronunciation of his name. This part is NOT up for debate... Tesla himself pronounced it with the "S" sound, so therefore it is Tesla, not Tezla.

I've seen so much confusion over that phrase. I've seen is "hear here!" as in, listen to this right here
I read the whole thread to see if anyone gave the derivation... since not:

"Hear, hear" is a shortening of "hear him, hear him". Most often heard in British Parliament, of course. Back in the day, when anyone but 'him' would be an abomination :D j/k

I like to explain the derivation of these things since it helps people to know how to spell them. Like stationery, another one people often get confused with stationary.

How do you know the one for your letterhead and business cards as opposed to not moving? It came from the stationers, the one that printed the stuff that told people your "station".

And, on topic, I think it should be Tess-la, since it was named after the man, Tesla, who pronounced it that way. Individuals may have an accent that has them pronounce it Tezla. That's fine. That's like my pronouncing Rhode Island Rho Diland. I was born there. :D

But choosing/using an affectation to pronounce it Tezla is NOT proper, IMHO.