Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test car spotted with new sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bet it is for 360 camera view since a lot of cars have that now and Tesla wants to be at least as good on tech features.

that said, this one add really won't bother me as it something we almost never like using in our BMW that has it. Instead we use the parking audible sensors and backup camera. I do hope they add better car/wheel guidelines to camera view in time at least.

Would you elaborate on why you don't use 360 camera on your BMW? I will be ordering a MS for delivery later this year, perhaps as late as November, but possibly in September. If 360 view were in the works, it might be a good idea to forego the September delivery (intended to accommodate a planned trip to Tahoe) in hopes that a November car would have that capability.

On the other hand, I manage to park my old Ford Econoline work van with nothing but side mirrors and a rear-bumper-viewing mirror, so I'm not sure how useful the 360 would be.

Thanks

Would you elaborate on why you don't use 360 camera on your BMW? I will be ordering a MS for delivery later this year, perhaps as late as November, but possibly in September. If 360 view were in the works, it might be a good idea to forego the September delivery (intended to accommodate a planned trip to Tahoe) in hopes that a November car would have that capability.

On the other hand, I manage to park my old Ford Econoline work van with nothing but side mirrors and a rear-bumper-viewing mirror, so I'm not sure how useful the 360 would be.

Thanks

Every driver has different skills but I have no problem parking my Model S with the slide down side mirrors (in reverse) and the HD rear camera with the new guide lines. That's all I need to back into a tight spot. The only time I feel left out with having no parking sensors or other cameras is when I am trying to drive front in as far as I can without hitting a curb. The hood of the car is long and it's hard to know how far to drive forward. I always err on the side of caution and stop short just in case. I drive with the suspension on low always so I don't want to scratch the front lip.

I had the "birdseye view" cameras on my BMW and loved them! After pulling into a parking space you can easily see if you're within the parking stall lines, are straight or at an angle, how far away from the curb you are. Found them really helpful and a feature I would definitely purchase, if offered, by Tesla.

Attachments

• x5-camerasystems-02.jpg
    x5-camerasystems-02.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 918
I had the "birdseye view" cameras on my BMW and loved them! After pulling into a parking space you can easily see if you're within the parking stall lines, are straight or at an angle, how far away from the curb you are. Found them really helpful and a feature I would definitely purchase, if offered, by Tesla.

In my view a birds eye camera system is the single biggest feature omission from the Model S today, at least compared to the German brand equivalents.

I have a P85D on order and this thread is making me wonder if I should delay it to see if a 360 system appears.

Every driver has different skills but I have no problem parking my Model S with the slide down side mirrors (in reverse) and the HD rear camera with the new guide lines. That's all I need to back into a tight spot. The only time I feel left out with having no parking sensors or other cameras is when I am trying to drive front in as far as I can without hitting a curb. The hood of the car is long and it's hard to know how far to drive forward. I always err on the side of caution and stop short just in case. I drive with the suspension on low always so I don't want to scratch the front lip.

The front sensors aren't great at showing the distance to the curb. They are too high off the ground for that.

x5-camerasystems-02.jpg

What the Sam Hill is a BMW driver supposed to make out of those hieroglyphics on the left?

I'm guessing...
- parking UI (all the stuff shown)
- rear camera
- brightness adjustment
- contrast adjustment
- parking sensors type A
- parking sensors type B

No, no. It's clearly:

- Parking mode at an autocross. Where else are you going to encounter cones?
- Parking steering mode. Left-right steering controls pop-up right on the touchscreen!
- Retro camera mode. Super 8 camera film effects. For the Instagram fans.
- Weather forecast.
- contrast adjustment
- Parking mode for when something external is emitting the ultrasound.
- Parking mode for when the autocross cones are emitting the ultrasound.

Last edited:
No, no. It's clearly:

- Parking mode at an autocross. Where else are you going to encounter cones?
- Parking steering mode. Left-right steering controls pop-up right on the touchscreen!
- Retro camera mode. Super 8 camera film effects. For the Instagram fans.
- Weather forecast.
- contrast adjustment
- Parking mode for when something external is emitting the ultrasound.
- Parking mode for when the autocross cones are emitting the ultrasound.

Are you sure the one after weather forecast is contrast adjustment? Looks like a moon phase indicator. :wink:

Where is the front camera on the BMW? It looks like it gets a good front view but not entirely as close to the front bumper and the back?
It's possible I missed yet another new sensor on the front bumper, which would seem to be the logical place to put it for a birds-eye view.
Maybe the camera attached to the mirror is a dash cam or something else in addition to the birds-eye camera view that the others are clearly for.

Screen Shot 2015-06-20 at 11.28.36 AM.png

Tesla has just "Osborned" itself. I'll be telling anyone I know that is planning to order a car, to wait until this feature is built-into cars. Hopefully by the EOY.

I noticed the parking display was revised recently, perhaps 6.2, so that there's a big black area around the car. Obviously meant to be filled by the images provided by these cameras.

Tesla has just "Osborned" itself. I'll be telling anyone I know that is planning to order a car, to wait until this feature is built-into cars. Hopefully by the EOY.

I noticed the parking display was revised recently, perhaps 6.2, so that there's a big black area around the car. Obviously meant to be filled by the images provided by these cameras.

I bet we see this feature first on the Model X and later on the Model S. Elon has already hinted that there are a few new Model X features that have not yet been revealed.

I agree on the parking graphic in the new software. That was my first thought too: the 360 composite video feed goes in that black/dark grey area.

BTW - my dad worked for Osborne and I still have a 01 and Vixen.
While I no longer have my original tan Osborne 1, I do have the "User's Reference Guide" that was signed by Adam Osborne. The O1 was a great computer that helped to start my career with the aerospace industry. And just like Mac 512, Segway, iPhone and Model S/X, I was in line for the first available product.

Last edited: