Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive as part of taking delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it standard practice to do a test drive of your new Tesla as part of taking delivery? I mean doing a short (10 minute) drive of the actual vehicle you will be driving home before completing the paperwork and heading on your merry way. If it's not standard practice, is it something that others have requested and received?

In the past this has been a standard part of my delivery process (with other car makes) even in cases where I custom-ordered a car from the factory. I want to make sure that the specific vehicle is properly sorted out before I officially take possession of it, even though I know it's covered by a manufacturer warranty.

I just want to know if my DS will look at me like I have two heads when I make this request. ​

I didn't bother to ask at my delivery, and it seemed like I was short on time anyway, so I wasn't able to really inspect every surface, check every function and have them explain everything to me in depth. I suspect that they schedule these delivery appointments shorter now than they used to be so they can get more deliveries handled each day.

It was for me. It just seemed to be part of the process when I picked up the 85D.

Interestingly, when I got my S85 back in 2013, it didn't appear to be something they did. But it was absolutely part of the process for the 85D.

It had more to do with educating me on the features (even though, as a previous Model S owner, I knew most of it) than looking for things which were wrong, though. And so far, my 85D has been perfect.

No test drive for me on day of delivery, since I had already sold my car a few days before that, and needed a way to get to work, I wasn't going to decline delivery... so worst case I would have brought it back and asked for a loaner while they worked on my car.

I'm not sure what they would have said if I had asked.