Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive before accepting delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm the total opposite lol, I got to the delivery centre, they did the paperwork with me in the showroom, I gave them the bank draft, signed all the documents including the one saying I'm accepting delivery (there wasn't even the option of going to see the car first), THEN we went out to see my car. I'd never even been in a Tesla or seen a Model 3 in person when I bought it and my Model 3 was the first Tesla I'd ever been in. Luckily the car is perfect, not a single thing I can find wrong with it (other than Slacker being total garbage.) :)

So I'm the total opposite lol, I got to the delivery centre, they did the paperwork with me in the showroom, I gave them the bank draft, signed all the documents including the one saying I'm accepting delivery (there wasn't even the option of going to see the car first), THEN we went out to see my car. I'd never even been in a Tesla or seen a Model 3 in person when I bought it and my Model 3 was the first Tesla I'd ever been in. Luckily the car is perfect, not a single thing I can find wrong with it (other than Slacker being total garbage.) :)
I've sat in Model S, 3, and X in the showroom, and see them driving around all the time, but had never ridden in or driven one until I drove off the lot after having signed everything and given them my check. Didn't really bother me too much. I did the same thing in 2003 for a Nissan 350Z. I loved the look of the car online, got to sit in a couple at the dealer, then bought it on the spot. Driving it off the lot was my first "test drive".

I've sat in Model S, 3, and X in the showroom, and see them driving around all the time, but had never ridden in or driven one until I drove off the lot after having signed everything and given them my check. Didn't really bother me too much. I did the same thing in 2003 for a Nissan 350Z. I loved the look of the car online, got to sit in a couple at the dealer, then bought it on the spot. Driving it off the lot was my first "test drive".

Haha that's awesome. I hadn't even been in one or seen a Model 3 in person until I saw the one in the showroom when picking mine up. My partner sat in it but I refused, wanted to hold off for my own lol. My dad thought I was a lunatic, he's like you bought a car off the internet, from a new car brand, that you've never seen or been in? He's like you're 6'1 what if you sit in it and your head hits the ceiling!?

I was like trust me, I just have a good feeling about this one lol.

Reactions: drawfour
Mike, the confusion people are having is does it apply to all purchases or just home deliveries? I have not seen a clear answer from Tesla, and not everyone has received this email.
I’m not having home delivery and I received the email. To my knowledge there’s no wording in the email that states any restrictions other than you can return for full refund if unsatisfied after 2 days.

• Informative
Reactions: beachbum77
I am in agreement that you should be able to test drive your ordered car before taking delivery if you want, however, one would hope a brand new car has been road tested for those first 3-4 miles that are on the odometer. Furthermore, let's say you test drive it for a couple miles and then come back complete the paperwork. Then on your 40 mile ride home you hear a rattle, or the AC is not blowing as cold as it should, etc. The point is unless the car is dead on arrival you will probably not find much in a 2 mile test drive around the service center. This is why the the car comes with a warranty.