Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive before accepting delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tvisdog

Supporting Member
Jul 12, 2018
Denver, CO
Has anyone requested to test drive their car before taking delivery? If so, was it an issue?

It seems like most people report signing papers and then driving their car. I've never bought a car without test driving it first and can't imagine signing and handing them a check based only on a visual inspection.

Reactions: beachbum77
That doesn’t exists with Tesla.

It’s the same thing like buying something off amazon without trying it first. You just buy it.

The warranty is great. So if you discover any nuances you can simply schedule an appointment at the service center.

Think this is normal for most new vehicles. Usually you can drive a new car if it is on the lot, but if it is something you ordered you normally need to pay and sign documents before driving it off the lot.

Same with Tesla. Normal proceedure is to pay and sign before getting the keys.

It’s the same thing like buying something off amazon without trying it first. You just buy it.

The warranty is great. So if you discover any nuances you can simply schedule an appointment at the service center.

I can return things I buy on Amazon for a full refund. It’s not the same thing.

Except things on Amazon don't cost $50,000+ and you can easily return items to Amazon for a full refund. Also you can easily get your sales tax refunded. Once your car tax is sent to the state, good luck getting it back. So insist on a test drive in YOUR car. Tesla needs to learn how to deal with mass-market buyers, versus gung-ho "oh please sell me a car" fan boys. Their "wake-up" call is coming.

No they haven't. Elon Musk said that in a tweet to one individual person. The agreement you sign when you accept the car says otherwise.

Actually it was not from Elon, it was in an email that they sent out:

Tesla Refund.png

Tesla needs to learn how to deal with mass-market buyers, versus gung-ho "oh please sell me a car" fan boys. Their "wake-up" call is coming.

Not just mass-market buyers but also buyers in the premium car segment. At least based on my experience Tesla's delivery experience is completely and utterly trash compared to their competitors (let's face it they are competing with the BBA boys). This is what you get from the European competitors (I did the European factory delivery with a C63 AMG--comparable price to the higher trim model 3). Completely night and day from the experience I had in Cleveland yesterday ("your $60000 model 3 is mass produced. Live with it.")

Oh yeah, with MB you DO get to test drive it--for 15 days in Europe! They even pay for the gas and all the insurance. Then if you are satisfied they load the car up in a port that you choose and pay to ship it back to your dealer back home.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Not just mass-market buyers but also buyers in the premium car segment. At least based on my experience Tesla's delivery experience is completely and utterly trash compared to their competitors (let's face it they are competing with the BBA boys). This is what you get from the European competitors (I did the European factory delivery with a C63 AMG--comparable price to the higher trim model 3). Completely night and day from the experience I had in Cleveland yesterday.
In my almost 30 years in the car business, I have never seen things like what is being reported on these delivery threads.

The Harvard Business Review is full of researched examples of explosive growth shown to have demolished companies. Hopefully, Tesla will not be the latest victim of its own success.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Actually it was not from Elon, it was in an email that they sent out:

View attachment 334993
I can confirm I received the exact same email from Tesla. Looks like it was sent out Sept 12, 2018 at ~12:04 am. I also had not heard of the policy: "We are highly confident that you will feel great about your purchase, which is why you can always return it within two days for a full refund." until that day.

Email subject line was: "Updates: Paint Options and Free Supercharging".

Not just mass-market buyers but also buyers in the premium car segment. At least based on my experience Tesla's delivery experience is completely and utterly trash compared to their competitors (let's face it they are competing with the BBA boys). This is what you get from the European competitors (I did the European factory delivery with a C63 AMG--comparable price to the higher trim model 3). Completely night and day from the experience I had in Cleveland yesterday ("your $60000 model 3 is mass produced. Live with it.")

Oh yeah, with MB you DO get to test drive it--for 15 days in Europe! They even pay for the gas and all the insurance. Then if you are satisfied they load the car up in a port that you choose and pay to ship it back to your dealer back home.
And, for comparison, there's BMW European Delivery - BMW USA. I've never owned nor leased a BMW but I've seen documentaries about BMW which included a brief look at the European delivery experience. And, I've been inside BMW Welt in Munich, seen the vehicles lined up inside for delivery and taken the factory tour across the street.