Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive completed...not sure...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please note I have read the OP only.

right, let’s begin...
6) More of a user error for this one, the regeneration. I guess you get used to this, and to be fair I started to improve at the end of the drive.
You get used to this very quickly and this will become a huge benefit. Don’t be tempted to get used to lower regen.

2) The interior
The interior is minimalistic, you either love it or hate it, I’m dreading having to go back to so many buttons.

2) The glass roof. Really liked this
Make sure you keep it clean!!
4) I couldn’t really get a true sense of the performance as they gave me an M3P service vehicle locked in chill mode. I know it will be fine though.
This is the one comment that stood out to me and almost certainly the culprit for leaving underwhelmed. I don’t know if anyone has stats on it, but a P in chill mode I though was slower than the SR+, even though the sales guy suggested it would be about the same performance as LR. I’d suggest getting booked in again in the LR, or unlocked P.

5) The handling
Seat supports aren’t great for what is practically a performance car, but otherwise I’ve been pretty impressed (car history non existent mind you, I do throw the M3LR around a bit though.

Thanks for that run down @darkNstormy thats really good news about the stereo. I must admit I didn’t try it out too much on the test drive but as my last two cars had really good burmeister systems it was a concern. I guess I can crank it up loud!

Also, that negates the road noise issue \,,/

I got into the EV thing as soon as I heard about the scrapping of BIK for EVs this year. What started out as a pipedream became a reality very quickly with only a small amount of research, and some help from a mate who already had a Model 3 after leasing a Model S for 3 years.

I was also used to good build quality cars - Audi A6 4.2, Toyota Kluger and LandCruiser (when in Aus), Lexus RX450h (getting towards greener credentials slowly!). These cars were also pretty well fitted out with all the techie options you could get. Lexus had everything you can possibly get. Auto everything. Also had a Merc CLK but wouldn't put this in the fab build quality category, it was actually a bit underwhelming but it served a purpose at the time.

There are things I miss about those cars but I can live without them. I do over 2,000 miles a month and with a salary sacrifice lease (even at high mileage) the amount I save in petrol almost pays the monthly lease. The Lexus was out of warranty and faced with massive bills for some things that were on the verge of failing, I got rid. Build quality was typical Lexus and everything was soft closing and gadgets galore but as others have mentioned this is PR / gimmick more than anything. Going EV was a no-brainer.

I've watched the Youtube videos of Tesla crash testing and it's impressive.

I test drove an e-tron but the range was not adequate for my travelling needs and the Tesla easily won out with the Supercharger network. Can't underestimate the weighting you need to add for this for a long distance driver. I have had no range anxiety whatsoever since I got my M3. The e-tron won on the useful day to day technology stakes - their autopilot is actually pretty good although will not evolve for the lifetime of the car I expect, and the 360 cameras were bloody useful, especially for getting out of parking spaces or blind junctions, where you can put the front bumper cameras on to see what is coming left and right. If I just wanted a premium car that wasn't going to do long journeys with green credentials and not being sensible about money then I would have gone with that.

I have had no qualms with the build quality and the M3 LR is a delight to drive every day. It is great for overtaking. It puts a smile on my face. The sound system is even better than the Mark Levinson system in the Lexus (but that's always a subjective thing). It's remarkably roomy and you can actually fit a decent amount of luggage in the frunk and/or the 'cellar' in the trunk. I have absolutely no regrets about getting one. I have been able to live with the odd little niggling frustration that crops up from time to time. It's fine as a family car, which was a concern going from the massive storage in the Lexus RX!

I don't think a test drive can do justice to the actual ownership day-to-day. It's actually a pretty sensible car with what seems to most people to be a hefty price tag, but at the moment there's a sweet spot for business lease that makes it more affordable than most ICE cars in those circumstances once you factor in BIK.

Thanks for the response, a lot of what you mention resonates. The Supercharger network is a huge benefit for me...or will be once I start travelling again. Good to hear of first hand experience of someone doing 20k plus miles a year. I rarely listen to music or the radio, but my other half does, and appreciates a good sound system, so good to hear (pun intended) it’s up to scratch :)

On the sound system, I came from a Lexus IS200 with a cracking Mark Levinson system that’s was really ‘lively’ I.e. it sounded exciting. The premium system in the M3P is on a par with this. The connectivity is much better though. It lacks a usb input to hard connect my iPhone but that’s about all. I’m a heavy user of internet radio via TuneIn which it does very nicely, I also have a usb stick plugged in with 20,000+ tracks on it, many of which are FLAC format. I don’t miss ApplePlay partly because I’ve never had it and also because the Tesla interface is easy to use.

The phone integration however could be better. Two screen touches to bring up your contacts is not good, it needs to be one. My other half’s Golf does this much better.

• Informative
Reactions: Neilio
...phone integration however could be better. Two screen touches to bring up your contacts is not good, it needs to be one...
If you mean to make a call, we just press the RH scroll wheel & say "call xxx" - seems to work every time. No need to look up contacts.

I also ask the car to read out text messages, dictate a reply & send while driving, all hands free.

This is the one comment that stood out to me and almost certainly the culprit for leaving underwhelmed. I don’t know if anyone has stats on it, but a P in chill mode I though was slower than the SR+, even though the sales guy suggested it would be about the same performance as LR. I’d suggest getting booked in again in the LR, or unlocked P.
I believe chill mode is same in all versions. 0-60 in about 7.5 seconds. Agree about needing to try full fat!

I also have a usb stick plugged in with 20,000+ tracks on it, many of which are FLAC format. I don’t miss ApplePlay partly because I’ve never had it and also because the Tesla interface is easy to use.

I don't have any FLACs - I historically encoded everything to 320k mp3 for various compatibility reasons with different hardware I've owned. Everything sounds pretty rich whatever the genre. Have taken to listening to the soundtrack to 'Succession' more often than I should.

• Funny
Reactions: rincewind and pevz
Like others have said, might be worth looking at a Model S or X, there is a difference in the build quality and Elon/Tesla have never hidden the fact the the 3 was built to a price to be affordable. I think comparing the 3 to your previous car history is unfair, comparing to an S or an X would be fairer and be more of what you would be expecting.
I would love a 3 and had one on order but have never regretted buying my Model S instead. Each to their own, I know. It's like there is a scale from Arial Atom to Rolls Royce. The 3 sits closer to the Arial Atom and the S closer to the Rolls Royce. Both win in the technology stakes which is why they still have a higher purchase price than ICE equivalent.

Just my 2p worth

Hi All

A little update.

I read all the feedback and thought what a load of nonsense you all talk...just kidding ;)

I applied for a business lease on Thursday, I think there is an epic backlog they need to go through though for approval, so may take some time to see if my business is approved. Finger crossed.

They did say “We have had a heads up that Tesla are having a price review and the funders will then alter the Residual values which means that rates will increase, if you wish to do something I would sooner rather than later.”. Possibly nonsense, but I was happy to proceed anyway.

I decided that if I were to go down the EV route for the first time the 3 is the closest match to my requirements. It’s not perfect, but it’s the closest yet for me first venture.

Looking forward to joining the fold.

Thanks to everyone for their input/persuasiveness :)

Thanks everyone. I think you’re right about it being a bit of beaten up example. From what I’ve read they keep improving the build every month, which is good to know. I really like the looks, tech and ownership proposition. The imagine a large chunk of the £50k is in the battery/motor department and it’s an unfair comparison to make with ‘normal’ cars. I guess there’s a bit of compromise between weight and quality too. I noticed that the Polestar is circa 300kg heavier.

I’ll book another test drive in I think when it’s not Friday afternoon and the other half can drive :)

I agree with other posts here: The fit-and-finish of your test drive does sound worse than normal; take another look. That said, this car will NOT come up to the Audi-marque line, you are really getting a more pedestrian car with a stunning drivetrain. As for regen and "one pedal" driving, trust me you will get to LOVE this once you get used to it. Finally, if you drove the car locked into Chill mode then you really haven't experienced the WOW effect yet .. make sure you test-drive a car in Sport mode. Really.

You tested the Model 3 and found it flimsy. Of course it's Tesla's entry level vehicle. But every model 3 owner will tell you differently.

Coming from an AMG Mercedes to a Tesla model 3 isn't exactly the best scenario. The vehicle you had was 2 times the price than a LR. Not saying the AMG is better by any means but the interiors on ths AMGs are much more classy. Tesla can not compete with the elegance of an AMG. But overall I would take the model 3 over an AMG. But if you want something not as flimsy look at a model S. But just be prepared for an interior designed almost 10 yrs ago.

You tested the Model 3 and found it flimsy. Of course it's Tesla's entry level vehicle. But every model 3 owner will tell you differently.

Coming from an AMG Mercedes to a Tesla model 3 isn't exactly the best scenario. The vehicle you had was 2 times the price than a LR. Not saying the AMG is better by any means but the interiors on ths AMGs are much more classy. Tesla can not compete with the elegance of an AMG. But overall I would take the model 3 over an AMG. But if you want something not as flimsy look at a model S. But just be prepared for an interior designed almost 10 yrs ago.

bit late to the party I think the OT has ordered