Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drive for Wife - Model S Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This question is in regards to an upcoming Model 3 purchase, but would likely require knowledge of a current Model S owner or just zealous Telsa fans.

I initially passed on putting in a reservation in for a Model 3 at reveal due to my assumption that my wife wouldn't even entertain the idea. Well when I brought it up the next day she said she was interested. Deposit put down within minutes - ~210K in queue.

Got an email from Tesla about possibly getting a Model S and setting up a test drive in Pittsburgh. Again, didn't think my wife would want to drive hours for a test drive. Wrong again. She wants to drive one to see if she wants the Model 3.

And finally my question, in order to convince/persuade her to option out the Model 3 and get Autopilot I'd like to have her test drive a Model S when it's outfitted with the newer Autopilot hardware refresh coming eventually. If we go to the showroom for a test drive say in early spring are the chances high that the Model S we test drive would have the new hardware? Do the test drive cars hang around for a long time or do they sell them fairly often?

Should I try to get her to test drive one before the winter weather comes just to get her in a Tesla, or should I wait until the more impressive Autopilot hardware is available?

I test drove a month ago and it was the pre-refresh model..
I would say that you can make another test-driver when "all is ok" in 1 years or when they are ready, but you can just test 'all the rest' now, maybe you'll get another service center near you in 1 year .. no?
Just remember that a test drive would make the waiting a real bad thing :D

The best advice I can give is what was given to me:

1. Only test drive if you are prepared to purchase because once you drive it that's what you will do.
2. The best time to buy a Tesla is now. If you wait for the next update you will always be waiting.

As far as new hardware, people speculate it being released all the time, every day probably has a bet on being "the day". Whenever it releases there will be one person who luckily "had it right".

The next autopilot version/update/hardware is rumored to enable off ramp exits and read stop signs (to name 2). I don't think those features are worth waiting for when the update after that will add even more features.

If your wife is like me, it won't matter. :)

If she's never driven electric, she will be blown away regardless of the current AP hardware. I would say, go on a drive now, then go again next spring (which, by then, the new AP hardware will be out. I think LOL)

Test drives are free - and it's totally normal (and expected) that you will go on more than one as you make your decision. Let us know how it goes!

Recommend you test drive at the most convenient time. The existing system is fantastic and will give a great introduction to capabilities.

It's unknown when new changes will be released/trickled down into the showrooms. Plus, at the rate Tesla makes product changes, equipment in Model III may be entirely different than what is present in Model S now or in the near future.

I'd be interested in finding out if that were true, if so that'd be about 75,000 M3 reservations that got cancelled for a MS. If true, hopefuly they were all people that were ahead of me in line :cool:

^I like the way you think. That might help with the possibility of getting any portion of that sweet, sweet tax credit in 2018-19, but probably not. :)

I'd rather have a high optioned Model 3 vs a base-optioned Model S but a combined 10K in tax credits ($7,500 Fed + $2,500 PA incentive) sure would be nice.

Sounds like I should see about making a weekend trip to Pittsburg in the next couple weeks.

I'd be interested in finding out if that were true, if so that'd be about 75,000 M3 reservations that got cancelled for a MS. If true, hopefuly they were all people that were ahead of me in line :cool:
That is right - but only if all who have reservation has taken - or will take - a test ride in a Model S :)
I'm one who do not take the chance of me being an 20% ;)

^I like the way you think. That might help with the possibility of getting any portion of that sweet, sweet tax credit in 2018-19, but probably not. :)

I'd rather have a high optioned Model 3 vs a base-optioned Model S but a combined 10K in tax credits ($7,500 Fed + $2,500 PA incentive) sure would be nice.

Sounds like I should see about making a weekend trip to Pittsburg in the next couple weeks.
Yeah, now is the time to go, but expect to have 2 offers: buy the car you test drove, or order with next hardware set.

You might end up with an X.

That is right - but only if all who have reservation has taken - or will take - a test ride in a Model S :)
I'm one who do not take the chance of me being an 20% ;)
I'll chance it. I've never driven an EV so I want the opportunity to dirve one and also so my wife can see what it will be like. Unless there is terrific deal on a CPO MS at the time we test drive I think they'll all be out of my range and those that aren't I don't think will compare to a brand spanking new M3 with some options! :D