Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive - LR Vs Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the MYP is great! But the cost difference when compared to a MYLR+AB is still $5k more! It’s a tough pill to swallow. The 21’ wheels are not rotatable either due to the staggered setup. Tesla’s rip through tires. If you are a lead foot this will be an expensive car for you. You’ll need a new set of tires every 15k-20k miles! To make it even harder, there aren’t that many choices for MYP tires and they are very expensive!

Just go with an LR+AB and enjoy the softer ride. It’s still a very fast, capable car!
It would be cool if Tesla included a carbon fiber dash insert, and door parts - not just a CF spoiler. Also the “performance” brakes are not that much better. They have slightly thicker rotors. That’s it. Same Brembo brakes as the LR - just painted red and inscribed for the P. It’s silly. It’s should stand out more than just a red line under the badge.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceShipDrvr
IF i had bought the P, I would immediately sell the rims and tires and replace with the rims i have now(hopefully a wash on price). Then i would drop in a MPP or redwood coilover kit.
That was my original plan if I went that route. The more I looked at it, the more I realized likely I would lose money to get rid of the Ubers and put on something I liked. I based this on what I saw the Uber take-offs going for in the marketplace here. People often sat on them for a while and kept dropping the price every few weeks until they sold.

Then I'd end up dropping another $3-4k in suspension and pretty soon I have way more in the car than it would be worth to me and if I ever sold it, I wouldn't get much of the money back, if any. If I didn't do the suspension work, my wife would likely never ride in the car. Maybe I should have gone that route. ;) That wouldn't have worked as we got it ultimately to be her car.

I forget what car magazine it was, but their comment was if they had to choose one, they would choose the LR over the P. Their rationale was the vast majority of people would be more than happy with the acceleration of the LR. At the time I thought they were smoking crack. Why not buy the P?

In retrospect, they were almost right. I think with AB, about 99% of the people would be happy with the acceleration of the car. You can't look at just the 0-60 times and compare them to other cars. What is sort of hidden in the 4.8 sec 0-60 sprint (which is pretty good on its own), is that performance is available at any second.

None of this waiting for boost, dropping a few gears, getting the revs up, etc. Mash the throttle at any speed and it puts you smack dab in the great part of your acceleration curve with no muss or fuss. I think they should introduce some new test measurements when testing cars.

I would like to see them time from 30-70 mph, while rolling at a steady speed, from the moment they just floor the accelerator until they hit whatever target speed they want. There are cars that would be quicker 0-60, or in the 1/4 than the MY LR, but in this test, it would just crush a lot of cars. They might be in 4th or 5th gear. By the time they downshift and get revs or boost up, the MY LR would be long gone even if that faster car could run it down later.

This aspect is what I appreciate the most every day. Not how quick it is off the line, but how quick it is ANYTIME I mash the throttle. This is what I use the most every day. It allows me to shoot in/across gaps, makes merging easier, and general driving a lot more fun. In this scenario, the AB is pretty much the equal of the P. It is as if the P has little booster rockets (sort of like JATO) that assist you at launch but sputter out pretty quickly. That extra launch capability really takes its toll on the tire life too.

I honestly had my reservations about switching from the P to the LR and gambling on the AB to get me where I wanted. There was this part of me that was saying you making a colossal mistake but at least sales are strong for the MY and you can probably get out without too much financial impact if it was a bad decision. After several months and several thousand miles, lots of different situations, it clearly was the right choice for me. It turned out even better than I thought it would.

That was my original plan if I went that route. The more I looked at it, the more I realized likely I would lose money to get rid of the Ubers and put on something I liked. I based this on what I saw the Uber take-offs going for in the marketplace here. People often sat on them for a while and kept dropping the price every few weeks until they sold.

Then I'd end up dropping another $3-4k in suspension and pretty soon I have way more in the car than it would be worth to me and if I ever sold it, I wouldn't get much of the money back, if any. If I didn't do the suspension work, my wife would likely never ride in the car. Maybe I should have gone that route. ;) That wouldn't have worked as we got it ultimately to be her car.

I forget what car magazine it was, but their comment was if they had to choose one, they would choose the LR over the P. Their rationale was the vast majority of people would be more than happy with the acceleration of the LR. At the time I thought they were smoking crack. Why not buy the P?

In retrospect, they were almost right. I think with AB, about 99% of the people would be happy with the acceleration of the car. You can't look at just the 0-60 times and compare them to other cars. What is sort of hidden in the 4.8 sec 0-60 sprint (which is pretty good on its own), is that performance is available at any second.

None of this waiting for boost, dropping a few gears, getting the revs up, etc. Mash the throttle at any speed and it puts you smack dab in the great part of your acceleration curve with no muss or fuss. I think they should introduce some new test measurements when testing cars.

I would like to see them time from 30-70 mph, while rolling at a steady speed, from the moment they just floor the accelerator until they hit whatever target speed they want. There are cars that would be quicker 0-60, or in the 1/4 than the MY LR, but in this test, it would just crush a lot of cars. They might be in 4th or 5th gear. By the time they downshift and get revs or boost up, the MY LR would be long gone even if that faster car could run it down later. I

This aspect is what I appreciate the most every day. Not how quick it is off the line, but how quick it is ANYTIME I mash the throttle. This is what I use the most every day. It allows me to shoot in/across gaps, makes merging easier, and general driving a lot more fun. In this scenario, the AB is pretty much the equal of the P. It is as if the P has little booster rockets (sort of like JATO) that assist you at launch but sputter out pretty quickly. That extra launch capability really takes its toll on the tire life too.

I honestly had my reservations about switching from the P to the LR and gambling on the AB to get me where I wanted. There was this part of me that was saying you making a colossal mistake but at least sales are strong for the MY and you can probably get out without too much financial impact if it was a bad decision. After several months and several thousand miles, lots of different situations, it clearly was the right choice for me. It turned out even better than I thought it would.
I agree with this. I test drove the MYP and MY LR back to back today and while the MYP is definitely faster (especially from a start), I don't think it's worth the price and the hassle of replacing the wheels/tires (I'm in Chicago). I've always been a fast car person (owned a z06 vette, a WRX, a BMW M car, etc.) and I never thought I would say I think the LR + AB option is probably the better value and is sufficient for most people (even those with a need for speed). I really wanted to love the MYP but don't think it's worth the extra cash.

I would like to see them time from 30-70 mph, while rolling at a steady speed, from the moment they just floor the accelerator until they hit whatever target speed they want. There are cars that would be quicker 0-60, or in the 1/4 than the MY LR, but in this test, it would just crush a lot of cars. They might be in 4th or 5th gear. By the time they downshift and get revs or boost up, the MY LR would be long gone even if that faster car could run it down later.

60k honestly was out of my range, especially knowing i would have had to spend like 8-9k with suspension and wheels/tires to get how i wanted. Honestly if i was pushing that 70k envelope i would have preorded a Refreshed Model S before the price hikes as they were around 70kish i think.

I noticed the same thing. The uberturbines look nice, but too many people sell them for them to go for the cost of a replacement set of wheels.

I'd have been much more like to go for the performance version if it had the induction wheel as an option.

60k honestly was out of my range, especially knowing i would have had to spend like 8-9k with suspension and wheels/tires to get how i wanted. Honestly if i was pushing that 70k envelope i would have preorded a Refreshed Model S before the price hikes as they were around 70kish i think.
The refreshed S is what ended up backing into. I wanted the Plaid S. But the S still can't tow legally or without warranty implications in the US. So wife asked what Teslas can tow. The X and Y of course. I have never really liked the X and its Falcon wing doors. They are just something waiting for expensive repairs.

As I read about the refreshed S, it seemed like the base performance of it was going to be not far off the previous performance version. That car was plenty quick enough for our use. So we decided go with a refreshed S LR and MY. Basically a twofer. I figured the cost of the MYP and refreshed S LR would be pretty close to the Plaid S so no issues with our chief financial officer (my wife).

I thought the MYP would be the way to go. The more we drove it, the less my wife liked it. Also thought about going with the M3P instead of an S but my wife wasn't a real fan of it. It rode better than the MYP, but neither was what she was looking for. By the time I factored in all the changes I'd need to the MYP, it didn't seem like a good option for us at all.

So we changed our order from the MYP to the MYLR. What a great decision it has turned out to be. My wife NEVER complains about the ride quality. She does complain about the acceleration capability if I get on it a bit too much. In all honesty, the cars are so quick, that being a passenger in them can really suck. You have no idea when the driver is going to accelerate hard. Not everyone likes supercar level acceleration.

In hindsight, it all turned out the best possible way for us. We got in before big price increases on both. I haven't had a lot of cars that are an appreciating asset but in the short term, these both should be pretty good. For sure on the S but who knows what will happen when the MIT MY 2.0 models come out.

I noticed the same thing. The uberturbines look nice, but too many people sell them for them to go for the cost of a replacement set of wheels.

I'd have been much more like to go for the performance version if it had the induction wheel as an option.

Buying the performance variant of any Tesla is definitely driven by emotions and not logic. But at the end of the day, I haven't seen a MYP owner say they regretted their purchase and got the LR version instead. Nice we have options though.

I too am glad we have options. If there hadn't been AB as an option, I would have bought the P.

I don't think anyone would admit even if they bought the P and realized it was a mistake or more than they needed. Human ego would get in the way.

OTOH, I used to sell vehicles in college and worked in the service department too. There were definitely times when people bought something that was feeding their ego more than their skill could handle. I saw bikes and cars come back and get traded in for the tamer version of the same vehicle.

At this point I am really curious to see what changes they make for MY 2.0. If they come out with an improved Performance version that INCLUDES the track pack, or something like it, I would definitely be interested. Please bring back the normal wheels too. Heck, just bring back a stealth version like before.

Reactions: jsight
I would have loved the MYP, except... I didn't care about the spoiler, didn't want lowered suspension (too many speed bumps in the area), and wanted the Inductions. When I ordered in early 2020, the Performance option allowed selection of either stealth (19" wheels, everything looking like MYLR), or all performance features (higher top speed, alloy pedals, spoiler, uberturbines, red performance brakes, lowered suspension).

Given that I couldn't equip my car as Performance with Inductions+brakes, I went with MYLR and will eventually upgrade with AB.

Some early purchasers might recall: It was also a tough choice back then, given that the performance package (pedals, spoiler, 21", brakes, suspension, speed) was a no-cost option. Almost made no sense to order a stealth MYP, given all the things you would be giving up...

Reactions: jsight
Buying the performance variant of any Tesla is definitely driven by emotions and not logic. But at the end of the day, I haven't seen a MYP owner say they regretted their purchase and got the LR version instead. Nice we have options though.
This. Get the one you want. I talked the wife into the Performance and she wouldn't change a thing. I'll never understand why some posters keep putting down one vs the other even goping so far as to do it in every thread they can.

I would have loved the MYP, except... I didn't care about the spoiler, didn't want lowered suspension (too many speed bumps in the area), and wanted the Inductions. When I ordered in early 2020, the Performance option allowed selection of either stealth (19" wheels, everything looking like MYLR), or all performance features (higher top speed, alloy pedals, spoiler, uberturbines, red performance brakes, lowered suspension).

Given that I couldn't equip my car as Performance with Inductions+brakes, I went with MYLR and will eventually upgrade with AB.

Some early purchasers might recall: It was also a tough choice back then, given that the performance package (pedals, spoiler, 21", brakes, suspension, speed) was a no-cost option. Almost made no sense to order a stealth MYP, given all the things you would be giving up...
You would think they could offer it again. It didn't save any money by buying the stealth back then. Given how profit hungry Tesla is, they could offer it now and make even more $$$. They might even sell more MYPs in general.

For me, the stealth was a real sleeper. I have always liked that concept with cars and motorcycles. Maybe because I grew up doing a lot of street racing. The last thing I wanted to do was advertise my vehicle's capabilities. The stealth version played into that nicely for me. I would have gone with the stealth and left the trailer hitch on. Sort of like the EV equivalent of Farm Truck.

Reactions: Y_tho
Would've been nice if you could at least swap out the wheels... A lot of other cars, have wheel options on every trim level.. If there was an option for taking inductions over the uberturbines on the P, I would've gotten that in a heartbeat. I already have 12 tires and 8 wheels in my garage, so I wasn't interested in getting the uberturbines, just to swap them out... And the only reason I already have 8 wheels, is that I found it's pretty hard to sell OEM wheels, even if they are "upgraded", because the market is saturated with them.

You would think they could offer it again. It didn't save any money by buying the stealth back then. Given how profit hungry Tesla is, they could offer it now and make even more $$$. They might even sell more MYPs in general.

For me, the stealth was a real sleeper. I have always liked that concept with cars and motorcycles. Maybe because I grew up doing a lot of street racing. The last thing I wanted to do was advertise my vehicle's capabilities. The stealth version played into that nicely for me. I would have gone with the stealth and left the trailer hitch on. Sort of like the EV equivalent of Farm Truck.
I asked about the stealth performance when I bought my Y LR dual motor. I didn't want the spoiler, the performance wheels and tires, or the lowered suspension. I had the performance package on my BMW and the potholes around here destroyed four tires and cracked a wheel. They said they didn't do the stealth any more, and that if they did it would be the full performance price because most of the cost to Tesla is the different motor and different fusing to allow the motor to pull more current from the battery.

Reactions: DayTrippin
I asked about the stealth performance when I bought my Y LR dual motor. I didn't want the spoiler, the performance wheels and tires, or the lowered suspension. I had the performance package on my BMW and the potholes around here destroyed four tires and cracked a wheel. They said they didn't do the stealth any more, and that if they did it would be the full performance price because most of the cost to Tesla is the different motor and different fusing to allow the motor to pull more current from the battery.
If it came with the inductions and nothing else, I would be fine with paying the same price. It actually costs me more in time/money to swap out the uber turbines. The main turn off on the MYP to me is the wheels.

the MYP is great! But the cost difference when compared to a MYLR+AB is still $5k more! It’s a tough pill to swallow. The 21’ wheels are not rotatable either due to the staggered setup. Tesla’s rip through tires. If you are a lead foot this will be an expensive car for you. You’ll need a new set of tires every 15k-20k miles! To make it even harder, there aren’t that many choices for MYP tires and they are very expensive!

Just go with an LR+AB and enjoy the softer ride. It’s still a very fast, capable car!
It would be cool if Tesla included a carbon fiber dash insert, and door parts - not just a CF spoiler. Also the “performance” brakes are not that much better. They have slightly thicker rotors. That’s it. Same Brembo brakes as the LR - just painted red and inscribed for the P. It’s silly. It’s should stand out more than just a red line under the badge.
THIS

I am a new M3SR+ owner and wife liked it so much but wanted to sit higher, so we test drove a MYLR and MYP back to back at the Plano, TX Tesla showroom.
MYP was harsher & firmer, and slightly noisier. That said, the acceleration was noticeable, and the MYP handling/cornering was improved. However, as this would be a daily driver for my wife, the price difference ($5k compared to a MYLR + Induction rims) and cost of ownership (tire costs) ruled out the MYP. The EDD shows "January" for this moment, so hoping that is super conservative =)

Reactions: ScoobyDoo82
Driving around Atlanta I rarely see Model 3 or Model Y Performance versions. I have the Model Y Performance with a recent upgrade on the suspension (Mountain Pass). Really love the car and set up. I have it on "Chill" mode 80% of my driving (mostly city, bumper-bumper). When you put it in Performance mode, it really changes the characteristics of the car. It's like having two cars in one.

Reactions: ucsdsig