Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drive opportunity before completing order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i bought my 2011 mazda miata without a test drive. wife did the same with her honda fit ev. then again i got into a fiat 500e without a test drive.

the model s however... i think i did a total of 5 different test drives? the model 3 will most likely require a test drive before any money is spent, but its going to be the wife car so who knows.

Hi,

We puchased our 2012 plug in prius without a test drive, but we had owned a 2002, 2005, and 2007 prius before the purchase.

For the model X, we did a test drive, but the most important part was actually testing the seven seat configuration with the kids and car seats vs the drive part.

We did the test drive in October, paid our deposit and confirmed in December, and picked it up the end of March.

We still have a model 3 reservation, and depending on cost, finances, and when delivery would happen, I could see confirming without a test drive. We really would need delivery in 2018 and not 2017, as we can't absorb two tax credits in one year.

That being said, I don't know if we qualify for current owner priority, as we were not owners when we placed the reservation, but we are owners now.

Harry
Apparently we will get owner priority.

Tesla isn't known for building cars that appeal to everyone, so I wouldn't buy one without a test drive. Why end up with regrets when I could take a test drive and decide which model or options I really want to live with for the long term?

I have a service loaner in the garage right now and there are several option choices on the car that would make it a miserable daily driver, but I wouldn't know what I was getting into if I based it on how much I like my own car / options.

I got a call at the beginning of July (Boston area, Natick Store) to check if I wanted to move into an S. When I stood firm on my desire for a 3, I asked about test drives.

I was told, "nothing official, but expect at least one to be available to us in September or October".

This was before the handover event, when I found out the following day that "first production" cars would be available in my area Oct-Dec for current owners/employees and Nov-Jan for non-owners/non-employees.

Not saying anything official came out of that convo, just saying that 2 independent pieces of info seem to line up.