Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive or not?

Did you test drive a Model 3 before ordering/delivery?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We put a deposit down sight unseen (prior to the big reveal). We got an opportunity to ride in a friend's LR RWD before ordering and also a performance version after ordering but prior to delivery. Very pleased with our LR AWD + acceleration boost.

If you haven't driven a Tesla yet, be aware that driving one isn't just a slippery slope, it's like jumping off a cliff. You'll be obsessed with it, think about it night and day, watch every video on the internet, etc. If you don't test drive one prior to taking delivery, you'll be blown away by the car when you finally get it.

I should mention that we rented several Teslas on Turo for road trips prior to taking delivery. We wanted to make sure it was the right choice for us, plus I had been completely ruined by my first test drive and loathed the idea of taking an ICE car on a road trips.

Last edited:
Always go for a test drive before you buy a car. It doesn't matter if it's a Tesla or not

I agree with this. The only "but" on this issue was when tesla had a no questions asked 7 day return policy. THEN you could buy the car and if you didnt like it, you were not stuck with it. Since that is gone (at least to my knowledge), no matter HOW wonderful someone thinks a car is on paper, you need to drive it first.

Maybe the seats are not comfortable for you. Maybe the materials used inside the cabin make you sick (I have heard of this more than once with some people and materials, not just tesla).

Maybe you dont like the low seating position. Maybe you dont like how the visibility out of the back window is. I cant think of a single purchase that cost this much money, that is not returnable, that should be bought without looking at it. Yes, I know sometimes people buy homes with only looking at pictures too, and I think thats just as silly.

Reactions: sonrantos
Thanks guys! I already ordered and just waiting for delivery.

Although I know it wouldn't change my mind about buying the car or not, I guess I can call my SA and ask to schedule a test drive. All the 3 previous cars I've owned I bought without ever test driving them. lol. It's more because I know that the was the vehicle I wanted no matter what.

I bought my M3P completely blind. I’ve never driven a Tesla before. And boy my jaw was on the floor when I picked it up in March. The best car I’ve ever had. I feel like I was transported into the future. Every time I take my friends and family for a test drive, their grin and reaction is always a validation of my decision.

• Love
Reactions: Big Earl
I actually did 5 test drives on 3 separate visits.
  1. Test drove a Model Y because that's what I thought I wanted.
  2. Test drove a Model 3 Performance while waiting for the MY LR to return from another test drive, then the Model Y.
  3. Test drove a Model 3 LR then a Model Y.
Finally decided I liked the Model 3 better than the Model Y which I wouldn't have guessed going in. Ordered a Model 3 LR last Monday. Then last Friday called and changed the order to a Model 3 Performance because I just couldn't help myself and didn't want to be have that lingering feeling that I'd settled.

I'll give a shout out to the guys at the El Paso Gallery since they took this all in stride and even though my test drives stretched out to 40-45 minutes.

If you haven't driven a Tesla yet, be aware that driving one isn't just a slippery slope, it's like jumping off a cliff. You'll be obsessed with it, think about it night and day, watch every video on the internet, etc. If you don't test drive one prior to taking delivery, you'll be blown away by the car when you finally get it.

Truer words have never been spoken. This describes my journey down the rabbit hole almost exactly as it unfolded.

I did not test drive a Tesla before I ordered. This will be my 3rd EV so I am familiar with them. I am used to one pedal driving and the instant torque, so I figure it will be just like all the other EVs I have driven... except for the giant screen, which I am sure I will quickly get acclimated to. I did, however, ride in a friend's Model 3 LR.

My Tesla model 3 purchase story.....

In 2018, I knew the model 3 was released, but had heard about long wait lists etc. I took a week off work for the thanksgiving holiday in 2018, and was hesitant to order another BMW 4 series grand coupe, since I just had one for 3 years, didnt like the M4 (only 2 doors), and liked my 4 series but didnt want another one of the same thing if something else might entice me.

Keep in mind, that at that point. I had been driving BMWs for around 16 years straight, in 3 year lease cycles.

Anyway, When I was off work for that thanksgiving week in 2018, I was surfing around the internet, and saw that my "local" (45 miles from home) tesla store had model 3s for test drives. I called down there to arrange a test drive, and said "I am thinking of buying one of these but I am a long time BMW owner, can you pair me with a sales advisor who is pretty familiar since I have a bunch of questions."

Lucky for me, the person on the other end of the phone was the stores assistant manager, who had just come over from a long tenure at BMW himself. We chatted on the phone for 10 minutes, he said "I will work with you myself" and I went down there. They had a model 3 performance for test drives. Wife got in passenger seat, he got in the back.

We left, and I was cruising around. He said "hop on this freeway onramp (it was one with a traffic control light), and "get on it" at the green". I waited my turn at the freeway entrance light, it turned green... I floored it... my wife said "EEEPPPP!!!!~" I had this HUUUGEEEE smile on my face, I looked at her and I said "honey I want this car, like now....".

We got back to the store, and I was like :

Take my money.jpg

I am glad I took a test drive. I haven't ordered yet but I drove the MYP and M3P. Driving them both was very enlightening and at the same time confounding. I had a clear preference going in and after driving them both, I am not so sure which way I want to go now. I really need to drive the MS LR (latest gen) before i can really make up my mind. Those 3 were on my shortlist with the M3P and MYP at the top.

Now I am not so sure that the MS LR might not be a better option for my family. Unfortunately, I can't find one to drive anywhere. I plan to drive the M3P and MYP again but I am really glad I didn't order before a test drive at this point.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Always take a test drive. As others have mentioned, it doesn't matter how something appears in writing, so much of this is subjective and you need to determine for yourself if it's the right car. Ergonomics, comfort, features, accessibility, etc. all should be checked out. In my case, I wanted to check out back seat room for my kid, seat comfort, speed, handling, ride quality, and interior noise. It definitely exceeded my expectations all around except rear seat room. It is nearly identical to my previous car, which is perfectly fine as that was never an issue. I just didn't want there to be less room than I already had. So it was an easy sell for me and just gave me the confidence to know it was the right car.

The biggest benefit of the test drive was selling my wife. Typically when I buy a new car, I handle it myself and she doesn't get involved. But when I mentioned I was considering a Model 3, she made sure to know she wanted to be involved. It's the most expensive car we've ever bought, and she wasn't completely sold on the whole EV thing. She was interested enough, but overall doubtful and not sure we should place the order. However, it only took a few minutes of the test drive for her to start making comments about how nice the car is and fall in love with the features. By the end of the drive (she drove it too), she was sold and we placed the order right there.

Took an overnight test drive of a LR 3. Ended up putting in a reservation for a SR+ 4 days later (didn't need all the bells and whistles, test drive was mainly to see if the 3 was big enough for local driving for my family). 11-30 June delivery estimate now.

Always take a test drive. As others have mentioned, it doesn't matter how something appears in writing, so much of this is subjective and you need to determine for yourself if it's the right car. Ergonomics, comfort, features, accessibility, etc. all should be checked out. In my case, I wanted to check out back seat room for my kid, seat comfort, speed, handling, ride quality, and interior noise. It definitely exceeded my expectations all around except rear seat room. It is nearly identical to my previous car, which is perfectly fine as that was never an issue. I just didn't want there to be less room than I already had. So it was an easy sell for me and just gave me the confidence to know it was the right car.

The biggest benefit of the test drive was selling my wife. Typically when I buy a new car, I handle it myself and she doesn't get involved. But when I mentioned I was considering a Model 3, she made sure to know she wanted to be involved. It's the most expensive car we've ever bought, and she wasn't completely sold on the whole EV thing. She was interested enough, but overall doubtful and not sure we should place the order. However, it only took a few minutes of the test drive for her to start making comments about how nice the car is and fall in love with the features. By the end of the drive (she drove it too), she was sold and we placed the order right there.

yep great post. Had similar situation, my partner was very hesitant about us spending so much money on a car. As soon as we got in, she was sold on it. Seems she’s now more excited than me, she’s telling absolutely everyone she knows we’ve ordered one 😂😂

• Funny
I had a test drive with a model y last year. I will be getting one eventually(for my wife), but I felt my money was better spent by investing in the stock. So far that has been the smart choice, but at certain point the itch to own a Tesla has slowly crept back and I decided to order a model 3 sr+.
My justification is :
1. $5000 federal incentive.
2. Interest rates are low
3. I feel(and I know it’s a bit of gamble) that when the cybertruck is available I can probably get close to what I paid for it on the used market.
So, to answer your question: I did not test drive a model 3 before ordering, but I do have one booked this week