Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drive / Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an appointment tomorrow (Monday) evening to test drive a Model X at my local Tesla retailer.
Bit of a silly question, but anything in particular I should be conscious of / pay extra attention to during my test drive?
I have spent lots of time reading these forums but this will be my first time in an X and only my second ever test drive of a tesla. (I test drove a MS about 4 years ago with a buddy of mine).

Is there any room to deal / move on purchase price or is it generally, tax incentives, maybe owner referral and that is it?

Thx in advance. Looking forward to the drive.

Make sure you get a demo of the autopilot to see if you want that feature. I also rode in the very back seats to check out comfort for an adult. We listened to both stereos to see if could hear a difference worth 2500.
Some people have reported discounts on inventory cars, might ask your salesperson.

Good thoughts and helpful information. I guess the other point is the premium package. Like most, it is a pretty pricey option package in Canada. I don't really care so much about the auto presenting doors or the bio filter etc but I do really like the cold weather package. It's just a crap load of money for heated steering wheel and wiper nozzles ( and heated seats of course)

Make sure you get a demo of the autopilot to see if you want that feature. I also rode in the very back seats to check out comfort for an adult. We listened to both stereos to see if could hear a difference worth 2500.
Some people have reported discounts on inventory cars, might ask your salesperson.
BTW, the 'stereo' upgrade is now part of PUP, so, it's all or nothing, unless you are getting an inventory or used car....

gaus 10k is correct about all or nothing. But fortunately a recent change moved the Auto liftgate out of the PUP and made it standard, so that helps us decide if the PUP is worth the extra. Before we were paying the price of the PUP to simply (many of us) to get the auto liftgate. So if you really want better stereo, it helps that its the deciding factor now.

Do you need those heated extras in Canada? Maybe but remember it will cost you range to use them. That's something we can't decide for you.

gaus 10k is correct about all or nothing. But fortunately a recent change moved the Auto liftgate out of the PUP and made it standard, so that helps us decide if the PUP is worth the extra. Before we were paying the price of the PUP to simply (many of us) to get the auto liftgate. So if you really want better stereo, it helps that its the deciding factor now.

Do you need those heated extras in Canada? Maybe but remember it will cost you range to use them. That's something we can't decide for you.
Heated seats use very little energy, especially when compared to how much energy the heater uses.
I have an appointment tomorrow (Monday) evening to test drive a Model X at my local Tesla retailer.
Bit of a silly question, but anything in particular I should be conscious of / pay extra attention to during my test drive?
I have spent lots of time reading these forums but this will be my first time in an X and only my second ever test drive of a tesla. (I test drove a MS about 4 years ago with a buddy of mine).

Is there any room to deal / move on purchase price or is it generally, tax incentives, maybe owner referral and that is it?

Thx in advance. Looking forward to the drive.
I would try out acceleration, autopilot, and ease of steering. There isn't anything you can do as far as buying incentives.

But I would highly recommend checking out Tesla's inventory 90D's, they recently put huge discounts on them. Just make sure to get one with AP 2.0. Apart from that the only real difference between a build from then and now would be matte seat backs and new FWD switches, the latter of which are really cheap to replace. (You may even get Tesla Service to throw it on for free). I think Tesla may replace your front door latches to the quieter ones, but that's not a big deal. The difference is you get a 90D for the price/less than a 75D!

Also, when choosing a referral code, make sure you pick a friend/someone knowledgeable. They should be there to assist you/answer any questions you have ASAP.

Congrats on your new X!
(Everyone buys one after driving it)

If it were me, I would test drive both the smaller and larger battery to see if one makes any difference in driving/acceleration and discuss the type of driving you tend to do and range requirements. I found myself doing a lot more driving now with a Tesla than in previous gas cars... especially road trips.

Try the back seats and look at the different configurations carefully. The new 7-seat fold-flat looks handy. Premium package "all-or-nothing" makes for a difficult decision but for me I would do it again in a heartbeat. The self-presenting doors is something I have grown to love and is in the top 4-5 features of the car for me.

Enjoy your test drive and update us if you end up buying!

PS. Check out the Tesla Owners Club of Ontario - they are very active in helping new owners with their first-hand experiences. www.teslaownersclub.ca is the main link then click on Ontario. If you reach out to them they can even match you up with a current owner for some unsolicited feedback on the ownership experience.