Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive reaction questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to test drive a MYP earlier today. A few questions on things I found surprising and different than a M3P I did a long term test drive of a couple year ago:
  • Seat comfort: It was impossible to get the lumbar to retract to a comfortable position. Even when set to the smallest setting, it was like a bar pushing into my lower back—hours after the test drive and my back is still sore. Can anybody confirm if they can get lumbar to set completely flat (i.e., not able to be felt at all)?
  • Throttle and steering touchiness: The throttle was extremely sensitive to the point that the car was difficult to drive. I didn’t get this in the M3P I drove before or a M3LR I drove immediately after the MYP. Does the throttle tip-in on these cars adapt to the driver to where the test drive car would have noticeably different response, or is the MYP just that much more sensitive? The steering ratio also seemed quicker than the M3 which surprised me and made the car a bit twitchy.
As an aside, Tesla really needs to start offering the MYP with optional smaller wheels. I didn’t mind the firmer suspension but the choppiness from such heavy wheels and small tires was unappealing (and that’s coming from somebody who DDs a lowered sports sedan with 20s).

I have bad back problems and the lumbar support is excellent for me. I'm not sure if the setting is all the way in or out but I like it where it is. Very comfy. Maybe try sitting in a different MY or an M3 and adjusting...

EDIT: Yes, I can get the lumbar to go backwards and it feels flat to me.

I experienced similar throttle, steering and regex braking with my test drives in an M3 (no MYs were available yet). After the first drive I used these settings and it helped me. My kids call this old man mode. (these are not my current settings, just my test drive settings)

IMG_2274_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LionelHutz
There are rumors of air suspension coming you might want to wait if you want a smoother ride. Of course it's just a rumor in this forum though. Or you could go LR with the normal tires. I have a performance 3 with 18in wheels. It makes a difference.

Also a radar upgrade supposedly. Not sure if that matters to you but it could make a difference in a few years

I believe the bigger performance-trim brakes make it so not all wheels will fit. Aside from the possibility of future air suspension or aftermarket options, you may be stuck. There is always the stealth setup: get a LR and pay $2K for the acceleration boost, keeping the softer ride.

The lumbar thing seems like a highly personal preference, but you might want to try another MY or two, just in case the one you drove was buggy. I was able to adjust it to my liking.

Can I interest you in this almost-full Orange Julius?

I have bad back problems and the lumbar support is excellent for me. I'm not sure if the setting is all the way in or out but I like it where it is. Very comfy. Maybe try sitting in a different MY or an M3 and adjusting...

EDIT: Yes, I can get the lumbar to go backwards and it feels flat to me.

I experienced similar throttle, steering and regex braking with my test drives in an M3 (no MYs were available yet). After the first drive I used these settings and it helped me. My kids call this old man mode. (these are not my current settings, just my test drive settings)

View attachment 604235

Thanks—Chill felt like it significantly reduced the power and not just the throttle response, is that right?

The Model Y front seat's lumbar adjustment includes Up/Down and Inflate/Deflate. Perhaps you did not adjust the vertical position.

After trying all three of the steering settings I stick with Standard. I found Comfort too light and Sport requires too much steering effort.

I drove my MY Dual Motor for several months in Chill Mode before I started driving in Standard Mode to get used to the throttle. I still set the MY to Chill Mode when the roads are wet.

I started out driving with Low Regeneration, have since switched to Standard Regeneration. I initially found Standard Regeneration to be too aggressive but learned I needed to feather the throttle and not fully remove my foot, now Standard is how I drive.

I tried Hold Mode several times but found that I prefer Creep Mode especially as I pull into my garage. I prefer to have my foot on the brake pedal as I get close to the back wall of my garage. If I press too hard on the brake pedal the MY just stops creeping forward. There is a Safety setting for Obstacle Aware Acceleration. I have this turned on, hope never to find out how well it works. At traffic signals I just press on the brake pedal a second time and the MY will hold until I press the accelerator pedal.

My MY has the 19" Gemini wheels.