Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drive This Week: What should I try?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Tesla is going some events in WV so that interested WV buyers don’t have to go up to Pittsburgh to test drive a vehicle. I believe they are calling it a Remote Destination Drive. I’m quite excited to go try out a Model Y as I’m leaning heavily towards getting a MY when/if the tax credits return.

That being said I’d like to call on the collective knowledge of the board here. What are some things I should try out on my test drive to get a a good idea of the test drive experience? I only get a little over 30 minutes but I’ll try to cram in as many suggestions as possible. Thanks all!

Bring the family and even the dog (if Tesla will let you.) Try sitting in the second row and the third row if you are interested in and able to test drive the 7 seat Model Y. Have your spouse try the driver's seat for comfort, front passenger seat (note that there is no longer a lumbar adjustment on the front passenger seat.)

The most assured driving mode (unless you have previously owned, driven an EV) is to use the Creep driving setting. This simulates the way a conventional vehicle with an automatic transmission will start to creep forward when you take your foot off the brake pedal. There is also a Hold driving mode that provides one pedal driving. You may want to save that setting for another drive. There is a separate setting for Brake Hold. Brake Hold will hold the vehicle at a traffic signal if you press hard on the brake pedal once stopped so you can remove your foot from the brake. When the traffic signal is green just press the accelerator pedal and you are moving again.

Drive in Chill Mode for part of the time. Chill mode will be the least abrupt push back into the seat when pressing the accelerator pedal. Your passengers will appreciate not being slammed back into the seat every time you press on the go pedal. Chill mode is how you would want to drive in winter road conditions and heavy rain. (Chill mode is how you would drive a Tesla if you had your mother in the vehicle or a large cake on the back seat.) After a time switch to Standard Mode (Sport Mode if the vehicle is a Performance Model Y) and you can experience the full power of the Model Y. Now you are driving a vehicle that feels as if there is a 400 HP V8 engine underneath the hood.

When you need to slow the Model Y let the regenerative braking do most of the braking. Slowly raise your foot on the accelerator pedal without fully removing your foot. Regenerative braking will greatly assist slowing the vehicle until you are moving at something like 4 MPH. Then you press the brake pedal to come to a complete stop. If you release your foot from the accelerator pedal too quickly the Model Y will apply full regenerative braking. This can be discomforting to any passengers and can even cause motion sickness. The goal is to be a smooth operator when pressing and releasing the accelerator pedal. Once you have mastered using the regenerative braking you may want to try driving in Hold Mode (this enables one pedal driving.) You may like driving in hold mode but it takes some time using Hold Mode to be able to stop exactly where you want the Tesla vehicle to fully stop. Also, using Hold Mode when pulling into a parking space or a home garage can be a bit tricky, requires your full attention.

With only 30 minutes you may not have a chance to backup. There is a backup camera but you can also add the two side repeater cameras to the backup view if you swipe up.

Last edited: