Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drive tomorrow - what to look out for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, eagerly awaited M3P test drive tomorrow - likely a Freemont build at Tesla dealership. Only allowed 30mins drive in a totally unfamiliar city.

Do they let you go your own way or do they setup a route to follow?

Anything to look out for, questions to ask? Common errors?

Excited/Nervous sleep time!

Reactions: Jez_GB
Where are you going for the test drive? Locals may know what is on offer. I had two test drives and in both cases I was just given the keys and allowed to do what I want. A route was suggested, but I was fairly familiar with both routes.

Obviously my experience in Austin will be different to yours, but I requested the car for a 24 hr Test drive. When I returned the car I thought it was amazing but decided i didn’t need a new car. The funny thing was on my way home the smile I had been wearing for the previous 24 hours wasn’t there anymore. I got home and ordered up the car, best car I’ve ever owned.

Hi all, eagerly awaited M3P test drive tomorrow - likely a Freemont build at Tesla dealership. Only allowed 30mins drive in a totally unfamiliar city.

Do they let you go your own way or do they setup a route to follow?

Anything to look out for, questions to ask? Common errors?

Excited/Nervous sleep time!
I suggest using the first 5 minutes just gently getting the feel of the accelerator... easing off the pedal so so gradually rather than lifting completely. If you give it a bit off power then lift off “ice” style you will not make smooth progress and just get seasick!

See if they've had any cancellations around your appointment time on the day of your appointment.

And if you're moving quickly watch out for the regen braking when you take your foot off the accelator.

I suggest using the first 5 minutes just gently getting the feel of the accelerator... easing off the pedal so so gradually rather than lifting completely. If you give it a bit off power then lift off “ice” style you will not make smooth progress and just get seasick!
This is my biggest concern - I’ve previously had some very high performance cars so I’m sure the first few times I’ll be throwing people through the windscreen 🤣🤣

Yes, this, after checking settings for full regen and hold. Then you can experience one pedal driving. There's no going back.

Good advice.... bear in mind lifting off the go peddle completely will bring the brake lights on, anyone behind might think you are brake checking them!

Reactions: rjpjnk
Well, that was an experience.

I was quite nervous as it was my first EV, but once I sat inside I felt quite reassured. The build quality (on this particular car?) was very good. No obvious defects (White Performance, black interior).

The seats were immensely comfortable and supportive (big torso short legs!).

The sales agent had a programmed route in the car which made life easier for me and showed me about the keycard and basic gear shifter, setting steering and mirrors.

I drove around the carpark first testing the regen brakes, which weren’t as severe as I’d first expected - at slower speeds it was severe, but at higher speeds it was far gentler than I expected.

We gingerly pootled around the route at first before it left a roundabout with no other cars around straight into a dual carriage way. I asked the missus if she was ready for me to test the power... she nodded, knowing we’ve had powerful cars before. Pedal to metal and we both had a dirty big grin on our faces - her sunglasses launched into the backseat! It was effortless, grippy and felt very safe.

At speed, the car did have road noise, but it’s nothing to write home about - my M cars have been horrific noise-mobiles so this was better than them.
It had a bit of wind noise but once again, nothing major or worrying coming from raw car.

I was caught out by the lane safety, where I didn’t indicate to drop back into a lane and the steering wheel wrestled me a little but next time I remembered to simply indicate.

The cabin had unusual acoustics when talking, slightly echoey but also strangely muted (for those who have been in a sound-insulated booth it would be familiar!).

All in all, I went in there expecting shoddy build quality, dangerous feeling steering and just a jumpy car. I came out of there confident that I would be happy with a car of that level (provided it was free from problems!).