Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drive tomorrow - what to look out for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If coming from an M Car the P is the right choice, suspension is much better on the P than the LR from a performance and overall damping perspective if your used to high performance ICE cars.
There's virtually no difference in the suspension. The only stated diffrerence is the P is said to be lower but even that when measured has been about the same. The main difference is the ride is due to the larger rims and lower profile tyres, which just make the ride harder but also something you could do on the LR.

Asked about Delivery he said May, June, and then September
That's interesting!
It looks like Tesla are going to repeat what they did in March ie delay possible Feb deliveries until March to the new reg - made for better headlines.
So no August deliveries.
July should see the first of the June 19 deliveries that were acquired on a 2yr lease hit the 2nd hand market.

Reactions: Puzuk
There's virtually no difference in the suspension. The only stated diffrerence is the P is said to be lower but even that when measured has been about the same. The main difference is the ride is due to the larger rims and lower profile tyres, which just make the ride harder but also something you could do on the LR.
It is supposed to be lower but I don’t know if that’s reality or just the way it looks with the larger wheels on it. What I can say from my two test drives is that there is a perceivable difference between the two and I much preferred the Performance. If that’s just wheels and tyres then that’s fine but it’s a big enough difference to make me go for the P.

The only off-putting thing was delivery is GLASGOW !! 3 hours plus from where I am, Was saying it's because they had outgrown the site. But on further discussion, if you requested home delivery Aberdeen would cover the cost as it was their fault
I wonder why all new collections are now from Glasgow whilst there are service centres in both Edinburgh and Aberdeen. Not certain if the service centre is actually up and running yet in Glasgow? Is space/lorry access the only constraint when determining whether a site can do collections?

You'd think they'd spread the collections out between the three sites. The Edinburgh Newbridge site used to manage all of the collections for Scotland (before the SuC installations) and is probably a comparable size to the lot in Aberdeen based on the surrounding population that those two areas serve.

Not just a Scotland thing though, as there are a few service centres in England that don't do collections.

I wonder why all new collections are now from Glasgow whilst there are service centres in both Edinburgh and Aberdeen. Not certain if the service centre is actually up and running yet in Glasgow? Is space/lorry access the only constraint when determining whether a site can do collections?

You'd think they'd spread the collections out between the three sites. The Edinburgh Newbridge site used to manage all of the collections for Scotland (before the SuC installations) and is probably a comparable size to the lot in Aberdeen based on the surrounding population that those two areas serve.

Not just a Scotland thing though, as there are a few service centres in England that don't do collections.
Aberdeen SC feels like a single lorry would fill the car park with the lorry on the road, I’m sure they could fit a fair few cars in but it isnt big and is on a fairly high usage road, especially on week days. I am not sure how many deliveries they are waiting on but I’m sure it would be worth the transport up the A90 if they had somewhere to distribute them from. Other manufacturers have used Ardoe House and similar places for mass deliveries, sure they could make something work if they had the appetite.

I quite like the idea of a road trip to collect a car, its just in this case its impractical as the car is ordered through my partners work so is in her name, she’s up for a road trip but only if i go along and that means taking a 3 year old and a car seat for a 1 way journey so not the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: skippyinspace
If it would interest anyone, I took the Polestar 2 out for a test drive yesterday afternoon at Harrogate. Would people like my thoughts on that, so soon after my M3P test drive?

Polestar 2 test drive it is then!

This was an interesting weekend for me, 60miles north to Tesla Newcastle on the Saturday and then 50 miles south to Polestar ‘test drive’ station in Harrogate on the Sunday.

Ive narrowed my car choices to either of the Polestar 2 (PP) or the M3P (no-AP), so I booked the test drives to see if it would help me make up my mind.

The Harrogate test drive centre was simply a white cargo container with big Polestar letters all over it, set up in an office carpark next to Harrogate Police HQ. They had 5 Polestars all lined up on charge in various configurations.
The one I was alloted was the white (Snow?) with Performance pack. (See pics).

The car had ‘Covid’ stickers across the door seams on it to prove it had been sanitised after the last test drive.

Aesthetically, it speaks for itself - muscle car crossed with an SUV. I really liked its kerb appeal, perhaps a tiny bit more than the M3P. The alloys worked well as did the Performance pack options.

Salesman came over, loads of preamble, for him to frustratingly find out that I knew more than him about the options etc. We hopped in the car(me and missus) and began to setup the car for my driving.
We were told it was not a typical test drive... (pit of stomach fell out...) and it was to be a convoy test drive where all 5 cars would go out and follow a predefined route through the dales and then back to base, an hour round trip.

Sat Nav was easy to setup as you’d expect from any car of this price bracket. The door was closed by the salesman, and my immediate feeling was one of claustrophobia. I don’t suffer from this, but I felt very crammed in. The central console was very high (I’m 6ft), and all the windows felt like they basically pillbox vision slits. The rear view mirror reflected a very small opening that we shall loosely call the ‘rear window’.
I wanted to like the car, but at this point I was feeling quite hemmed in. Perhaps I could have adjusted the seat better but I didn’t have time.

It wasn’t Tesla interior - it was quite probably the exact opposite! The roof was close to my head and my missus said it looked like I was crouched over a bit although I apparently relaxed into the seat a little over time.

‘Hey Google take me to Work’ set the target destination to a pub carpark 30mins away, and the convoy pulled away. I felt that the car was quite slow to begin with, allegedly due to the brakes automatically applying to scrub the rust away on the large disks.
The brake regen was very severe, literally akin to medium braking which took a little getting used to. I didn’t applying the brakes at all, and used used one pedal driving for the whole drive.
When we pulled out onto the main road it went from 30MPH roadworks to NSL, my first opportunity to see what it could do - the convoy leader had disappeared off into the distance so I did likewise. You’d struggle to find an electric car that lacked torque and this was no exception, it was immediate and powerful, but by no means as punchy as the M3P.

Through the twisties, I had gotten used to the width of the car, and drove spiritedly and was genuinely impressed with the handling of such a heavy car. At this point however, the missus said she felt nauseous - she never feels unwell (even at Alton towers!), and no, she wasn’t pregnant!

Allegedly from the pax perspective, the car felt the same suspension-wise as my previous BMW M car which could rattle your teeth out, so perhaps the Ohlins needed some refinement.

We arrived at the carpark and I didn’t even realise but I never put the car into park or neutral, it just sat there with no creep. The 360 camera was going bonkers at this point as the surface of the carpark was uneven so I think the car thought I was about to hit little walls or something!

The convoy lead driver came over checked everything was ok and told me to say ‘Hey Google take me Home’ to take us back to the test drive station.

The way back was much of a muchness, as before, the car felt very quiet and very obedient, but I just couldn’t get over the sense of being hemmed in.
We arrived back at the test drive centre, and had to reverse park into the bay. I did my usual turn in and quickly found out that the turning circle on these is massive, what would normally be a smooth reverse ended up as a 5 point turn.

I feel that it was a good, well built car, with lots of nice options, but I just felt it was a smidge underpowered and the overarching feeling of claustrophobia really grated on me. I would have liked to have spent more time adjusting the seat to see if I could get it feeling better, but I didn’t have time as we were the last convoy of the day!

Attachments

• 6C6409B5-58A9-4ED3-8959-4A9D605D94BF.jpeg
    6C6409B5-58A9-4ED3-8959-4A9D605D94BF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
  • 40A8FD98-BA76-4CFF-9A78-F33688FF6CB0.jpeg
    40A8FD98-BA76-4CFF-9A78-F33688FF6CB0.jpeg
    770.9 KB · Views: 35
  • AE48A9CD-3644-472F-A9D7-CAA63DD7EA83.jpeg
    AE48A9CD-3644-472F-A9D7-CAA63DD7EA83.jpeg
    976.9 KB · Views: 30
  • EFDDFC9D-2008-495D-85DC-32E6751D1E19.jpeg
    EFDDFC9D-2008-495D-85DC-32E6751D1E19.jpeg
    747 KB · Views: 37
  • F2AAFF9D-6C50-46E6-B447-081175731354.jpeg
    F2AAFF9D-6C50-46E6-B447-081175731354.jpeg
    644.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Doesnt sound like you had a lot of fun on the Sunday, i have had disappointing test drives like that before and its really deflating, my last one was actual an M4 Comp where my mrs couldn’t wait to get out it was so noisy in the cabin.

The Polestar looks good, bit of a 370Z on steroids side profile about it, shame you didnt manage to get comfortable or have your own time with the car, doesnt seem like a good way to sell them but i can see why they would do that when there are so few about.

Sounds like your decision is a relatively simple one, thats good news for this forum but in the grand scheme of things we do need other manufacturers to step up without wanting the Taycan price tag, the only thing that keeps progress going and the costs honest is genuine competition.

Doesnt sound like you had a lot of fun on the Sunday, i have had disappointing test drives like that before and its really deflating, my last one was actual an M4 Comp where my mrs couldn’t wait to get out it was so noisy in the cabin.

The Polestar looks good, bit of a 370Z on steroids side profile about it, shame you didnt manage to get comfortable or have your own time with the car, doesnt seem like a good way to sell them but i can see why they would do that when there are so few about.

Sounds like your decision is a relatively simple one, thats good news for this forum but in the grand scheme of things we do need other manufacturers to step up without wanting the Taycan price tag, the only thing that keeps progress going and the costs honest is genuine competition.

haha. I’m still struck. My concerns is that the M3P is £45 p/m more expensive than the PS2, and I’d be so annoyed if the M3P had issues with leaks, bad seals/panels etc.

Yet the PS2 was just a step cramped for me, especially coming from the M3 and it’s lofty roomy interior!!

Got a test drive Friday with a M3, might be a silly question but am I insured by Tesla while I’m on the test drive? Or do I need my own insurance? I’m a named driver on my girlfriends.
You are covered by their insurance, in the days leading up to the drive you will need to upload a photo of your driving license online and answer a couple of simple questions.

Got a test drive Friday with a M3, might be a silly question but am I insured by Tesla while I’m on the test drive? Or do I need my own insurance? I’m a named driver on my girlfriends.
In my case Tesla made it clear that they provide no insurance and any accident/injury must be covered by my insurance. I had to sign their form acknowledging that. Perhaps it varies from state to state. I am in NJ.

Here is an excerpt from the test drive agreement:

“Tesla Motors Overnight Test Drive Agreement
Tesla is loaning you, the undersigned, a Tesla vehicle for an overnight drive experience. Your use of the vehicle is subject to the terms and conditions set forth below:
You represent that you have liability and property damage insurance on your vehicle that meets or exceeds the minimum state requirements. There is no insurance coverage provided by Tesla under this Agreement. Your insurance will provide primary coverage for the vehicle during the loan period. You further agree to indemnify and hold Tesla and its agents and affiliates harmless from any liability, expense (including attorney’s fees), loss, or”

Last edited:
In my case Tesla made it clear that they provide no insurance and any accident/injury must be covered by my insurance. I had to sign their form acknowledging that. Perhaps it varies from state to state. I am in NJ.

Here is an excerpt from the test drive agreement:

“Tesla Motors Overnight Test Drive Agreement
Tesla is loaning you, the undersigned, a Tesla vehicle for an overnight drive experience. Your use of the vehicle is subject to the terms and conditions set forth below:
You represent that you have liability and property damage insurance on your vehicle that meets or exceeds the minimum state requirements. There is no insurance coverage provided by Tesla under this Agreement. Your insurance will provide primary coverage for the vehicle during the loan period. You further agree to indemnify and hold Tesla and its agents and affiliates harmless from any liability, expense (including attorney’s fees), loss, or”
Ah sorry I never looked at the location. It is included in the UK.

Reactions: rjpjnk