Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drive Tomorrow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excited to test drive a Model 3 tomorrow for the first time. What do you think are some essential questions to ask? Also, I know they are going to do the hard sell. Any tips on what I should be looking for in the buying experience. Im able to buy this week, but also a very patient person and can certainly wait to the end of the next quarter for deals.
Thank you for any help

I'd check the Tesla site for existing inventory in your area to see if there are any that match what you're looking for before you go, if you're looking to get the end-of-quarter incentives. That way if you decide to buy right away, you might be able to scoop up the one you're interested in.

William - Thats what I thought, but when the girl called me yesterday to confirm my test drive she actually started the full press sales pitch. Including the lines: "What do I have to do for you to take delivery this weekend?" "Just so you know, there will never be a deal this good again after this weekend" I know the BS lines and I also know I want a Tesla, but she def was starting with the hard sell and she hasnt even had me for the test drive yet.

• Informative
Reactions: VT_EE
The questions really depend on your situation. Cost, performance, charging, range, service, etc.? What are your concerns? I would do multiple test drives of different trims to see which one best meets your needs.

Note: no hard sell at my ATL location. Of course, it was just after the quarter ended so things were not hectic.

William - Thats what I thought, but when the girl called me yesterday to confirm my test drive she actually started the full press sales pitch. Including the lines: "What do I have to do for you to take delivery this weekend?" "Just so you know, there will never be a deal this good again after this weekend" I know the BS lines and I also know I want a Tesla, but she def was starting with the hard sell and she hasnt even had me for the test drive yet.

Amateur... she shouldn’t be doing that. Just ignore it.

Excited to test drive a Model 3 tomorrow for the first time. What do you think are some essential questions to ask? Also, I know they are going to do the hard sell. Any tips on what I should be looking for in the buying experience. Im able to buy this week, but also a very patient person and can certainly wait to the end of the next quarter for deals.
Thank you for any help
First - congratulations on considering a Tesla! I will reiterate the prior comments as well, the car really does sell itself, be prepared to buy after driving it ;) Funny thing though - the "hardest selling" probably would come from asking most anyone out here in these forums! For me, I only wished I had gotten one sooner!
The car buying experience isn't the same with Tesla - there aren't deals, promotions, things to ask about or do. The car pricing may change from time to time, and what is standard can also vary, but the people in store won't know any of those timelines. So asking probably won't get you more than their thoughts about possible changes.
What it will really come down to - do you like the car?, do you like driving it?, is it comfortable for you/your passengers?, will you be okay with waiting for delivery?, what are you wanting to spend?, ultimately - why do you want one? - the top reasons are usually safety, technology, it's electric - so basically, my suggestions would be to be sure you understand what you want before going then you can compare your requirements directly with the car tomorrow.
Hope that helps a little anyway - and enjoy the test drive! :D

From what I've read on here from articles out there, there are incentives available for people who already have an existing order placed but their car can't reach them in time to meet the end of quarter delivery. If they can't match them up with their exact configuration as ordered they will be offered the opportunity to take a different configuration on wheels or paint for example on an inventory car at no extra cost to upgrade. Elon recently made it clear to staff that this doesn't apply to new orders who are willing to take inventory cars.

There is a referral supercharger incentive now. If you order you need to do so using the actual referral link of the person you are getting the referral from however. They won't honor if not placed through their link. It's a special order page that is set up for the current owner.

They do sell on hand demos at a discount sometimes to clear them out of the store. I know some popular choices of models/configs however don't always get discounted based on what people have said who waited until the last week or so hoping for a deal.

My feeling is if you are spending this amount of money for a new car, get one config'd that will really make you happy with no regrets later about I wish I would have gotten a red one, a P model etc....

Good luck. In any event I'm sure you will enjoy your test drive. And that staff member you referenced is really not typical and goes against what Tesla expects from their store staff. That's all I'll say on that.

That is a standard question every car salesperson asks. I wouldn't read too much into it.

If you are ready to buy, let the salesperson know it and see if you can get concessions. If you can't, indicate you are ready to walk out. About half the time, the salesperson will then give you concessions. (They hate to let someone leave who is ready to buy.)

• Disagree
Reactions: iwannam3
That is a standard question every car salesperson asks. I wouldn't read too much into it.

If you are ready to buy, let the salesperson know it and see if you can get concessions. If you can't, indicate you are ready to walk out. About half the time, the salesperson will then give you concessions. (They hate to let someone leave who is ready to buy.)

Yeah, see, that's not a thing with Tesla. You would know that if you'd purchased one.

Hard to pass up getting one after test-driving it. It's THAT good...depriving yourself of the car for another 3 months in hopes of picking up a few hundred worth of incentives is really just shooting yourself in the foot.

I had a friend who recently purchased a Corolla Hybrid instead of a Model 3. I asked him if he even test-drove the Model 3. He sheepishly said "yes" but it was painfully clear from both his expression and his ultimate choice that he was lying.

Advice: If you don't want to get it, like, right now, don't drive it!!!

Reactions: Nels and Big Earl
They might be doing a bit more hard selling this weekend because they always do a hard sales push right at the end of the quarter. That's why there are deals about free supercharging and free paint upgrades. If you wait until after the 1st that'll likely go away.

Make sure you understand (see in writing) what features you get with each trim level if your are purchasing less than Premium package. For example, others have been disappointed when they didn't get heated rear seats, even though the test drive car had the feature, and Tesla rep incorrectly said it was included on the SR+.

If you have a car you want to get rid of, I would take your existing car to your local Carmax before your test drive with Tesla and get an estimate from them. Then if Tesla offers to buy your car, you will have a sense of how Tesla's offer compares. In my case, Tesla offered $500 more than Carmax. But I heard this varies and depends on the specific car being traded in.

Is never a hard sell but at end of each quarter they often have some reason for you to buy sooner than later. Outside of a couple of week period every 3 months it is a very laid back, never any pressure approach.

Yes, Telsa will match CarMax quotes but best to get Tesla trade in price first proceed based on that and a few days before delivery of a new car go to CarMax and get a quote. Tesla will match if higher but CarMax pricing is only good for 1 week so you need to time it so the CarMax quote is still valid for your actual trade in date.