Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally, after hearing no cars were available, I have a Model 3 SR+ test drive tomorrow! :) . Sooo excited. I have been lurking here for a few months and have a decent idea about what the experience would be. What do you all recommend I set on the car and experience? I'm sure I will like it but I have to really like it to convince SWMBO we should spend the $. Thanks!!

Reactions: JasonR67
Most people are convinced they want the car after they drive it, so I don’t think you are going to have any surprises there. It sounds like your main decision is a financial one. So I would prepare yourself by looking up your cost of electricity and running some numbers to compare what it will cost to drive the Tesla versus your current car. Also look at insurance pricing. That should give you a good overview of the total cost of ownership.

Finally, after hearing no cars were available, I have a Model 3 SR+ test drive tomorrow! :) . Sooo excited. I have been lurking here for a few months and have a decent idea about what the experience would be. What do you all recommend I set on the car and experience? I'm sure I will like it but I have to really like it to convince SWMBO we should spend the $. Thanks!!
Set it to the most aggressive acceleration and regeneration so you can experience the full benefits of Tesla.

Reactions: scooter62
Let SWMBO have first crack at driving the car. Problem with that is she might want the car for herself.
Lol... exact thing happen to me.
I ordered my SR+ without any test drive. A week later my wife asked if she could check out the car I ordered (while waiting for my delivery) so took her to the Tesla store.
She drove it and 15 minutes later she was ordering hers:rolleyes:

Edit to add: today we took her SR+ shopping and as she was driving she looked at me and said “I just love this car”. Not reporting this as a fanboy, just mentioning that I’m still scoring bonus points buying her a SR+. Just doesn’t happen too often for this guy...lol:D

Last edited:
Lol... exact thing happen to me.
I ordered my SR+ without any test drive. A week later my wife asked if she could check out the car I ordered (while waiting for my delivery) so took her to the Tesla store.
She drove it and 15 minutes later she was ordering hers:rolleyes:

Edit to add: today we took her SR+ shopping and as she was driving she looked at me and said “I just love this car”. Not reporting this as a fanboy, just mentioning that I’m still scoring bonus points buying her a SR+. Just doesn’t happen too often for this guy...lol:D

Your wife’s reaction is typical I think from reading others’ posts. It’s not “this is a nice car, this is a great car” (ok that last one is typical as well) but it’s one of deep emotional connection “Love”. And I’ve never “loved” a car before. In the year plus I’ve owned mine, my husband has heard me say the same thing, spontaneously while driving many times over, throughout the year. In fact did so just the other day so your post hit home to me when I read it.

He too ordered his car, a MS, without a test drive and suggested the two of us check it out at the Store while waiting. After having it and driving it, I knew I wanted a Tesla of my own. The Model 3 was a perfect size for me and I haven’t regretted that decision in the slightest. To echo what many have expressed themselves, it really is the best car I have ever owned.

I recently received some free charging miles from a friend’s purchase of a Model 3. He said he considered looking at one to purchase because of how much I said I loved mine. His delivery was in December. Yesterday he got his HPWC installed. He told us the car has changed his life. Yesterday he texted “this car is Awesome!” I think so too.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: AZjohnInCA
Bought my Model 3 in April, against my wife’s interest. Her exact words were “I hope it makes you happy ...”. (That sounds bad, but it wasn’t. It was genuinely an “I hope you love it as much as you’ve obsessed over it.”)

She didn’t mind that I bought it, but didn’t want anything to do with it.

Fast forward to October when a deer jumped in front of her Enclave. She commandeered the Model 3, while I ended up with the various rental cars. I figured it’d be OK for a few weeks until the Enclave got fixed.

A few weeks turned into 3 1/2 months.

Now we’re trying to switch back, and somehow I keep ending up in the Enclave. “I don’t see well at night.” or “Oops I accidentally warmed your car up. So I’ll just take that.”

yeah ... I might be losing my Model 3 here. And that’s perfectly OK. The Enclave would make fine tradebait for a Model Y!

Thanks for the conversation and the SWMBO comments. The drive was super fun! I had 30 minutes on my own then the SA did an AP demo. All of it was what I wanted it to be. Just too short. SWMBO experienced a YouTube video moment when I stepped on it. :D . Like dmurphy above, I got the, "if this is what you really want". When it comes to tech, she and I are polar opposites. If it weren't for the Tesla tech, I'd just go buy a Leaf. I'll be putting in my order once we move to Florida in the spring. Cheers!