Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drives in Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that our state has gone all anti-capitalist and banned direct sales, what exactly is the process to test drive a Tesla in Texas? I've read that you can't test drive in the galleries because that would make them dealerships (somehow?), so I'm curious how folks are able to try one out before they put down the money for an order.

I did go to Tesla's website and fill out the contact form asking about this a week or so ago but never heard back from anyone so now i'm just asking the general public :)

Actually, the 'outside entity' holding the test drive events is Tesla Motors in California. They just have to get approval from Texas to do a test drive event, and they are doing this pretty often now, almost every weekend between Austin, Houston, and Dallas. If you sign up for a test drive, you should be able to get on one within a month in one of the big cities, although they do fill up. You can also meet existing owners willing to let you drive their car. (I do, but many understandably don't.)

Ah yes, the great State of Texas politics--welcome.

Regarding a test drive, please see this link, as it contains when/where upcoming driving events are taking place.

I was told (by Tesla) state law only allows a few per month--which is about what we are seeing. They can't do it every weekend.

I would go by the store (or call) and tell them you are ready to buy, but need to drive it first (this way they will try to get you in if filled).

Don't know where in Texas you are located, but here you go:

http://www.teslamotors.com/events

Yeah, I'm in Austin, which I think means I just missed the event here. I'm pretty much sold on this car but I just can't bring myself to spend this much money on something without at least taking it on a cursory 5 minute drive (just to tell myself i have). I wonder how much longer it will be before they do another event in Austin. I might just have to drive up to Dallas/Houston to try one out there during their events. It sounds like the slots for test drives fill up pretty quick?

This state is so ridiculous sometimes. I already wrote my local reps and let them know this is embarrassing (who takes the side of a car dealer over a consumer?)

Yeah, I'm in Austin, which I think means I just missed the event here. I'm pretty much sold on this car but I just can't bring myself to spend this much money on something without at least taking it on a cursory 5 minute drive (just to tell myself i have). I wonder how much longer it will be before they do another event in Austin. I might just have to drive up to Dallas/Houston to try one out there during their events. It sounds like the slots for test drives fill up pretty quick?

This state is so ridiculous sometimes. I already wrote my local reps and let them know this is embarrassing (who takes the side of a car dealer over a consumer?)

Yes, I hear you as I was in same boat. Had to wait two weeks to drive in Austin, but if I was going to drop $115K, I want to drive to make sure. The good news, once you drive you will be sold--period. So that's the simple part. It might be worth going to Houston or Dallas if you don't want to wait another 3-4 weeks. Things do fill up fast. If I had mine I'd let you check it out--but not coming in until 26th.

As to your question (who takes the side of a car dealer over a consumer)? You'll find out pretty quick the Texas Auto Dealers Assoc (TADA) are in the pockets of most politicians--so that should answer your question.

Let us know once you have driven--because at that point it will be which one are you buying. Be warned I went from S (before drive), to P after drive, to P+ (24 hours after drive). All depends on what you are coming out of car wise and what you expect performance wise.

My expectations are probably not nearly as high as most folks on this forum, so i'm really just looking for an unexpected deal-breaker. I'm actually coming from another car designed by Franz von Holzhausen (the Tesla designer), the little two-seater saturn roadster i've had for 7-8. Sort of funny how I loved the look of the Tesla right out of the gate. I didn't find out it was the same person until the Tesla obsession really took hold (when you start watching every youtube video of the car and interviews with it's creators).

But yeah, my little roadster is fun to drive with the top down, but nothing like the Porsche-esq cars most people here are coming from.

I know they are prioritizing the P and P+ cars but I'm worried (picking up a 60 or 85kw) that any delays might push me into next year, which is why I want to pull the trigger sooner rather then later. I might have a dallas roadtrip here in my future.

FWIW - when I went McKinney-San Marcos-McKinney, and used Austin (Domain) as a splash and dash. I actually sold a car while there ...

(okay, I didn't really, but the couple from Memphis was on the fence and I was plugging in ... they asked questions, we talked, I went to lunch, etc. - came back, they had just hung up the phone. Green 85 with 19 and pano. Tech and sound, IIRC ... the man said "you pushed us over the edge")

.. anyway, when I plugged in, at minimum, three test rides were rolling and another one or two when I unplugged and the same for Saturday on the way back. So there is ample drive time at the Domain. There was a wait list that Lauren (??) was working on at the back computer.

My expectations are probably not nearly as high as most folks on this forum, so i'm really just looking for an unexpected deal-breaker. I'm actually coming from another car designed by Franz von Holzhausen (the Tesla designer), the little two-seater saturn roadster i've had for 7-8. Sort of funny how I loved the look of the Tesla right out of the gate. I didn't find out it was the same person until the Tesla obsession really took hold (when you start watching every youtube video of the car and interviews with it's creators).

But yeah, my little roadster is fun to drive with the top down, but nothing like the Porsche-esq cars most people here are coming from.

I know they are prioritizing the P and P+ cars but I'm worried (picking up a 60 or 85kw) that any delays might push me into next year, which is why I want to pull the trigger sooner rather then later. I might have a dallas roadtrip here in my future.

Guilty came out of a 911, but I still think you will find a P85 regular quite fun (or even S). Chances are they won't have a 60 to drive and only a P or P+, so you will get spoiled on the test ride.

I would get that order in ASAP will the holidays, etc coming up in Q4. Good news if you get a P, you're almost guaranteed a 30 window :biggrin:

Good luck and hope to see you around in Austin...