Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test driving Model Y as Model 3 owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently own a 2018 Tesla Model 3 that was purchased Dec 2018.

I went to test drive the Model Y, and it had some differences.

When you drive Model Y and take your foot off the "accelerator / gas", the car seems to come to a complete stop on its own, like locking in place, putting the hold thing down itself. With the Model 3, the regen braking kicks in to slow you most the way, but you still have to press the brake at the very end to come to a complete stop.

It also had full self driving because it had traffic light icons on the left part of the screen (where the car icon is). But I didn't really get to try it out, I didn't want to fully trust a car to come to a complete stop at a traffic light at 50-60 mph. I feel I need a Tesla employee to show how this feature works.

But I like that the Tesla Model 3 can make quick turns without flipping over. Does Model Y have a higher risk of flipping over for it being an SUV? Or does its battery pack help give it a lower center of gravity and allow it to make sharper turns without flipping over? Every Mercedes SUV I driven will have a warning label on the window visor that has a warning about roll over risk, and a picture of a tilting SUV, but the Tesla Model Y didn't have that warning.

They let me test drive the Model Y alone. I was surprised they allow this, but once I was allowed to test drive a BMW i8 by myself few years ago. But they said b/c of COVID no employees are allowed to ride with test drivers.

Are there people out there who will still choose a Model 3 right now even with the option of a Model Y? I assumed you get more car with Model Y and they are about the same price. I may have chosen a Model Y if there was one in 2018, just because I can have more space to put stuff, especially snowboarding.

But I like that the Tesla Model 3 can make quick turns without flipping over.
Does Model Y have a higher risk of flipping over for it being an SUV?
Or does its battery pack help give it a lower center of gravity and allow it to make sharper turns without flipping over?
Every Mercedes SUV I driven will have a warning label on the window visor that has a warning about roll over risk,
and a picture of a tilting SUV, but the Tesla Model Y didn't have that warning.
I am pretty sure, the Model Y don't need a roll over risk, warning label... look at this Model X roll over crash test:

Last edited:
I have a 2018 Model 3 and bought a Model Y last week.

Imo Model 3 is the better driving car. You can feel the extra weight on the Y, and the power feels like it bogs down from a stop. But once it's moving it is quick. I'm planning to get Acceleration Boost in the summer. That might fix that feeling. The Model Y is more comfortable for longer trips.

My wife is driving the Y. It's good for what it is, but I don't really care to drive it. I'm more on the car enthusiast side.

Your Model 3 supports “hold” mode just like the Y. There are three modes for the setting: creep, roll, and hold. Hold is the default now I think, used to be roll. Hold was added like a year and a half ago. Always read the release notes that the car shows you after an update.

I like the functionality of the Model Y and don't like the Model 3 space lost in the trunk because of the speaker platform under the rear window.

However I prefer the elongated shape of the model 3 to the bulbing shape of the Model Y.

I wish the Model 3 rear get a little bit redesigned and get a hatchback when the Model 3 will be updated with rear casting.

There is a MIC Model 2 hatchback on the way but I doubt it will be sold in US because of the import taxes, unless the M2 will be made in US.

Otherwise an other option would be to offer a Model 3 station wagon, see video, what do you think?

Reactions: RainMeister
I am pretty sure, the Model Y don't need a roll over risk, warning label... look at this Model X roll over crash test:

Agree about rollover risk being the lowest for any SUV given the low center of gravity.

OP, search for the crash test videos (like the one above) for the MY, you’ll see it’s difficult to rollover. I think it got rated as the lowest or one of the lowest.

Currently own a 2018 Tesla Model 3 that was purchased Dec 2018.

I went to test drive the Model Y, and it had some differences.

When you drive Model Y and take your foot off the "accelerator / gas", the car seems to come to a complete stop on its own, like locking in place, putting the hold thing down itself. With the Model 3, the regen braking kicks in to slow you most the way, but you still have to press the brake at the very end to come to a complete stop.

It also had full self driving because it had traffic light icons on the left part of the screen (where the car icon is). But I didn't really get to try it out, I didn't want to fully trust a car to come to a complete stop at a traffic light at 50-60 mph. I feel I need a Tesla employee to show how this feature works.

But I like that the Tesla Model 3 can make quick turns without flipping over. Does Model Y have a higher risk of flipping over for it being an SUV? Or does its battery pack help give it a lower center of gravity and allow it to make sharper turns without flipping over? Every Mercedes SUV I driven will have a warning label on the window visor that has a warning about roll over risk, and a picture of a tilting SUV, but the Tesla Model Y didn't have that warning.

They let me test drive the Model Y alone. I was surprised they allow this, but once I was allowed to test drive a BMW i8 by myself few years ago. But they said b/c of COVID no employees are allowed to ride with test drivers.

Are there people out there who will still choose a Model 3 right now even with the option of a Model Y? I assumed you get more car with Model Y and they are about the same price. I may have chosen a Model Y if there was one in 2018, just because I can have more space to put stuff, especially snowboarding.

As others have said, the difference in coming to a stop is just due to the choice of setting being different on these two particular vehicles. What you notice as a difference in display is likely just due to a different software version. I own M3 and MY and will confirm that they handle differently. The MY isnt quite as peppy but it sure is more practical and rides higher. ps - from your photo i suspect you may live with Lagomorphs, as do I.

Just because it had traffic light icons does not mean it has FSD. It just means it had visualization. My Model Y does not have FSD but has the traffic light visualization, traffic cones, stop signs, trash cans,the works. But I did not pay 10K to have FSD enabled. I just have the basic autopilot.

I own both the 3 and the Y and also drive both every day, the Y has the bike rack and I take it out in the morning. Then in the afternoon I drive the model 3. The M3 sits lower and feels lighter with a lower wh/mi of around 245.

The model Y feels heavier and it rides much higher. With the heavy Gemini wheels the ride require an initial push to get it rolling forward and with the Signature wheels SV503 the Y moves effortlessly since these wheels are light at 19 Lbs each. The average wh/mi is 260 - 300.

I prefer the model 3 more as its feels sportier but they both handles very well at any speeds.

Fred

They are now introducing Enhanced Auto Pilot in China only at a price of $3500.00 with new purchases. EAP has the main features you would mostly use. I wouldn’t pay 10k today as FSD isn’t ready yet and the Main reason why not to get FSD is that you can not transfer it over to the next car. I am happy with Auto Pilot alone and if they go with the A LA Cart subscription I would only get Auto Lane Change.

Fred

I like the functionality of the Model Y and don't like the Model 3 space lost in the trunk because of the speaker platform under the rear window.

However I prefer the elongated shape of the model 3 to the bulbing shape of the Model Y.

I wish the Model 3 rear get a little bit redesigned and get a hatchback when the Model 3 will be updated with rear casting.

There is a MIC Model 2 hatchback on the way but I doubt it will be sold in US because of the import taxes, unless the M2 will be made in US.

Otherwise an other option would be to offer a Model 3 station wagon, see video, what do you think?

I think the MY is the M3 hatchback.

Reactions: Exelion and DanDi58
Does Model Y have a higher risk of flipping over for it being an SUV?

NHTSA rated it as a 7.9% chance of rollover, the lowest of any SUV/crossover ever tested. Rollover rating is 5 stars. Actually the MY is 5 stars all around. You can't get safer, statistically, than any other SUV/crossover on the road. Add in the built-in safety features and you simply can't do better right now.

2020 TESLA MODEL Y SUV AWD

Your Model 3 supports “hold” mode just like the Y. There are three modes for the setting: creep, roll, and hold. Hold is the default now I think, used to be roll. Hold was added like a year and a half ago. Always read the release notes that the car shows you after an update.

I just checked the menu screen. I saw 3 options and hold was there and now I have it on "hold".

Must have not checked that part of the menu for over a year. I got my Tesla Model 3 in Dec 31, 2018 so roll was probably the default at the time. I don't really read those release notes I probably skipped most of them thinking I'll just see the update when I drive. But maybe I will now.

I have a 2018 Model 3 and bought a Model Y last week.

Imo Model 3 is the better driving car. You can feel the extra weight on the Y, and the power feels like it bogs down from a stop. But once it's moving it is quick. I'm planning to get Acceleration Boost in the summer. That might fix that feeling. The Model Y is more comfortable for longer trips.

My wife is driving the Y. It's good for what it is, but I don't really care to drive it. I'm more on the car enthusiast side.

If cargo space or passenger / driver room space is not an issue, I think Model 3 is more fun to drive. But when I go snowboarding, all my stuff will fill the entire trunk, I dunno how I do it if I had to go with more people. Maybe Model X would be better if I had a family or went with people all the time.