Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

test drove 2021 model s plaid (comparison to modded model 3 performance)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like the car was traction limited if you feel the acceleration was the same as your M3P. My experience driving a plaid in damp conditions showed that it was on par with my P85DL... while under 50 mph or so. Above that was a different story as the plaid's acceleration is relentless.

I do think that the performance plus suspension was the best Tesla ever did, adaptive air included.
This was 100% the issue. The battery on my plaid can be cold and it still takes off harder at over 60 mph than my m3p did from 0 mph with a warm battery. With track mode on and traction control nerfed, you can launch the plaid and when you hit 40mph, it'll smoke the tires & leave a nice set of rubber pads on the pavement.

The plaid launches from 0 with roughly 400hp then ramps up to 1000hp between 40-60 mph. So you're not going to see an enormous advantage from 0-60ft times. Even full-on drag cars at the strip don't launch under full power, because 1) that's when most mechanical failures happen, and 2) it's very hard to get enough traction to make 1k+ hp stick to the pavement anyways.

The seats are stiffer because of the seat cooler, I'm assuming. Not sure, but they are significantly stiffer.
that would make sense however our volvo xc90 has cooled seats and extremely comfortable, I've sat in 2-3 new and used model S/plaid so far and they all seem to have a relatively firm seat base. It's a bummer because the rest of the seat is perfect in comfort.

Reactions: Sam1
This was 100% the issue. The battery on my plaid can be cold and it still takes off harder at over 60 mph than my m3p did from 0 mph with a warm battery. With track mode on and traction control nerfed, you can launch the plaid and when you hit 40mph, it'll smoke the tires & leave a nice set of rubber pads on the pavement.

The plaid launches from 0 with roughly 400hp then ramps up to 1000hp between 40-60 mph. So you're not going to see an enormous advantage from 0-60ft times. Even full-on drag cars at the strip don't launch under full power, because 1) that's when most mechanical failures happen, and 2) it's very hard to get enough traction to make 1k+ hp stick to the pavement anyways.
That's the feeling I got when I stomped on the plaid from standstill.. it's pretty similar up to 60mph as the model 3p and then it just keeps going. The fact that the plaid has a softer air suspension isolates the road feel alot and perhaps that also contributes to the lack of sensation of speed.

My M3P has full MPP suspension and lowered so you feel every pebble on the ground, so there is a much more direct translation of speed, more visceral.

kind of the same analogy as a gokart vs a regular car. The gokart may not be as fast as the car but the acceleration is more noticeable and visceral since you're like a couple inches off the ground.

Reactions: DonnyW and Sam1
that would make sense however our volvo xc90 has cooled seats and extremely comfortable, I've sat in 2-3 new and used model S/plaid so far and they all seem to have a relatively firm seat base. It's a bummer because the rest of the seat is perfect in comfort.

Yeah, hopefully they address it because after a 4-5 hour drive, it feels like you're been sitting on a park bench.

OK - you can buy a car for $55000 that does a sub 12 second 1/4 mile - that you can take to date night and drive cross country. A sub 12 second 1/4 mile ICE vehicle is either unobtainium today, or $150k and up and it lacks the road and daily driver manners of the M3P.

Sure the Plaid will eat the lunch of the M3P - but you still have $80000 in your pocket.

Take my money.

OK - you can buy a car for $55000 that does a sub 12 second 1/4 mile - that you can take to date night and drive cross country. A sub 12 second 1/4 mile ICE vehicle is either unobtainium today, or $150k and up and it lacks the road and daily driver manners of the M3P.

Sure the Plaid will eat the lunch of the M3P - but you still have $80000 in your pocket.

Take my money.
For that 80k, you can rent a Plaid on Tiro for months. I'll bet long before you spend the 80k, the thrill will wear off.

Then you can put the savings towards the next big thing or TSLA.

Reactions: comanchepilot
Written by a typical M3 driver with no actual
knowledge of performance cars and lack of differentiation between initial throttle response and actual acceleration 😀
So what vehicle that is presently available for sale [in stock at a dealer] you can buy that satisfies your criteria for under $60,000? Or even comes close?

Even better - what vehicles REGARDLESS of price - satisfy your criteria that maintain actual acceleration through 100mph? I.e., not throtttle response but actual sustained acceleration. Vehicles that are presently available on dealer lots - not some unobtanium only available to auto journalists and car company CEOs?

Reactions: Duke846
So what vehicle that is presently available for sale [in stock at a dealer] you can buy that satisfies your criteria for under $60,000? Or even comes close?

Even better - what vehicles REGARDLESS of price - satisfy your criteria that maintain actual acceleration through 100mph? I.e., not throtttle response but actual sustained acceleration. Vehicles that are presently available on dealer lots - not some unobtanium only available to auto journalists and car company CEOs?
No doubt M3P is a great vehicle at $60k. But some of us ( not CEOs and certainly not auto journos who write better than they drive) who have worked hard, been lucky and invested well and hence can afford full on dedicated performance cars and a Plaid certainly appreciate what our hard earned cash can buy.

No doubt M3P is a great vehicle at $60k. But some of us ( not CEOs and certainly not auto journos who write better than they drive) who have worked hard, been lucky and invested well and hence can afford full on dedicated performance cars and a Plaid certainly appreciate what our hard earned cash can buy.

With extensive personal experience with a plaid and M3P's, I can say the M3P is an awesome and fun car to drive, regardless if it is cheap or expensive. Other than the cheaper materials used for manufacturing, I would prefer it over the plaid if they can get it to hold its power beyond the 100mph mark. It doesn't need an excessive amount of power like the plaid, it just needs to have a similar power curve at a lower HP level and hold that HP lower into the SoC like the plaid as well.

If you are discounting an M3P solely because it's cheaper, you're approaching the situation incorrectly.

Reactions: comanchepilot
Written by a typical M3 driver with no actual
knowledge of performance cars and lack of differentiation between initial throttle response and actual acceleration 😀
Never owned a M3, but drove one. Also MX, MS Plaid.

See sig. Didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

BTW, the sentiment regarding Plaid was from two ''22 owners with 20k between them.

• Funny
Reactions: Sam1 and Duke846
Based on multiple high speed runs and after in depth convos with the owners, yes.

We all know that the top end of the plaid is superior.

But is it worth the 30-60k more? Personal choice.

Rent them on Turo, make your own decision.

Have you driven a model 3 performance?
Absolutely. A bit of initial thrust and then nothing. As a performance car quickly falls behind my ICE cars. It has a silly suspension - easily bump-steered off the the line on anything but the smoothest tarmac. Not possible to throttle steer - just pushes even in track mode.

It’s a fun daily driver with good tech but a bit rough. Doesn’t quite have the effortless feel and refinement of a MS for the daily drive.

Again - an excellent choice at the price and does everything quite well with its limits.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1100MCM