Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drove Model S for suspension comfort + discount offer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the issue is too - I grew up in Germany and didnt even know what bad roads were until I came to Australia. The average person who drives in middle europe and california doesnt know what a bad road is so of course adaptive suspension isnt gonna do anything haha.
Bring it over to Oklahoma. It will be good testing grounds. If you didn’t have a rattle, you will find several. 😂😂

Went to test drive a 2022 Model S LR. The main reason for this test drive was to feel the comfort level of the suspensions. I could not feel a major difference between comfort and sport in city streets. Anyone else have same opinion on this? Or perhaps I didn't have enough time to experience the comfort settings.

Advisor threw me an inventory offer for Model S that has been previously repaired. They mentioned it was involved in a light fender bender on test drive. Car was never registered and has less than 50 miles on the odo. There was a -$5400 discount on top. Anyone have experience buying a vehicle like this? She sent me repair cost was listed $25xx. I just don't know if this will show up on carfax?
$5400 discount on a wrecked brand new car is not good enough for me. It will always have a history of being wrecked. A full repair report, thats a good thing ... nothing hidden. You saw and drove it. Does it look good, can you see where they feathered and color matched, does it drive good? For me it would have to be a ridiculously good deal, it's worse than used.... its wrecked.

Last edited:
$5400 discount on a wrecked brand new car is not good enough for me. It will always have a history of being wrecked. A full repair report, thats a good thing ... nothing hidden. You saw and drove it. Does it look good, can you see where they feathered and color matched, does it drive good? For me it would have to be a ridiculously good deal, it's worse than used.... its wrecked.
since when was a $2000 repair job considered a wrecked car? lol

OP there absolutely nothing wrong with any repaired cars
as long as they did per specification

People get hang up on accident cars
As long as they're repaired per specification and full warranty.

Damage assessment very minor next to nothing touch up paint job.

Bottom line if you can some freebie or extended warranty added then I would go for it

First of all we are talking about Tesla Spec

And second of all 5k is too small or a discount for a repaired car.

I admit when I first looked at the invoice, the long list of items made me nervous. But, upon closer inspection, there are no part costs - only labor and paint. And the majority of the labor seems to be around buffing and paint retouching (if the invoice is to be believed).

If I were you, I'd inspect the exterior of the car very closely. If I am happy with the condition, I'd happily take the discount.

Oh and, I know many threads have mentioned the lack of difference b/w the various suspension settings. For me personally, I can DEFINITELY tell the difference. I experimented with various settings, and although I do enjoy the "soft" Ride Comfort, but it feels a bit "floaty" so my current setting is Ride Comfort to "firm" and Handling to "Sports".

Reactions: zoomer0056
I admit when I first looked at the invoice, the long list of items made me nervous. But, upon closer inspection, there are no part costs - only labor and paint. And the majority of the labor seems to be around buffing and paint retouching (if the invoice is to be believed).

If I were you, I'd inspect the exterior of the car very closely. If I am happy with the condition, I'd happily take the discount.

Oh and, I know many threads have mentioned the lack of difference b/w the various suspension settings. For me personally, I can DEFINITELY tell the difference. I experimented with various settings, and although I do enjoy the "soft" Ride Comfort, but it feels a bit "floaty" so my current setting is Ride Comfort to "firm" and Handling to "Sports".
The problem is the car is not local. It's in Vegas and I'm in Bay Area

Reactions: ElectricIAC
How much do you want it? If I am set on getting a new S anyway, and I am ok with everything else about this S in Vegas, I might just take a road trip to Vegas…

A few hundred dollars of investment for potentially thousands in savings, made easier by knowing exactly what I am looking for (exterior imperfections)…

Jeesh, a ticket on an airplane from SFO or SJC or OAK to LAS is what, $100 or so?

Buy a one-way ticket and go take a look at the car, and coordinate in advance to buy it upon arrival if it's satisfactory.

This isn't that hard.

If it is, then see if they'll send you some pictures, although that's a distant "second choice."

Take the four-figure savings and be happy!

Jeesh, a ticket on an airplane from SFO or SJC or OAK to LAS is what, $100 or so?

Buy a one-way ticket and go take a look at the car, and coordinate in advance to buy it upon arrival if it's satisfactory.

This isn't that hard.

If it is, then see if they'll send you some pictures, although that's a distant "second choice."

Take the four-figure savings and be happy!
Aren’t used and nearly new units (that don’t have damage disclosures) going for less?

Does that report show air bag deployment as well?

For $5400, I'd pass. But thats me.

Also, since it was never titled + repaired by Tesla, , slim chance it will show up on Carfax. And Ive sold many a clean car privately, with several having had a repainted panel or two. No private buyer ever used a paint guage. They test drove it, looked at it, checked carfax was clean, bought it.

Just my experience

If there’s a Carfax record, that will diminish the resale value. You’d think that if Tesla took care of it internally, there would be no Carfax but Carfax refuses to divulge where they get the information so it will be expensive later if one finds there is a actually Carfax record.

Carfax is a horrid little company that is in the business of selling Carfax reports, accuracy of the data on those reports is not much of a concern for them. The problem is many buyers will not touch a car with a Carfax report, they just move on to the next one that doesn’t.

If anyone tells you a Carfax damage report doesn’t affect the resale value of a car, they are dead wrong.

Also, Tesla USED to be REALLY generous with discounts on demos, minor damage, etc.
I had a $25k markdown on my 2017 SD that I had. It only had front bumper cover replacement and only had like, $2k miles on it. $25k markdown on the paperwork. This is also back when the referral program was generous, loaners were always Teslas, etc.

Those days are LONG gone.

Also, Tesla USED to be REALLY generous with discounts on demos, minor damage, etc.
I had a $25k markdown on my 2017 SD that I had. It only had front bumper cover replacement and only had like, $2k miles on it. $25k markdown on the paperwork. This is also back when the referral program was generous, loaners were always Teslas, etc.

Those days are LONG gone.
Yep. I think we just about ended up getting one of the last crazy markdown deals on a MX demo.