Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drove model y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2020 model 3 sr+ and am thinking about trading for model y. Test drove the y recently and the air conditioning took forever to cool the car do not have this issue at all in my model 3, could it just be the car I tested or is this an issue with model y?

It's the Model Y:

-Model Y's have a larger interior space due to being taller.

-Being taller also means the windshield, side glass, and rear trunk glass is larger, letting in more sun, and therefore, more heat.

-Model 3's have a physical solid separation between the trunk and the passenger compartment making the compartment smaller and easier to cool.

That being said, tinting all the glass pieces, especially the front side windows, (and the windshield) will help a lot, but will never be as easy to cool as the Model 3.

Last edited:
It could be that the one you drove has not had the internal temp sensors replaced. I had mine done on my windshield replacement. This is a known issue for a production time. My car is a '21 but produced in 2020. It takes about 30sec for the system to get in cold mode but once on it gets very cold very fast.

Side note I also have all side windows ceramic tinted.

Reactions: mf68859
I did a test drive of a used 2021 Y his past weekend in East Texas. At the beginning the A/C was on at 70 with low fan speed. I switched the A/C to Auto and the temperature went to low and the fan speed went to high. Also, turned on the vents for the passenger. The system seemed to work well.

Reactions: mf68859