Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drove RWD and P3D back to back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove the P3D and came home to order the AWD non-P. I didn’t even floor the P3D because LA traffic was so bad. This is usually when I’m driving. I don’t drive if I don’t have to go anywhere, and when I drive, it’s always in traffic.

If you have lots of open space and have room to get up to 90mph then go for the P3D. 65-70 is a luxury for me.

You missed the main part of driving a P3D :) I made my decision right after I floored the first time and then ofcourse I did another 6 times or so. Having said that AWD non-P is great too, wish I can test drive one.

Been just about a week or so since we have P3D's down here in socal for test drives. Tried both RWD and P3D back to back starting with RWD. I currently have a 2017 BMW X5 diesel with about 500 lb-ft of torque, although does not have a high HP, it takes off very quick from standstill and hence was used to the torque. I also recently drove a Lamborgini Huracan and Audi R8 in a race track, pushed them to about 140mph, love the handling of that R8 but Huracan has more power.

RWD:
0-20 on RWD starts modest, but once it crosses 20mph or so the full electric torque kicks in and you feel the punch. Handling was very good for a single motor, only drove less than 10 mins as I try P3D too.

P3D:
Coming out of the Tesla parking garage, I had the P3D in chill mode, this is the ideal mode when taking family around. Drove just 2 blocks and then switched to Sport mode and WOW the car came to life instantly. The acceleration is so instant, it felt as good (or better) than the feeling on Audi R8 (costs about twice as P3D). The punch from the torque is just so clean and stays as long as you press the pedal. If you have any doubt between AWD and P3D, just drive the P3D once and I guarantee you will have no more doubts. Right after the test drive, I upgraded (still have the mystery Edit button in my account) from AWD to P3D. The car is extremely composed (even at higher speeds) and the feel of steering wheel in Sports mode is incredible, better than my BMW actually. Steering and acceleration pedal response coordination is instant and spot on, like hand eye coordination when playing tennis. I did try a couple of 0-60 runs and in the first run it made me a little dizzy for a second and i had to take the foot off of the pedal :).

I cant wait to try with aftermarket 20" wheels and staggered tires (atleast 285 wide). Love the white seats, until yesterday white interior was my last choice, but the cushion on these 2nd gen seats are so damn good, they are again better than the Marino Individual leather in my BMW, paid $4k for that upgrade. Here is one quick clip of 0-60, sorry not the best quality.

View attachment 321436
Thanks for the review! Your review is of particular interest to me, as I've owned a 1st gen R8 V10 w/ Capristo exhaust (~540 hp), and recently drove a 2nd gen R8 V10 Plus (610 hp) briefly on a track. I've got a P3D on order, but have only driven a RWD Model 3, so I'm eager to compare the P3D to the R8 myself. P3D's 0-60 acceleration is supposed to be tween 1st and 2nd gen R8, so that'll be interesting. Can't wait!

Reactions: Ormond
Thanks for the review! Your review is of particular interest to me, as I've owned a 1st gen R8 V10 w/ Capristo exhaust (~540 hp), and recently drove a 2nd gen R8 V10 Plus (610 hp) briefly on a track. I've got a P3D on order, but have only driven a RWD Model 3, so I'm eager to compare the P3D to the R8 myself. P3D's 0-60 acceleration is supposed to be tween 1st and 2nd gen R8, so that'll be interesting. Can't wait!

P3D is a very capable sports car, in most day to day driving situation it will be as good as R8, but R8 will be better on a track especially when you push it hard cornering at very high speeds. I did that with R8 on a race track and almost thought i'm gonna tilt over and was prepared for it, but to my surprise the car handled it really well and I didn't dare to push it in the next lap :) I'm extremely impressed with P3D, obviously will know once I get it and spend few weeks taking through the canyons here in socal, I doubt I will be able to push to its limits :), the car is very composed and I drove with stock 20" wheels. I'm getting after market 20" wheels with 285 width tires, so handling should improve perhaps just a tad bit, and take a hit on the range.

Reactions: CrazyCoconut
I took a test drive in the P3D on Monday, and am extremely impressed by the total package this car offers. I got the chance to hit page mill road a bit and just cannot say enough good things about this car.

Handling was excellent, and didn't feel like it was on very low profile 20s, but this was the fully loaded dealer model in Red. You definitely felt the road but in a good way.

Acceleration was excellent all the way to 80. Higher tapered off a bit but I didn't push it much more than that. But even more than the raw power was the lack of drama. It was quiet, there wasn't any shifting or torque steer. The road noise did build up a bit at higher speeds however.

The drivers seat is well setup for a large person, as I am 6'5 and 300 lbs. I didn't feel cramped at all.

Brakes were also top shelf, stopping quickly with those pilot sport tires. The Saleswoman told me to get into a turn lane, then told me to fully stop, and make the sharp right at full throttle. I heard one chirp as the traction control kicked in at last, but it didn't really dampen my feeling of power or fun. The lack of understeer and the fierce road holding was impressive while accelerating from a dead stop to a full 90 degree angle.

The most entertaining moment was when getting back in my 2012 honda insight. I asked my wife " Should I floor it?" LOL the whole ICE experience seemed so last century. All this noise, tons of moving parts and eventually we got to 60. The difference was staggering though, totally cemented my decision to go on with my purchase despite the bumps that will come with it.

• Helpful
Reactions: boriszima