Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drove RWD and P3D back to back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been just about a week or so since we have P3D's down here in socal for test drives. Tried both RWD and P3D back to back starting with RWD. I currently have a 2017 BMW X5 diesel with about 500 lb-ft of torque, although does not have a high HP, it takes off very quick from standstill and hence was used to the torque. I also recently drove a Lamborgini Huracan and Audi R8 in a race track, pushed them to about 140mph, love the handling of that R8 but Huracan has more power.

RWD:
0-20 on RWD starts modest, but once it crosses 20mph or so the full electric torque kicks in and you feel the punch. Handling was very good for a single motor, only drove less than 10 mins as I try P3D too.

P3D:
Coming out of the Tesla parking garage, I had the P3D in chill mode, this is the ideal mode when taking family around. Drove just 2 blocks and then switched to Sport mode and WOW the car came to life instantly. The acceleration is so instant, it felt as good (or better) than the feeling on Audi R8 (costs about twice as P3D). The punch from the torque is just so clean and stays as long as you press the pedal. If you have any doubt between AWD and P3D, just drive the P3D once and I guarantee you will have no more doubts. Right after the test drive, I upgraded (still have the mystery Edit button in my account) from AWD to P3D. The car is extremely composed (even at higher speeds) and the feel of steering wheel in Sports mode is incredible, better than my BMW actually. Steering and acceleration pedal response coordination is instant and spot on, like hand eye coordination when playing tennis. I did try a couple of 0-60 runs and in the first run it made me a little dizzy for a second and i had to take the foot off of the pedal :).

I cant wait to try with aftermarket 20" wheels and staggered tires (atleast 285 wide). Love the white seats, until yesterday white interior was my last choice, but the cushion on these 2nd gen seats are so damn good, they are again better than the Marino Individual leather in my BMW, paid $4k for that upgrade. Here is one quick clip of 0-60, sorry not the best quality.

P3D-PUP.jpg

Been just about a week or so since we have P3D's down here in socal for test drives. Tried both RWD and P3D back to back starting with RWD. I currently have a 2017 BMW X5 diesel with about 500 lb-ft of torque, although does not have a high HP, it takes off very quick from standstill and hence was used to the torque. I also recently drove a Lamborgini Huracan and Audi R8 in a race track, pushed them to about 140mph, love the handling of that R8 but Huracan has more power.

RWD:
0-20 on RWD starts modest, but once it crosses 20mph or so the full electric torque kicks in and you feel the punch. Handling was very good for a single motor, only drove less than 10 mins as I try P3D too.

P3D:
Coming out of the Tesla parking garage, I had the P3D in chill mode, this is the ideal mode when taking family around. Drove just 2 blocks and then switched to Sport mode and WOW the car came to life instantly. The acceleration is so instant, it felt as good (or better) than the feeling on Audi R8 (costs about twice as P3D). The punch from the torque is just so clean and stays as long as you press the pedal. If you have any doubt between AWD and P3D, just drive the P3D once and I guarantee you will have no more doubts. Right after the test drive, I upgraded (still have the mystery Edit button in my account) from AWD to P3D. The car is extremely composed (even at higher speeds) and the feel of steering wheel in Sports mode is incredible, better than my BMW actually. Steering and acceleration pedal response coordination is instant and spot on, like hand eye coordination when playing tennis. I did try a couple of 0-60 runs and in the first run it made me a little dizzy for a second and i had to take the foot off of the pedal :).

I cant wait to try with aftermarket 20" wheels and staggered tires (atleast 285 wide). Love the white seats, until yesterday white interior was my last choice, but the cushion on these 2nd gen seats are so damn good, they are again better than the Marino Individual leather in my BMW, paid $4k for that upgrade. Here is one quick clip of 0-60, sorry not the best quality.

View attachment 321436
Thanks for the awesome review! Was there a significant ride quality and cabin noise difference between the two? Debating about the performance package with 20 inch wheels.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the awesome review! Was there a significant ride quality and cabin noise difference between the two? Debating about the performance package with 20 inch wheels.
Thanks in advance.

Not much cabin noise difference i would say, both were very quiet. Again I only spent max 30 mins in both combined and they felt great. As far as ride quality both are really good, but when you want to do spirited driving, P3D simply shines. The body roll on P3D will be noticeably better at higher speeds, but for most day to day driving RWD will be fine. Personally I would not go with the Performance package, as I like getting my own custom wheels and adding staggered tires, but to keep it simple performance package is worth it.

If you continue reading more in TMC forum, your wallet will eventually take a hit :)
I'm just hoping I'll last until the AWD start talking about how incredible it is, and how we don't need the P.

At the very least I'm hoping to last until people start tracking the P to see how what kind of lap times it can set without slowing down.

In my mind I see the P with the performance package as the track type car, and the regular AWD as being the really good performance normal street one.

It really comes down to the $16K question.

Reactions: DR61 and SoCalGuy
I'm just hoping I'll last until the AWD start talking about how incredible it is, and how we don't need the P.

At the very least I'm hoping to last until people start tracking the P to see how what kind of lap times it can set without slowing down.

In my mind I see the P with the performance package as the track type car, and the regular AWD as being the really good performance normal street one.

I think AWD will be good, but dont think we would get to "we dont need the P", not after you drive it once :) The handling part of AWD non-P will still be very good, but P will have an advantage of that instant acceleration. Majority of us who would end up buying P will not be tracking it, but just be going for the exceptionally quick acceleration. Having said that, I hoping Tesla would release non-P AWD for test drives soon.

Was the ride more harsh on the performance package? Still debating if I want the 18". We have now the RWD with 19", and the ride is somewhat stiff.

Not at all, the ride was very comfortable and sporty. We went through one or two rough surfaces and I barely felt anything. I think the 18" would be good for winter, for summer I would go 20" staggered.

• Helpful
Reactions: svp6

I'm in exactly the same boat

11K.

And $50 in free super charging per year will cover that in a little over two centuries. DO IT! ;)

11K.

And $50 in free super charging per year will cover that in a little over two centuries. DO IT! ;)

No, It's $16K because to really have a P3D you need the $5K in additional hardware. Where you either get the Tesla performance package or you get aftermarket stuff.

Just having additional straight line acceleration doesn't do much for me.

It really comes down to whether the track performance is worth the additional $16K. If it's not then the AWD is absolutely fine. I made the sensible decision with my current Tesla where I didn't get the P, and I've been perfectly happy with it.

So I can totally see myself doing the same thing again unless the P3D shows itself as being track worthy.

The free unlimited supercharging might tip the scales towards the P3D for some people. Sure it's doubtful that it saves more than a few hundred a year, but from what I've read most humans make a decision BEFORE coming up with ways to justify it.

I'm sure most of us have had almost laughable justifications for decisions we've made. Doing it for free supercharging wouldn't be the worst I've done.

But, hey.. At least I can make a decision.

I was on a date the other night, and when it came time for dessert she couldn't make a decision. So she actually asked the waiter to "surprise her".

No, It's $16K because to really have a P3D you need the $5K in additional hardware. Where you either get the Tesla performance package or you get aftermarket stuff.

So I can totally see myself doing the same thing again unless the P3D shows itself as being track worthy.

Correct, atleast $16k more and for some it will be way more than that with aftermarket wheels/tires, brakes etc.

Just having additional straight line acceleration doesn't do much for me.

It really comes down to whether the track performance is worth the additional $16K. If it's not then the AWD is absolutely fine. I made the sensible decision with my current Tesla where I didn't get the P, and I've been perfectly happy with it.

In this case, I suggest never test drive a P3D :), once you do there is a very good chance you will have your decision.

The free unlimited supercharging might tip the scales towards the P3D for some people. Sure it's doubtful that it saves more than a few hundred a year, but from what I've read most humans make a decision BEFORE coming up with ways to justify it.

This is a welcome news that came as a surprise and I will take all of it...

I test drove the P3D and came home to order the AWD non-P. I didn’t even floor the P3D because LA traffic was so bad. This is usually when I’m driving. I don’t drive if I don’t have to go anywhere, and when I drive, it’s always in traffic.

If you have lots of open space and have room to get up to 90mph then go for the P3D. 65-70 is a luxury for me.