Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drove Still Researching [whether to purchase a Model 3 performance or LR]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently test drove a model 3 performance and enjoyed the ride but I still am unsure of certain items.
When driving the car on the screen their was grayed out images of cars around me in traffic, is that feature part of autopilot or FSD?
I definitely would consider the dual motor but not sure if I would want LR or Performance, how did you decide between these?

I recently test drove a model 3 performance and enjoyed the ride but I still am unsure of certain items.
When driving the car on the screen their was grayed out images of cars around me in traffic, is that feature part of autopilot or FSD?
I definitely would consider the dual motor but not sure if I would want LR or Performance, how did you decide between these?

Do you want to go fast or faster? :D The Performance feels much quicker than a LR but a LR with acceleration boost will close the gap a bit. Performance also comes with better brakes (helps a lot with brake feel) and stickier tires. The only true differentiator is Track Mode (you can youtube it) and if you want that feature, the Performance is the only choice. If you don't really track the car, its harder decision.

The object detect is visible on all cars, even without FSD (so just the bundled Autopilot). If AP or your signal is on, those gray cars go red to indicate the target lane is not clear.

As for Performance vs AWD, I didn’t hesitate. For the price to have a car with 0-60 in 3.2s is completely amazing. There are very few production cars that can do it. Don’t you want that?

To the best of my knowledge, the images of cars (people, and animals) and lanes around you are included with the standard Autopilot, no need to get the FSD. I don't know about the traffic lights (and stop signs) though as stopping on traffic light is only available with the FSD.

Long Range provides plenty of oomph. Performance will have a harsher but faster ride, but most importantly (I think) the Performance gives you access to track mode manual optimizations. Unless I were in auto sports (and I am not in auto sports) I would stay with LR (which I do). If you are in auto sports, and plan on bringing the car to a track once in a while, then the performance model shall be your first choice.

If you plan to track the car (the kind of track that isn't just a straight line) the Performance gets you track mode and is well worth it for that- if you plan to do that get the P, end of story.
(then sell those boat anchor 20" wheels to some poor sucker and get some lightweight forged 18s)

Otherwise, get the LR. You can get the 18" wheels which are lighter, and less prone to pothole damage (and cheaper to replace tires on) and save some money while doing it. If you want quicker with the LR then for 2k the acceleration boost will get you halfway to the P for 1/4 the price difference.

The brakes make -zero- functional difference outside of a race track other than if you ever need work the parts cost more and the P brakes somewhat limit your aftermarket wheel options too. On a race track obviously they'll have some more fade resistance...and some folks prefer the "feel", but on the street they still stop you in exactly the same distance if you're on the same tires just as physics requires.

You do get sticker tires on the P- but the car isn't traction limited in the first place (neither is the P), and the 6-8k you saved on the LR will buy a lot of sets of tires.

There is an option in between the LR and Performance. You can purchase the LR, and then for $2000 extra get acceleration boost. It is available through the app after you take delivery. It will drop your 0-60 time from 4.2s to 3.7s. You would not get track package, or the bigger wheels, and lowered suspension, but if you don't want to pay for those items and are just looking for a little quicker than the standard LR, it's a good option.

I responded to a similar question in the UK forum. It really is quite simple, the Long Range gives you longer range and the Performance gives you greater performance. What is most important for you?

My M3P gives me a real world range of 200 miles but exceptional performance. That works for me. But would it work for you? Would you prefer 250 - 300 miles of range in the LR but a little less performance (sorry, don’t know real world range of the LR)?

Reactions: house9
I'm old enough to remember when a car that did 0-60 in 6 seconds was considered to be lightning fast. So, for me, 4.4 seconds in a M3LR is more than fast enough. Getting to 60mph 1.2 seconds faster just wasn't worth it. And regarding the better brakes in the performance version, well maybe you will need them in that version, but the brakes on the LR work great, even though I rarely use them thanks to the regenerative braking.

Reactions: eman2021 and house9
There is an option in between the LR and Performance. You can purchase the LR, and then for $2000 extra get acceleration boost. It is available through the app after you take delivery. It will drop your 0-60 time from 4.2s to 3.7s. You would not get track package, or the bigger wheels, and lowered suspension, but if you don't want to pay for those items and are just looking for a little quicker than the standard LR, it's a good option.

One clarification- Tesla tends to be less than honest with 0-60 times on P vs others.... since the days of the old P85 they've listed Performance cars with 0-60 including 1 foot rollout, and non-P cars without doing that.

This makes the non-P cars seem artificially slower than they really are in an apples to apples comparison.

LR AWD with boost runs 3.5 0-60 if you measure the same way that the P gets you ~3 flat (ie with rollout for both) and more like 3.7 and 3.2 if you exclude rollout from both.

By the same token LR AWD without boost runs 3.9 if you include rollout.

(above #s can be confirmed in various car mags and tons of draggy results from real owners)

Actually, here, I've got a chart.

LRAWD2.png

• Informative
Reactions: XPsionic
Wow such restraint I wish I has your will power
if I had only brought Tesla shares instead

When I went for a test drive it was more like.....

9e9.gif

Same here. I bought a new 1985 Camaro in that year, and ended up spending almost the price of the car in a couple of years, getting the 0-60 down to 6.2 sec. And I was one of the fastest in my circle of “hot rod” friends! Laughable today.

I would love to install a flux capacitor and go back to those days, trounce the friends/frenemys in that hot rod group (especially that smug corvette C4 owner) and then open the frunk to show.... nothing.. :)

One clarification- Tesla tends to be less than honest with 0-60 times on P vs others.... since the days of the old P85 they've listed Performance cars with 0-60 including 1 foot rollout, and non-P cars without doing that.

This makes the non-P cars seem artificially slower than they really are in an apples to apples comparison.

LR AWD with boost runs 3.5 0-60 if you measure the same way that the P gets you ~3 flat (ie with rollout for both) and more like 3.7 and 3.2 if you exclude rollout from both.

By the same token LR AWD without boost runs 3.9 if you include rollout.

(above #s can be confirmed in various car mags and tons of draggy results from real owners)

Actually, here, I've got a chart.

View attachment 723208
Is the HP figure just estimated based on the time + trap speed? The only numbers I could find related to HP say the P is in the 480-500 range.

As for Performance vs AWD, I didn’t hesitate. For the price to have a car with 0-60 in 3.2s is completely amazing. There are very few production cars that can do it. Don’t you want that?

I decided that, no, I had no real use for it since I didn't intend to track it. I'd rather have a car that is still very fast, but which doesn't have the wheel/tire/clearance problems that the P does, has better range, and saves me five figures.

Reactions: house9
focher:

“As for Performance vs AWD, I didn’t hesitate. For the price to have a car with 0-60 in 3.2s is completely amazing. There are very few production cars that can do it. Don’t you want that?”
—————
Same here. Wasn’t even a question for me.

Reactions: focher
I decided that, no, I had no real use for it since I didn't intend to track it. I'd rather have a car that is still very fast, but which doesn't have the wheel/tire/clearance problems that the P does, has better range, and saves me five figures.
Wheel/tire/clearance problems that the P has? What problems are those? I ask because I have never had any of those problems on my P.

Wheel/tire/clearance problems that the P has? What problems are those? I ask because I have never had any of those problems on my P.
Same. When I read that I assumed he was referring to some people that have had issues with large potholes damaging the wheels and/or potentially some challenge in finding all season tires for the wheels. With the stock configuration there are no clearance issues that I've experienced.