Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drove Still Researching [whether to purchase a Model 3 performance or LR]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Performance model had bigger calipers so were incompatible with the stock 18s and had a limited selection of 18 inch wheels that could fit when it was first released. Now, there are many many choices so its not much of an issue. Sure the stock 18 aeros don't fit but most that go down to 18 inch from the 20s want a better aftermarket solution.

The Performance model had bigger calipers so were incompatible with the stock 18s and had a limited selection of 18 inch wheels that could fit when it was first released. Now, there are many many choices so its not much of an issue. Sure the stock 18 aeros don't fit but most that go down to 18 inch from the 20s want a better aftermarket solution.
Oh OK. Well, that's not a problem for me. I don't want my wheel well to look half empty on 18's...

focher:

“As for Performance vs AWD, I didn’t hesitate. For the price to have a car with 0-60 in 3.2s is completely amazing. There are very few production cars that can do it. Don’t you want that?”
—————
Same here. Wasn’t even a question for me.
Went P two months ago. Since then I have not once wished that I had the cash that makes the price difference between the P and LR in my bank account. I turn over cars ever 15 years or so. So, I wanted to maximize what I have now to ride me into the future.

I still have my old car. And I always planned to drive it once a week to keep it in good condition. I'm having a hard time living up to that commitment.

There are no clearance issues or wheel issues or ride harshness issues. I think that's what some people who got the LR and considered the P tell themselves.

Have all the capability that you can. If you change your order now, you'll get your P sooner.

I'll chime in and join the "I went with the P and have no regrets" bandwagon. One thing to consider when comparing the two variants is the resale. Although the P cost more initially, it will also be worth more down the road. So it isn't necessarily totally sunk cost. That being said, I wanted the fastest variant available, and something that I could potentially take to a track day - so the P was the obvious choice. If I were to recommend one to a friend or family member, especially if budget was a consideration, I wouldn't hesitate to say the LR is a great choice.

Here is why I went with an LR even though I could afford a P:
  • 18 inch wheels - here in the Northeast we have lots of bad roads and potholes. The 20 inch wheels on the P are just asking for bent rims
  • 'the P is faster'. True, but the LR is still quicker/faster than almost everything else on the road. I spend most of my time on 55 mph roads going 45 behind slow drivers anyway. Maybe I will get the 2k performance boost at some point but for now I can't even use the performance that I have
  • brakes - perhaps the P brakes are better, but the LR brakes are good enough. In practice I don't use the brakes much anyway - mostly when regen is mysteriously limited by the Tesla gods
  • the P is 'lowered' - not by enough to matter since the model 3 has a very low center of gravity anyway
  • cosmetics - I didn't care about fancy foot pedals or a spoiler
  • range - don't underestimate the value of range

I'll throw in my 2c here since I test drove both recently, and we picked up our M3P yesterday:

• Acceleration: The P's quicker acceleration is mostly at lower speeds. From a near stop I definitely felt it. On the highway, driven a few days apart, I couldn't tell much difference. How much the extra low-speed acceleration matters is really up to you. Personally this is just a side benefit, the LR is quick enough for me and I wouldn't pay the whole P premium just for the extra acceleration. Your preferences may vary!

• Handling: I'm pretty sure there's no meaningful difference here, besides the P coming with stickier tires. Driven on the same roads a few days apart, the differences I felt seemed in line with the wheel+tire difference, nothing more. So yes the P suspension is lower, but I don't think it's any better, it's just different for looks.

• Ride quality: Same as handling, the difference seemed right in line with the wheel+tire difference, nothing more.

• Brakes: I'm a sucker for bigger and better-feeling brakes, so this was a selling point for me. I recall pedal feel being a little better on the M3P we tested than the M3LR, but the M3LR brake feel was fine as I recall, I've owned cars with spongier brakes. I didn't test truly hard braking, but I'm pretty sure the ABS and EBD (brake distribution) systems are the same between the cars, otherwise Tesla would advertise those differences.

So unless you're going to track the car, or go truly crazy on the street (please don't), I doubt there is any functional benefit to the P's bigger brakes. The LR's brakes are perfectly fine. On an EV you should do almost all your braking using regen anyways, unless you want *sugar* for range. Front brake pads on our 2013 S P85 lasted 120k+ miles, rear brakes are still going strong, and that's an even heavier car with comparable power.

• Wheels: The P's wheels are for show. All OE Model 3 wheels are the same width, and they're all cast (not forged). The P's wheels are just big in diameter, so big that the stock P tires are 235/35 rubberbands, leaving little protection for the wheels. Our Model S P85 came with a similar setup, 245/35R21, and while it looked great it was functionally terrible. Tires wore out fast and wheels cracked, and I had to fight Tesla to get the cracked wheels covered under warranty. We downsized to smaller Tesla OE wheels and never looked back - no more cracked wheels, and usefully more tire life even in the same category of tires.

• Tires: The P does come with higher performance tires. Too bad they're rubberband-thin and stretched on the stock wheels. Don't buy the P for this, just buy the tires you want.

• Track Mode: Here be the goods! As far as I know, you cannot upgrade your way into Track Mode with an LR, you must buy a P. (Maybe the aftermarket will find a way someday. ;-)

In my case I want "Track Mode" for the snow. In my last AWD car I could manually adjust center diff lockup and fully disable stability control, and those were wonderful things for driving in the snow, whether driving through storms or just hooning around. I wish Tesla made those settings always-accessible instead of burying them in Track Mode, but that is what it is, so Track Mode I want.
In summary, I got the P primarily for Track Mode, and secondarily for the bigger brakes even though I admit they're of no benefit on the street. The acceleration boost is a nice side benefit, but the LR is quick enough for me. The P's wheels and lower suspension I actively dislike.

In my one (1) day of M3P ownership so far I don't regret in getting the P. 😁 That said, while shopping for smaller wheels I did get a little angry about the OE 20s and the stepped hub situation...but I'll be over that once my 18s arrive!

Reactions: BnGrm
Btw if I sound down on the P, I just wish it had a bit more. Like more seat bolstering + grippier seat material, and a truly upgraded suspension. But I know Tesla is generally more about big power/acceleration, big wheels, and software features. This is my 2nd Tesla and I've come to accept that. :) I'm still really glad I got the P, I can't imagine I'll regret the $7k over the LR (price diff when I purchased).

LR is clearly the better buy though unless you really want track mode.

Just looks like too much rubber and not enough wheel for me...2 years in and zero damage on my 20s!
Sure. You are in Texas. You don't have the brutal winters, frost heaves, potholes and you probably never heard of "spring thaw" prohibitions on heavy trucks. Come to Wisconsin in April and you would change your mind about the 20s.

I envy your roads.

• Wheels: The P's wheels are for show. All OE Model 3 wheels are the same width, and they're all cast (not forged).

FYI, for '21, the 18 and 19" wheels are still 8.5" wide, but the new 20" Uberturbines are actually 9" wide (up from 8.5" for previous performance 20" wheels).

It's one reason the OEM 235/35 tire looks a bit stretched, it's a touch undersized for that size wheel (it really should have the same 245/35 that comes on the optional performance Zero G 20" wheels ...)

Went P two months ago. Since then I have not once wished that I had the cash that makes the price difference between the P and LR in my bank account.

This was my situation, I didn't want to play the woulda/shoulda game in my head for the next few years, and I was certain I wouldn't have any financial regrets, that money is done and done, and I love the car.

Reactions: tm1v2
FYI, for '21, the 18 and 19" wheels are still 8.5" wide, but the new 20" Uberturbines are actually 9" wide (up from 8.5" for previous performance 20" wheels).

It's one reason the OEM 235/35 tire looks a bit stretched, it's a touch undersized for that size wheel (it really should have the same 245/35 that comes on the optional performance Zero G 20" wheels ...)
Ohhh...that does explain it, thank you!! I must be still finding old specs online. Wish Tesla would publish a proper spec page.

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
If you did back to back, you would definitely know. The LR is missing this violent kick when you launch it from 0.
Agreed. My LR and P test drives were a few days apart, and I easily felt the difference from low speeds.

From highway speeds I couldn't really tell any difference though.

LR is no slouch. Felt comparable to my S P85.