Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drove the Model Y, Model 3 and the Mach E back to back to back, yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This recent range/efficiency test of a Tesla Long Range Model Y and the Ford Mustang Extended Ranger AWD Mach-E:
Ford Vs Tesla: Crossover Range War

In this test the Long Range Model Y traveled approximately 230ish miles on a full charge; The Mustang Mach-E traveled 260ish miles on a full charge. The Extended Range Mustang Mach-E 's battery pack has a usable capacity of 88kWh; the Tesla Model Y just 75kWh (15% less than the Extended Range Mach-E.) Not that it would made much difference but the wheels, tires and tire pressure of the Model Y were not noted. The tester did not note if the Tesla Model Y's battery pack was preconditioned before starting the test.

In 2020 a Tesla Long Range Model Y 70 MPH highway range test in warmer weather was perfomed, on the East Coast with fewer elevation changes. The 2020 Tesla Long Range Model Y with the 20" Induction wheels was able to travel slightly more than 280 miles.

It would be interesting to rerun the West Coast range test once the weather warms another 20F.

I give credit to Ford for returning pretty accurate real-world range numbers. However, wheels and tires make a huge difference on EVs. On our Model S, downsizing from 21" OEM to 19" OEM wheels netted a 12.5% improvement in range (over 35 more miles). The MY in Alex's comparison has the larger and wider 20" Induction wheels/tires whereas the Ford has much smaller/slimmer tires.

Even with the smaller battery, due to the efficiency advantage, a MY with 19" Geminis should easily match (or exceed) the MME's real-world range...especially in 60-70 F degree weather from the video.

Tesla did the same initially while they gather data. Nothing wrong with being conservative initially with their charging curves. I'm sure they'll get an OTA in the future when the engineers feel more confident in the battery pack.

Our 2013 Model S still charges at 24 kW at 80%, approx same size usable battery as MME, the supercharging network wasn't available until 2014 (in Canada) and the S charged at 24 kW at 80% based on charge curves published 7 years ago... Ford is absolutely being conservative, but FAR more conservative than Tesla was 7 years ago.

Reactions: pt19713
We are looking for a new car for my wife. We decided to buy our first EV. We visited our daughter and and we’re able to test drive both Teslas while there. On our the way home we were able to stop at a Ford dealer who had a Mach E available for test drives.

We drove the model Y first, white with black interior. We then drove the model 3, Blue with white interior. She mainly drove them, but I did get a chance to drive both on the way back to the dealer. My car history is heavy on performance. Multiple BMW M cars and pure gas guzzling sports cars (Dodge Viper ACR, etc.). I love the tech of the EVs as well as the insane straight line power. I was curious about the handling/cornering. I was pleasantly surprised by the Teslas. Obviously the Model 3 handled better than the Model Y due to the sedan vs SUV aspect. We liked how both rode, drove and handled. We also loved the tech loaded into both. The center screens are large and bright. They are integrated into the dash well (to the eye). The software was quick and relatively intuitive (especially if you use a smartphone/IPad). The interiors are clean and sleek, as everyone already knows.

The Mach E was black with black interior. It was the AWD version. The interior is more traditional with the drivers cluster and more switches and knobs. The center screen is in portrait orientation. It sadly looks like they glued an IPad to the dashboard. It just stuck out visually (something my wife also noted. The seats in the Mach E were the most comfortable. Rear legroom was surprisingly ample. The trunk/hatch was minuscule compared to the Model Y. We have a daughter who uses a wheelchair, so we gauge adequate truck/rear space by the ability to put the chair in. The Y, no problem putting the chair in upright. The Model 3 on its side. The Mach E we would have to remove the wheels and collapse the chair. I had more rear space in my M6. Driving/handling/ride of the Mach E was very comparable to the two Teslas. I fully understand that these cars won’t handle like a Viper, but they are pleasant to drive. The acceleration of the Mach E was anemic. Both Teslas destroy it in that department. The outside aesthetics go to the Mach E, IMO. It is a damn nice looking car. Not that the Y or 3 is ugly, just different. They definitely were using the lines of the Mustang to attract traditionalists. They got that one correct.

It was great to be able to drive these on the same day all in a row. In all honesty I was leaning towards the Mustang (especially with all of the hype and reviews), so much so that I had a deposit on one. And remember, I have no brand loyalty or predisposition to any maker. Well, this morning I contacted the dealer about getting a refund. Once that happens and my wife is ready we will be ordering a LR Model Y for her.

A side note, I wanted to sit in a Model S to see what the seat position is liked and there were none on the lot. Once my lease is up in a year I will most likely be getting the S. I’ll wait until later in the year for the Plaid version to be on the lot to drive and then decide between it and the + version.
Thanks for the honest review. I test drove the Mach-E and MY recently and I really enjoyed the Mach-E. Just like you I prefer the exterior styling and I really liked the interior of the Mach-E. Acceleration was fast and comparable to the MY. I did feel the MY was quicker when accelerating from 60 to 85 mph; it was just such a thrill! But I wasn't too fond of the interior unfortunately. I love the tech (I'm a nerd) but the minimalistic look isn't really for me. I am ready to put a deposit down on one car and am really torn. I'll hardly use the Supercharger network, never do road trips. The Mach-E is Ford's first real long range EV which worries me. They both have great warranties as well. I've been following Tesla since they started so I'm biased towards them but can't get over the interior. Going for another MY test drive soon with my wife to see her thoughts as well.

The Model Y AWD walks it pretty good at all speeds. Mach E is definitely slower and not really that close.
Yeah, the Mach-E owners think the LR Y and ER AWD Mach-E are close in acceleration but they don't realize the 4.8s time Tesla uses for the Y is without the rollout. I've seen the Mach-E 0-60 times varying from 4.8 to 5.2 and that's with the rollout. Regardless, the extra weight on the Mach-E doesn't help.

The Mach E has Apple play, if that is important to anyone. My Tesla M3 does not, but I love the car anyway.
What does apple play offer in the MME? I often thought it was a crutch for latency car companies to rely on someone else to make a good user experience rather than building their own. I felt that Tesla does a great job with the UI so owner do not have to rely on using a 3party product.

Reactions: AhwatukeeDad
What does apple play offer in the MME? I often thought it was a crutch for latency car companies to rely on someone else to make a good user experience rather than building their own. I felt that Tesla does a great job with the UI so owner do not have to rely on using a 3party product.
Waze on a big screen would be nice.

The ones through websites aren't as good (no cop notifications).

Reactions: designrs
Thanks for the honest review. I test drove the Mach-E and MY recently and I really enjoyed the Mach-E. Just like you I prefer the exterior styling and I really liked the interior of the Mach-E. Acceleration was fast and comparable to the MY. I did feel the MY was quicker when accelerating from 60 to 85 mph; it was just such a thrill! But I wasn't too fond of the interior unfortunately. I love the tech (I'm a nerd) but the minimalistic look isn't really for me. I am ready to put a deposit down on one car and am really torn. I'll hardly use the Supercharger network, never do road trips. The Mach-E is Ford's first real long range EV which worries me. They both have great warranties as well. I've been following Tesla since they started so I'm biased towards them but can't get over the interior. Going for another MY test drive soon with my wife to see her thoughts as well.
When I was looking at the 3 I honestly hated the inside. It was 4 seats and an iPad. Well fast forward and now I get in any other car ( wife has a Mercedes) and I get Tesla. They got rid of all the crap you don’t need. You understand why they are more of a technology company, they think so much smarter. I now detest the tired boring interior mentality of other car companies. If the MME was available a year ago I could easily have fallen into the “traditional “ trap.

Exactly, one of my favorite things about this car is that I’m no longer relying on my iPhone for nav. CarPlay has its own issues and doesn’t always work well - plus, sometimes It’s silly to plug a fully charged phone back in. Crazy how Apple never incorporated a “data only” and “data+power” control.

Reactions: Darmie
Exactly, one of my favorite things about this car is that I’m no longer relying on my iPhone for nav. CarPlay has its own issues and doesn’t always work well - plus, sometimes It’s silly to plug a fully charged phone back in. Crazy how Apple never incorporated a “data only” and “data+power” control.
CarPlay is now wireless. Sometimes, other companies come up with really good ideas that others can incorporate. Tesla’s system is inferior to CarPlay. Elon thinks he can do everything better - wants to be vertically integrated. It doesn’t always work.

When I was looking at the 3 I honestly hated the inside. It was 4 seats and an iPad. Well fast forward and now I get in any other car ( wife has a Mercedes) and I get Tesla. They got rid of all the crap you don’t need. You understand why they are more of a technology company, they think so much smarter. I now detest the tired boring interior mentality of other car companies. If the MME was available a year ago I could easily have fallen into the “traditional “ trap.
I think why would you need all the knobs/bottons? All functions which a driver needs to operate (while driving) should be voice-activated as this is the safest way.

CarPlay is now wireless. Sometimes, other companies come up with really good ideas that others can incorporate. Tesla’s system is inferior to CarPlay. Elon thinks he can do everything better - wants to be vertically integrated. It doesn’t always work.
I also like CarPlay but I’m willing to wait for V11. We can revisit the topic then. My guess is it will look a bit old at that point.

CarPlay is only wireless in brand new cars.. before that only BMW offered it. Wireless CarPlay is a step in the right direction though...

Tesla’s Linex based system is not inferior to CarPlay. If you think CarPlay is better then the native Tesla interface I’d advise you to reconsider why. CarPlay is extremely limited and messes up with every iOS update. Come on bro!

fwiw, Elon has more going on in his left pinky finger then 5 Apple engineers have in their whole bodies! Anybody from Apple launching rockets into space lately? Or powering homes with solar? Nope.
CarPlay in a Tesla is step backward if you ask me. To each their own.

I stopped into see the Ford Mustang Mach E and here they only had the lowest range version. The 300mile range version is what Ford sells as the California 1 Trim and the salesman said it isn't available outside California. Seems dumb decision to me if true. All the Mustang models have lower range rating with similar batteries due to lower efficiency compared to the Tesla. For example if your 98KWH battery is correct, it would compare to my Model S 100KW battery which is rated for 402 miles at 100 KWH.

As far as the debate on real world numbers, that is unscientific comparison since the testing has no standards of measurement. A guy like Kyle Conner of Out of Spec Motoring never gets rated miles range because he has a lead foot and travels mostly at 85 to 90 mph with a roof rack on his performance M3 and non standard tires. By comparison, I drive for range at posted speed limits and keep the tires pumped to pressure and watch my energy meter so I do better than EPA. Once I achieved 430 miles range last summer. But choosing to do a battery full with speed it only got 340 miles range. So real world is not representative and can be anything the writer wants to make it.

I think the Mach E is prettier than the Tesla MY but that is just opinion. I also prefer the better engineering and efficiency of the Tesla over the Mustang Mach E.
If you go to the Ford website, you can order a California Rt 1 anywhere in the US.

CarPlay is only wireless in brand new cars.. before that only BMW offered it. Wireless CarPlay is a step in the right direction though...

Tesla’s Linex based system is not inferior to CarPlay. If you think CarPlay is better then the native Tesla interface I’d advise you to reconsider why. CarPlay is extremely limited and messes up with every iOS update. Come on bro!

fwiw, Elon has more going on in his left pinky finger then 5 Apple engineers have in their whole bodies! Anybody from Apple launching rockets into space lately? Or powering homes with solar? Nope.
CarPlay in a Tesla is step backward if you ask me. To each their own.
Agree to disagree. I’ve never had an issue with CarPlay. Get to take my apps and info with me car to car (including rentals). Waze, Google Maps, ABRP, PlugShare, messaging, music - all portable.

and - I’m not sure Elon is in the shop designing Tesla’s entertainment system (anymore, at least). Video games on you car screen? You can have it - not interested.

To each their own.

Agree to disagree. I’ve never had an issue with CarPlay. Get to take my apps and info with me car to car (including rentals). Waze, Google Maps, ABRP, PlugShare, messaging, music - all portable.

and - I’m not sure Elon is in the shop designing Tesla’s entertainment system (anymore, at least). Video games on you car screen? You can have it - not interested.

To each their own.
If you want to use Apple apps in your Tesla just get TeslaMirror. You’re welcome.