Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drove the Model Y, Model 3 and the Mach E back to back to back, yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been waiting for years for the right time to buy my first EV. Was able to grab an SR Model Y. Didn't want to wait another 6 months or more, which is what would be required to get a Mach E or ID.4 or Ioniq. All those cars are just now coming to market or soon. They're all first copies rolling off the line. While I trust their manufacturers to build quality cars, even if they were ICE there's the worry of too many "first year" issues. Tesla has sold 100's of thousands for these cars. Even though their build quality has some complaints, they have a large set of data about their builds, a large knowledge base.

CarPlay. I drove the Mach-E. CarPlay was nice on it. Had it on my old car. Less than two weeks in with my Tesla and I can see the advantages of not having it. While the phone integration may have fewer features than CarPlay, it doesn't look like an after-thought. It's all nice an integrated into the total experience / user interface of the car.

I'm honestly not at all impressed with Tesla's infotainment or navigation. For such a supposedly high tech car.. it feels dated. Yes there's a huge 15" screen.. but the navigation software is sorely lacking compared to popular apps like Waze, Google Maps and hell even Apple Maps. Then there are the weak audio sources.. really Slacker radio & Spotify premium? Who gets excited over either one of those? Almost everything I've listened too over the past 10 years has been a mix of Podcasts, iHeart Radio, Pandora, Audible, Google Music, Apple Music, Youtube Music and Sirius XM. Hell there is now even support for WhatsApp, Zoom & Microsoft Teams in CarPlay.. and they all have dedicated apps that work beautifully on the cars touch screen.. which extremely important as this is way most of us now attend meetings and share with coworkers as we have adjusted to working from home.

While I do enjoy the other facets of the Tesla experience.. especially the way the vehicle drives. Needing to pick up my phone to attempt to do any of the stuff I listed above over a Bluetooth connection feels like going 10 steps backwards.. forget 2 steps. It feels like I'm back to use the AUX port again. Because thats essentially what BT connected audio is like. And while I would honestly prefer for Tesla to just stop BS'ing.. and just finally add CarPlay through an OTA update. At a minimum Tesla needs to offer a 3rd party App Store so that the above apps can atleast have a real chance of landing some space on that 15" real estate. Hell when I think about it.. the best navigation app for a Tesla is ABRP.. thanks to the custom routing/driving/charging features.. and ironically.. its also available on CarPlay lol.

Finally making phone calls, conferencing or switching calls and receiving/replying/sending text messages in a Tesla also feels dated. Way too many clicks to do these things that are much better laid out on CarPlay.. thanks to big colorful icons which are much easier to see/touch while driving.. even on a tiny 7" screen like what was in my CRV. Being able to use Siri (or OK Google for the Android Auto people) is also sorely missed as I could do things like tell it to "open the garage door".. instead I have to pay Tesla $300 for a garage door opener that should have honestly been included with the vehicle. Did I even mention if you have a smart garage door opener.. CarPlay will automatically show an icon on the dashboard to open/close the door and give a status.. and its costs absolutely nothing to add. Siri/OKGoogle also great for using other home automation features like telling your smart home to turn off all the lights or turn on the alarm.. again something I now have to pick my up while driving to do.

Also for the person complaining about having to plug-in a phone to use CarPlay on older vehicles. There is an extremely popular $120 wireless adapter that plugs into the USB port and works amazingly well at converting any wired CarPlay connection.. to a wireless one. I've used it my old 2018 Honda CR-V (traded it for the Model Y) and my wife's 2018 Atlas and its one of those things that works so amazingly well.. you wonder why the manufactures just dont offer it straight from the factory.

Last edited:
I'm honestly not at all impressed with Tesla's infotainment or navigation. For such a supposedly high tech car.. it feels dated. Yes there's a huge 15" screen.. but the navigation software is sorely lacking compared to popular apps like Waze, Google Maps and hell even Apple Maps. Then there are the weak audio sources.. really Slacker radio & Spotify premium? Who gets excited over either one of those? Almost everything I've listened too over the past 10 years has been a mix of Podcasts, iHeart Radio, Pandora, Audible, Google Music, Apple Music, Youtube Music and Sirius XM. Hell there is now even support for WhatsApp, Zoom & Microsoft Teams in CarPlay.. and they all have dedicated apps that work beautifully on the cars touch screen.. which extremely important as this is way most of us now attend meetings and share with coworkers as we have adjusted to working from home.

While I do enjoy the other facets of the Tesla experience.. especially the way the vehicle drives. Needing to pick up my phone to attempt to do any of the stuff I listed above over a Bluetooth connection feels like going 10 steps backwards.. forget 2 steps. It feels like I'm back to use the AUX port again. Because thats essentially what BT connected audio is like. And while I would honestly prefer for Tesla to just stop BS'ing.. and just finally add CarPlay through an OTA update. At a minimum Tesla needs to offer a 3rd party App Store so that the above apps can atleast have a real chance of landing some space on that 15" real estate. Hell when I think about it.. the best navigation app for a Tesla is ABRP.. thanks to the custom routing/driving/charging features.. and ironically.. its also available on CarPlay lol.

Finally making phone calls, conferencing or switching calls and receiving/replying/sending text messages in a Tesla also feels dated. Way too many clicks to do these things that are much better laid out on CarPlay.. thanks to big colorful icons which are much easier to see/touch while driving.. even on a tiny 7" screen like what was in my CRV. Being able to use Siri (or OK Google for the Android Auto people) is also sorely missed as I could do things like tell it to "open the garage door".. instead I have to pay Tesla $300 for a garage door opener that should have honestly been included with the vehicle. Did I even mention if you have a smart garage door opener.. CarPlay will automatically show an icon on the dashboard to open/close the door and give a status.. and its costs absolutely nothing to add. Siri/OKGoogle also great for using other home automation features like telling your smart home to turn off all the lights or turn on the alarm.. again something I now have to pick my up while driving to do.

Also for the person complaining about having to plug-in a phone to use CarPlay on older vehicles. There is an extremely popular $120 wireless adapter that plugs into the USB port and works amazingly well at converting any wired CarPlay connection.. to a wireless one. I've used it my old 2018 Honda CR-V (traded it for the Model Y) and my wife's 2018 Atlas and its one of those things that works so amazingly well.. you wonder why the manufactures just dont offer it straight from the factory.
Completely agree. BTW the "open the garage door" button is a sweet feature!

Reactions: tierneyalvin
CarPlay is only wireless in brand new cars.. before that only BMW offered it. Wireless CarPlay is a step in the right direction though...

Tesla’s Linex based system is not inferior to CarPlay. If you think CarPlay is better then the native Tesla interface I’d advise you to reconsider why. CarPlay is extremely limited and messes up with every iOS update. Come on bro!

fwiw, Elon has more going on in his left pinky finger then 5 Apple engineers have in their whole bodies! Anybody from Apple launching rockets into space lately? Or powering homes with solar? Nope.
CarPlay in a Tesla is step backward if you ask me. To each their own.
For those of you that desperately want CarPlay in your Tesla, just download TeslaMirror. It’s an app that lets you mirror your iPhone to the display. It works while the car is in D, don’t worry about the product description- that’s just them CTA.

Reactions: mrwug
For those of you that desperately want CarPlay in your Tesla, just download TeslaMirror. It’s an app that lets you mirror your iPhone to the display. It works while the car is in D, don’t worry about the product description- that’s just them CTA.
can you interact with the Tesla touchscreen to control the phone or do you still have to use the phone and it just mirrors it to the larger screen.

can you interact with the Tesla touchscreen to control the phone or do you still have to use the phone and it just mirrors it to the larger screen.
I have no idea. I’ve only used it show photos or play iOS games with an Xbox controller. I doubt that it allows the touch screen to function in that way. I’ll try that next time I use it. It’s not intended to be a CarPlay replacement, more a screen capture mirror.

Reactions: Apprunner
I agree with most of what you said but have to offer a counterpoint to your "amazingly well" claim about the wireless CarPlay dongles. Not saying your experience is fabricated. But I have one of those adapters and wouldn't call it amazing. It does a decent job most of the time. But it's not something that just works. Occasionally the phone will fail to connect and you have to unplug and replug to reboot the adapter. When it's working sometimes the screen response will get very sluggish or delayed and appear to freeze. Sometimes it actually does. The worst part is using it for navigation. It lags behind where you are. I've overshot my destination a few times. I'll look at the street then look at the screen and know that they're out of sync. Never notice that on the same system with a direct connection.

Thanks for pointing that out. Too bad I wasted $5.99 on that app before reading this.

What makes CarPlay so wonderful.. is that once its connected you pretty much never need to actually touch your phone. Anything that requires me to pick up my phone to complete a task.. is going backwards. Its amazing how many Tesla owners still have no idea how CarPlay really works.

Its amazing how many Tesla owners still have no idea how CarPlay really works.
It is amazing how many Tesla owners still have no idea how Amazon Alexa really works. When you have the Echo Auto installed you get fully voice enabled Alexa for your ride. "Alexa, navigate to home." (works with Google Maps, Waze and Apple Maps). "Alex, call the dentist", "Alexa, play Classic Rock on SiriusXM" (Alexa also can stream audio from Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple Music, Pandora, IHeartRadio, TuneIn and Audible.)

But wait, there's more: "Alexa, turn on the house lights", "Alexa, turn up the heat", "Alexa, set a reminder to check the back seat whenever I park at home."

We are looking for a new car for my wife. We decided to buy our first EV. We visited our daughter and and we’re able to test drive both Teslas while there. On our the way home we were able to stop at a Ford dealer who had a Mach E available for test drives.

We drove the model Y first, white with black interior. We then drove the model 3, Blue with white interior. She mainly drove them, but I did get a chance to drive both on the way back to the dealer. My car history is heavy on performance. Multiple BMW M cars and pure gas guzzling sports cars (Dodge Viper ACR, etc.). I love the tech of the EVs as well as the insane straight line power. I was curious about the handling/cornering. I was pleasantly surprised by the Teslas. Obviously the Model 3 handled better than the Model Y due to the sedan vs SUV aspect. We liked how both rode, drove and handled. We also loved the tech loaded into both. The center screens are large and bright. They are integrated into the dash well (to the eye). The software was quick and relatively intuitive (especially if you use a smartphone/IPad). The interiors are clean and sleek, as everyone already knows.

The Mach E was black with black interior. It was the AWD version. The interior is more traditional with the drivers cluster and more switches and knobs. The center screen is in portrait orientation. It sadly looks like they glued an IPad to the dashboard. It just stuck out visually (something my wife also noted. The seats in the Mach E were the most comfortable. Rear legroom was surprisingly ample. The trunk/hatch was minuscule compared to the Model Y. We have a daughter who uses a wheelchair, so we gauge adequate truck/rear space by the ability to put the chair in. The Y, no problem putting the chair in upright. The Model 3 on its side. The Mach E we would have to remove the wheels and collapse the chair. I had more rear space in my M6. Driving/handling/ride of the Mach E was very comparable to the two Teslas. I fully understand that these cars won’t handle like a Viper, but they are pleasant to drive. The acceleration of the Mach E was anemic. Both Teslas destroy it in that department. The outside aesthetics go to the Mach E, IMO. It is a damn nice looking car. Not that the Y or 3 is ugly, just different. They definitely were using the lines of the Mustang to attract traditionalists. They got that one correct.

It was great to be able to drive these on the same day all in a row. In all honesty I was leaning towards the Mustang (especially with all of the hype and reviews), so much so that I had a deposit on one. And remember, I have no brand loyalty or predisposition to any maker. Well, this morning I contacted the dealer about getting a refund. Once that happens and my wife is ready we will be ordering a LR Model Y for her.

A side note, I wanted to sit in a Model S to see what the seat position is liked and there were none on the lot. Once my lease is up in a year I will most likely be getting the S. I’ll wait until later in the year for the Plaid version to be on the lot to drive and then decide between it and the + version.
The Mach E Mustang has 2 problems.

One, it's not a Mustang. Ford needs to call it something else.

Two, and I'm sorry to beat a dead horse (pun!), but can I take it on road trips? Where's the national charging network? No where. That's where. Only Tesla has one.

I could be swayed back to being a Ford guy, especially if Tesla does something dumb like putting yolk steering wheels in all of their cars. But not unless Ford has an electric car that is actually functional and can drive across country via a fast charging network.

It is amazing how many Tesla owners still have no idea how Amazon Alexa really works. When you have the Echo Auto installed
Count me in that group. I have an Amazon Echo and use it to control some lights in my basement office area. Pretty much unfamiliar with its auto counterpart. All these things you list - do they work in a Tesla?

(Some I can see working, others I'm unsure)

I use a Tesla Waze a fair amount. As much as I love the Tesla Tech I find navigation disappointing. It’s extremely easy to use via voice and always finds my destination with ease but you can’t change the routing and it’s been noted a thousand times it doesn’t allow you to add stops to the route. I feel V11 will have everything I miss but if it doesn’t I’ll be a bit bummed.

Reactions: 73Bruin
I agree with most of what you said but have to offer a counterpoint to your "amazingly well" claim about the wireless CarPlay dongles. Not saying your experience is fabricated. But I have one of those adapters and wouldn't call it amazing. It does a decent job most of the time. But it's not something that just works. Occasionally the phone will fail to connect and you have to unplug and replug to reboot the adapter. When it's working sometimes the screen response will get very sluggish or delayed and appear to freeze. Sometimes it actually does. The worst part is using it for navigation. It lags behind where you are. I've overshot my destination a few times. I'll look at the street then look at the screen and know that they're out of sync. Never notice that on the same system with a direct connection.

Are we making better the enemy of best here? What is the perfect solution that never has a glitch or a problem? I don't think I've ever had any type of device that has not had some type of glitch or goof up or need to be rebooted or what have you. So something that does a decent job most of the time seems like a reasonable solution in lieu of the perfect solution that I have yet to see.

Reactions: Daekwan
I use a Tesla Waze a fair amount. As much as I love the Tesla Tech I find navigation disappointing. It’s extremely easy to use via voice and always finds my destination with ease but you can’t change the routing and it’s been noted a thousand times it doesn’t allow you to add stops to the route. I feel V11 will have everything I miss but if it doesn’t I’ll be a bit bummed.

How big of a problem is the lack of way points? Its simple enough to change the destination to the way point and then when you get there go back to the original destination. I love the fact that I can not only use a voice command to navigate to the destination, but the screen will show a pop up with info about the destination (e.g. if its a store, is it open or closed).

To me the bigger issue (and the problem with any phone based system including the one in the MY) is that it is not based on satellite GPS. I had a lovely experience when driving from Las Vegas to Saint George Utah and Google maps suggested an alternate route based on 15 minutes of construction delays. Unfortunately, I lost cell service and the Maps app didn't notify me when that happened. So I was driving along happy as only a clueless person could be. When I finally realized I was lost, and checked Google Maps said it couldn't find any way to Saint George from my current location. The car had an old style GPS and when I turned it on, it said I was 30 miles past the turnoff. I arrived at my hotel over an hour later than I would have without the help of Google Maps.

To me the bigger issue (and the problem with any phone based system including the one in the MY) is that it is not based on satellite GPS.
You can download a region/route map from Google Maps to your phone for when you won't have reliable cell service. Perfect for traveling outside the US where roaming rates would apply. Also great for when you go off the grid.

• Informative
Reactions: efisher and 73Bruin
It is amazing how many Tesla owners still have no idea how Amazon Alexa really works. When you have the Echo Auto installed you get fully voice enabled Alexa for your ride. "Alexa, navigate to home." (works with Google Maps, Waze and Apple Maps). "Alex, call the dentist", "Alexa, play Classic Rock on SiriusXM" (Alexa also can stream audio from Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple Music, Pandora, IHeartRadio, TuneIn and Audible.)

But wait, there's more: "Alexa, turn on the house lights", "Alexa, turn up the heat", "Alexa, set a reminder to check the back seat whenever I park at home."

Why would someone want Alexa integration in their house?

The entire reason I personally prefer the Apple/Siri/Homekit route is security and privacy concerns. I guess other people either are completely unaware how much Amazon is tracking their daily activity or just are perfectly fine with allowing Amazon (and various other 3rd parties) to snoop through what is most private in their life.. all in exchange for cheaper solution. I feel exactly the same way about Google Home/Nest and products like Ring cameras. Not interested.

Here is exactly why you should avoid tying Amazon into your home: https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...a-has-been-eavesdropping-you-this-whole-time/

And exactly why I prefer Apple instead: https://www.apple.com/privacy/docs/A_Day_in_the_Life_of_Your_Data.pdf

Last edited:
You can download a region/route map from Google Maps to your phone for when you won't have reliable cell service. Perfect for traveling outside the US where roaming rates would apply. Also great for when you go off the grid.
Thank you. I didn't know that (also I didn't know I would lose cell service on that trip). From what Tesla sales told me, the Tesla app does this when you set a destination automatically. I have not verified this. I was looking at buying a Garmin GPS.