Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drove the Model Y, Model 3 and the Mach E back to back to back, yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Friend of mine highly encouraged me to get a Mach-e because it's "made by a more reputable manufacturer". As much as I think it's a good option for an EV, I don't know... it's too "new". No other manufacturers have gotten the "ev" thing right yet (besides Tesla). I know exactly what to expect with a Tesla. They've been around long enough...specifically in the EV world. They have a great charging network and I know I can drive it almost anywhere.

The Mach-e? Sure, it has the Ford name behind it... but Ford isn't know for their EVs yet. What about charging? I know they're trying to stand up their own network and I'm sure they're going to do well there... but this is their first real attempt at an EV. Plus, the range falls just a little shy of what I'm comfortable with.

I'm sure if I decided to get a Mach-e, I'd be super happy with it, but I'm glad I chose Tesla because I know EXACTLY what I got.
The Mach E looks like a reasonable car but I never once considered any American auto maker to be of “high quality”. Always leaned toward foreign builds until Tesla which was my first “American Made” car.

How big of a problem is the lack of way points? Its simple enough to change the destination to the way point and then when you get there go back to the original destination. I love the fact that I can not only use a voice command to navigate to the destination, but the screen will show a pop up with info about the destination (e.g. if its a store, is it open or closed).

To me the bigger issue (and the problem with any phone based system including the one in the MY) is that it is not based on satellite GPS. I had a lovely experience when driving from Las Vegas to Saint George Utah and Google maps suggested an alternate route based on 15 minutes of construction delays. Unfortunately, I lost cell service and the Maps app didn't notify me when that happened. So I was driving along happy as only a clueless person could be. When I finally realized I was lost, and checked Google Maps said it couldn't find any way to Saint George from my current location. The car had an old style GPS and when I turned it on, it said I was 30 miles past the turnoff. I arrived at my hotel over an hour later than I would have without the help of Google Maps.
All navigation systems use GPS (which determines your current location). If I am not mistaken, when you lose cell phone connection, Google map can’t reroute because it needs cell connection to access to their server (to use routing software which is needed when you get away from the current route).

All navigation systems use GPS (which determines your current location). If I am not mistaken, when you lose cell phone connection, Google map can’t reroute because it needs cell connection to access to their server (to use routing software which is needed when you get away from the current route).

Thank you for the clarification. So if I understand, your and jcanoe's posts, whenever I drive into an area where I may lose cell service and need map service, I need to download an off line map big enough to show the way back to either the destination or an area where I expect to have cell service and then switch to off-line maps. Is this correct? Sounds like its doable but not user friendly.

Meanwhile if I understand it correctly, the Tesla Navigation app, doesn't do rerouting based on road conditions but claims to download the required maps automatically and make it seamless.

Thank you for the clarification. So if I understand, your and jcanoe's posts, whenever I drive into an area where I may lose cell service and need map service, I need to download an off line map big enough to show the way back to either the destination or an area where I expect to have cell service and then switch to off-line maps. Is this correct? Sounds like its doable but not user friendly.

Meanwhile if I understand it correctly, the Tesla Navigation app, doesn't do rerouting based on road conditions but claims to download the required maps automatically and make it seamless.

In one of my post asking about navigation (to prepare for a trip to Utah’s national parks) when there is no cellular connection, one forum member was able to confirm that Tesla navigation continues to work without cell connection. However, searching for a new address won’t work unless you know the precise address since it appears that Tesla also needs cell connection to reach their server to support the search function.
I have not taken the trip (until the end of May), so I wouldn’t be able to confirm the information.

In one of my post asking about navigation (to prepare for a trip to Utah’s national parks) when there is no cellular connection, one forum member was able to confirm that Tesla navigation continues to work without cell connection. However, searching for a new address won’t work unless you know the precise address since it appears that Tesla also needs cell connection to reach their server to support the search function.
I have not taken the trip (until the end of May), so I wouldn’t be able to confirm the information.

Thank you. I guess this is a case where a Garmin type device might make sense.

We are looking for a new car for my wife. We decided to buy our first EV. We visited our daughter and and we’re able to test drive both Teslas while there. On our the way home we were able to stop at a Ford dealer who had a Mach E available for test drives.

Like you we test drove the Mach E and the Tesla Y... Instantly bought the Y. Nothing wrong with the Mach E, but it felt like a conventional car that was 'electrified' vs the MY which felt like it was purpose-built from the ground up. I'd be happy with the Mach E, I'm sure, but the Y was the clear winner, and my wife also agreed.

Hmm, I wonder if searching by name is affected but navigate still works (i.e. full maps on board), or both navigation is broken? My curreny Garmin (on my Subaru) basically is always "offline", so it's designed to work that way. I wouldn't mind if search was broken, but navigation to e.g. "favorite location" still works.

Just curious.

I saw that my local Ford dealer has multiple MME in stock and on order. I’ve often considered looking more heavily at the MME, especially when I read about build quality and body shop repair delays of the MY. I’m not planning road trips so the SC network is a small bonus for me.

I started down the path of Tesla MY for the performance and price point. The tax credit is guaranteed with the MME which is inviting and the range is pretty good with the MME as well.

I wish Tesla had their cars "in stock", and a tax credit (that’s what I’ve been holding out for - not a requirement but a nice to have).

I saw that my local Ford dealer has multiple MME in stock and on order. I’ve often considered looking more heavily at the MME, especially when I read about build quality and body shop repair delays of the MY. I’m not planning road trips so the SC network is a small bonus for me.

I started down the path of Tesla MY for the performance and price point. The tax credit is guaranteed with the MME which is inviting and the range is pretty good with the MME as well.

I wish Tesla had their cars "in stock", and a tax credit (that’s what I’ve been holding out for - not a requirement but a nice to have).
If you haven’t already, spend some time on https://www.macheclub.com/forums/ - it’s a lot like here! ;-)

• Funny
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Yes, I have been poking around there as well. Which is the lessor of two evils. Ford is huge and will have better customer service. But I would fully expect the usual growing pains for a brand new car technology. At least Chevy has years of experience with the Bolt, and Volt (my prior ride).

Also not sure how I feel about the 50,000 production plan for the MME. Bold strategy.

• Funny
Reactions: SO16
I think it's because no ICE manufacturer has been able to make the transition to BEV yet... they don't want 50,000 vehicles that they have to give away. At least for now, when people are serious about purchasing a BEV, chances are very high that they'll buy a Tesla. Major auto has to change that, but I think in order to do that they'll have to assume major risk... both by cannibalising their ICE sales and by manufacturing large quantities of vehicles that they're not sure they can sell.

I thought I read somewhere that Chevy takes a $9k loss on every Bolt they sell... and look at the Bolt - does anyone *really* want one?

Sorry if this has been mentioned here before, but this is a reasonably objective comparison:

(As a biased owner) I still believe non-owners don’t fully appreciate a Tesla as it’s more than just an EV!

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Why not go all in? Why say we will only produce 50,000?
This is the biggest strike against the MME in my opinion. I consider the Y, MME and ID.4 all competitors. VW has really bet the farm on EV, will be building a plant (or converting) in the US just for that vehicle. We all know there's a bleep-ton on Ys produced. Ford's product seems like a test market sample.