Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drove the Model Y, Model 3 and the Mach E back to back to back, yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are looking for a new car for my wife. We decided to buy our first EV. We visited our daughter and and we’re able to test drive both Teslas while there. On our the way home we were able to stop at a Ford dealer who had a Mach E available for test drives.

We drove the model Y first, white with black interior. We then drove the model 3, Blue with white interior. She mainly drove them, but I did get a chance to drive both on the way back to the dealer. My car history is heavy on performance. Multiple BMW M cars and pure gas guzzling sports cars (Dodge Viper ACR, etc.). I love the tech of the EVs as well as the insane straight line power. I was curious about the handling/cornering. I was pleasantly surprised by the Teslas. Obviously the Model 3 handled better than the Model Y due to the sedan vs SUV aspect. We liked how both rode, drove and handled. We also loved the tech loaded into both. The center screens are large and bright. They are integrated into the dash well (to the eye). The software was quick and relatively intuitive (especially if you use a smartphone/IPad). The interiors are clean and sleek, as everyone already knows.

The Mach E was black with black interior. It was the AWD version. The interior is more traditional with the drivers cluster and more switches and knobs. The center screen is in portrait orientation. It sadly looks like they glued an IPad to the dashboard. It just stuck out visually (something my wife also noted. The seats in the Mach E were the most comfortable. Rear legroom was surprisingly ample. The trunk/hatch was minuscule compared to the Model Y. We have a daughter who uses a wheelchair, so we gauge adequate truck/rear space by the ability to put the chair in. The Y, no problem putting the chair in upright. The Model 3 on its side. The Mach E we would have to remove the wheels and collapse the chair. I had more rear space in my M6. Driving/handling/ride of the Mach E was very comparable to the two Teslas. I fully understand that these cars won’t handle like a Viper, but they are pleasant to drive. The acceleration of the Mach E was anemic. Both Teslas destroy it in that department. The outside aesthetics go to the Mach E, IMO. It is a damn nice looking car. Not that the Y or 3 is ugly, just different. They definitely were using the lines of the Mustang to attract traditionalists. They got that one correct.

It was great to be able to drive these on the same day all in a row. In all honesty I was leaning towards the Mustang (especially with all of the hype and reviews), so much so that I had a deposit on one. And remember, I have no brand loyalty or predisposition to any maker. Well, this morning I contacted the dealer about getting a refund. Once that happens and my wife is ready we will be ordering a LR Model Y for her.

A side note, I wanted to sit in a Model S to see what the seat position is liked and there were none on the lot. Once my lease is up in a year I will most likely be getting the S. I’ll wait until later in the year for the Plaid version to be on the lot to drive and then decide between it and the + version.

Friend of mine highly encouraged me to get a Mach-e because it's "made by a more reputable manufacturer". As much as I think it's a good option for an EV, I don't know... it's too "new". No other manufacturers have gotten the "ev" thing right yet (besides Tesla). I know exactly what to expect with a Tesla. They've been around long enough...specifically in the EV world. They have a great charging network and I know I can drive it almost anywhere.

The Mach-e? Sure, it has the Ford name behind it... but Ford isn't know for their EVs yet. What about charging? I know they're trying to stand up their own network and I'm sure they're going to do well there... but this is their first real attempt at an EV. Plus, the range falls just a little shy of what I'm comfortable with.

I'm sure if I decided to get a Mach-e, I'd be super happy with it, but I'm glad I chose Tesla because I know EXACTLY what I got.

Friend of mine highly encouraged me to get a Mach-e because it's "made by a more reputable manufacturer". As much as I think it's a good option for an EV, I don't know... it's too "new". No other manufacturers have gotten the "ev" thing right yet (besides Tesla). I know exactly what to expect with a Tesla. They've been around long enough...specifically in the EV world. They have a great charging network and I know I can drive it almost anywhere.

The Mach-e? Sure, it has the Ford name behind it... but Ford isn't know for their EVs yet. What about charging? I know they're trying to stand up their own network and I'm sure they're going to do well there... but this is their first real attempt at an EV. Plus, the range falls just a little shy of what I'm comfortable with.

I'm sure if I decided to get a Mach-e, I'd be super happy with it, but I'm glad I chose Tesla because I know EXACTLY what I got.
My wife and I discussed almost every point you stated and came to the exact same conclusion. Tesla has been around longest, has by far the most robust charging network and has the edge in range (which hopefully soon will take an even bigger leap with the 4680 battery pack).

@ryanjeffords small note: Ford are not setting up their own charging network, they are instead partnering with Electrify America, like VW and Porsche and probably others (Hyundai/Kia as well? I think?). I don't think any other manufacturer is likely to start up their own charging network anytime soon (although EA was started by VW as I understand it, after their Diesel-gate issues) and they will probably all (except Tesla) converge on using EA, at least for the foreseeable future. Teslas in some ways have the "best of both worlds" as you can DCFC at a Supercharger but also use EA and others, albeit stuck at Level 2 speeds using the J1772 adapter.

But I agree about the MY being a more mature product, despite being only a year or so newer than the Mach-E, simply because it is heavily based on the M3 platform, which itself draws from Tesla's previous EV experience.

Did you test drive the MYP? The regular MYP is still slower than MYP you mention you're heavy into performance but didnt test drive Perf MY?
Both the Y and 3 were the LR version. Still way more sporty than the Mach E. We didn’t test the performance models, just because it’s for my wife and she isn’t into that (Don’t ask me why?!?). I will hopefully be able to test drive a Model S plaid version later in the year.

AlamoX - thanks for the test drive info. Although i suspect there is, or will be, a faster version of the Mach E for sale. I think there are four different trim levels. I've got a dual drive M3 and a standard range RWD MY. both seem plenty fast, but of course the M3 being lower and dual drive is quite a sporty ride! I do like the sound system in the M3 and MY since i constantly listen to music - mainly jazz. Did you try the sound system in the Mach E? Of course, i also like the center screen for Tesla, since there are tons of ways to tweak the car with the screen. and can even watch youtube music videos when parked! and of course, it has Dog Mode and Emissions Testing Mode.... That new Plaid Model S will be a Rocket Ship for sure! I am too old to test drive one. I'll just faint if i punch it! But you young folks will have a Blast!

AlamoX - thanks for the test drive info. Although i suspect there is, or will be, a faster version of the Mach E for sale. I think there are four different trim levels. I've got a dual drive M3 and a standard range RWD MY. both seem plenty fast, but of course the M3 being lower and dual drive is quite a sporty ride! I do like the sound system in the M3 and MY since i constantly listen to music - mainly jazz. Did you try the sound system in the Mach E? Of course, i also like the center screen for Tesla, since there are tons of ways to tweak the car with the screen. and can even watch youtube music videos when parked! and of course, it has Dog Mode and Emissions Testing Mode.... That new Plaid Model S will be a Rocket Ship for sure! I am too old to test drive one. I'll just faint if i punch it! But you young folks will have a Blast!

Thanks for the laugh.

• Funny
Reactions: kelly
My wife and I discussed almost every point you stated and came to the exact same conclusion. Tesla has been around longest, has by far the most robust charging network and has the edge in range (which hopefully soon will take an even bigger leap with the 4680 battery pack).

Ford is the company that sold the Pinto, despite it being unsafe. They rather settle lawsuits due to its design, then fix the car.

No charging network, less warranty and performance and 70% not made by Americans... why purchase an unknown...

The sound system in the Mach E was nice. I am more of a “as long as the system plays my music, I’m good” kind of audiophile. To me all 3 sound systems will work for us.

Reactions: brkaus
When you check out the Model S, fold the rear seats flat and check out the space. It is amazing how much that car will hold. I routinely put bikes, lawnmowers, etc in with no difficulty with my old S. You can easily sleep comfortably in the back space wise (I did several times on long trips). I have a M3P now and it is basically a BMW M3.. but I do miss that hatch back and the space.

Friend of mine highly encouraged me to get a Mach-e because it's "made by a more reputable manufacturer".

I'm not brand loyal, and rarely bad-mouth a manufacturer. However, both my recent Fords ( 2014 CMax, 2018 Fusion Energi (plug-in) were plagued with electrical issues that no one could solve. Both had parasitic drain that couldn't be found. We liked both cars very much, but changing batteries every 18 months to 2 years is ridiculous.

Mach-E???? Nope.

I'm not brand loyal, and rarely bad-mouth a manufacturer. However, both my recent Fords ( 2014 CMax, 2018 Fusion Energi (plug-in) were plagued with electrical issues that no one could solve. Both had parasitic drain that couldn't be found. We liked both cars very much, but changing batteries every 18 months to 2 years is ridiculous.

Mach-E???? Nope.

The Mach E is plagued with quality problems, including the parasitic drain problem your Ford's had. The doors seem to be a problem spot too, not opening, not being able to be closed, opening while driving. The panoramic roof sits up too high and makes wind noise at highway speeds and the screen behind the wheel makes a high pitched whine on some cars. A lot of cars have problems charging and DCFC charge will only work to 80% by design and then there's a steep cliff down to L2 speeds.